VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 02:19:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possibly Inaccurate Observations Re: Players  (Read 4361 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2018, 04:34:45 EDT »

Here's what I think I saw from the stands. Sample sizes are small.

Assets
JG
Tim Jordan
WRs
Jahmir Johnson
Shy Tuttle
Kyle Phillips wasn't great, but wasn't terrible
D. Taylor had flashes

Liabilities
Abernathy
Wolf botched at least two easy, important blocks
The freshmen DBs
Most of the DL
The return game

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:32:23 EDT »

Here's what I think I saw from the stands. Sample sizes are small.

Assets
JG
Tim Jordan
WRs
Jahmir Johnson
Shy Tuttle
Kyle Phillips wasn't great, but wasn't terrible
D. Taylor had flashes

Liabilities
Abernathy
Wolf botched at least two easy, important blocks
The freshmen DBs
Most of the DL
The return game

Disagree on the FR DBs.  Yes, not brillant but both Taylor and Flowers flashed and showed some good instincts.  UF & GA will be better tests IMO.
Did Kongbo play?  If so he didn't do a damned thing.
Buchanon was giving a ton of cushion all night.
The safety play needs great improvement in general.  AB continues to be a liability
I thought Tuttle had a good game, especialy as they game wore on

Couple of other thoughts:
Offense:
The WR play was much improved, they ran much better routes (as much as one can tell on TV - get a better idea when I see 'em in person in 3 weeks)
JG and the WR seemed to be on the same page for the most part.  I thought JJ had a good game in limited opportunities\The"vaunted" TE game for the most part was non existent (similar to Butch's proclamations we will be using the TEs and then they disappear at game time)

The OL, after a horrendous start, improved over the game.  They weren't to SEC standards IMO but they did improve - coaching effect was observed.  The staff was not afraid to try different combinations.  It was interesting that Johnson came back in at LG in the 2nd half and played much better than the 1st quarter. 

JG had more time to throw than at any point last year.  Hell, on one play WV came in an all out blitz, at least 6, maybe 7 rushers.  The OL game JG just enough time to get a hot throw off for a nice gain, more please going forward.

Defense:
With the WV offense it is difficult to get a consistent pass rush.  The most disappointing thing is there were several opportunities missed because we couldn't get Grier on the ground
Against the run the OL and LB were very poor.  Perhaps a bit better than last year but that is daming with (very) faint praise.

It appears that no matter who the DC is we SUCK at zone coverage

Safety play was NOT good, across the board.  When a true FR (Flowers) plays the best then you know you  have issues.  BTW, did Shamburger play?  If so, did nothing noteworthy at nickle.  Warrior was Warrior, in that he flashed his athletic ability but not necessarily playing within the scheme.  AB continued his regression from last year.

Not as much press coverage as we were led to believe.  Taylor more than any other DB was typically in press.  All to often we were playing off.   As a result little to no effect on their WR routes and they are too good to allow  that. 

With all the above, we were better than last year on defense.  It will be interesting to see how much improvement over the next two cupcakes occurs and if we are better prepared to play SEC level defense when UF comes to town.

The offense was much improved after the 1st quarter.  Still far too many missed assignments but, in general, much improved over last year.

Looking forward to seeing this team in person against UF

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 07:02:21 EDT »

Good post, Pirate.

Kongbo had one (1) asst.....that's it. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. IMO he needs to move inside and put his hand in the dirt to be sort of effective. Need talent on defense to compete with the good teams....and need play makers on offense. Need one or 2 that is dangerous when the ball touches their hands. Got to get JJ more involved in the offense....he needs to touch the ball in some form or fashion 10-12 times per game.

We've got ways to go and I think yesterday on defense proved that having a defensive coach like Pruitt who has multiply NC rings that Shoop just didn't forget how to coach defense the past 2 years.....It's the chicken salad out of chicken crap thing. Got to recruit SEC elite talent.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 04:01:39 EDT »

Think you nailed it Pirate.

Would just add a general observation that offense looked much better coordinated as a team and saw some good play calls. Boosts my confidence in Helton. Not saying execution was flawless but at times very sharp and much better than last year. Just felt better about offense in spite of only 14 points.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 04:09:26 EDT »

I should have clarified I have high hopes for the freshman DBs, and am glad they're playing. In week one they were liabilities, but by season's end that could change.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:06:07 EDT »

Was at the game. When we failed on the 3rd and goal before our first TD the offense started trotting toward the sideline. They were meet by fiery HC Pruitt and a couple of other coaches rushing onto the field and pumping their fist to get them back on the field. I imagine the words were very encouraging.

I was please to see the I formation this weekend. I am guessing that 70+% of our rushing yards were from the I with a 3 WR set.

Pass protection improved as the game progressed and Palmer actually caught some passes. You have to believe that the overall improvement with the WR's is related to the new WR coach.

Alontae Taylor played very well in man coverage. He is going to be a good one. We need someone a FS to step up because Abernathy is limited.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 08:15:21 EDT »

Was at the game. When we failed on the 3rd and goal before our first TD the offense started trotting toward the sideline. They were meet by fiery HC Pruitt and a couple of other coaches rushing onto the field and pumping their fist to get them back on the field. I imagine the words were very encouraging.

I'm afraid Pruitt ain't gonna be able undo the Butch Jones effect overnight... may be too late for some of the older players.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 08:27:49 EDT »

I'm afraid Pruitt ain't gonna be able undo the Butch Jones effect overnight... may be too late for some of the older players.

And the usual catch-22 is that if he can't at least show SOME progress with Butch's players, he going to have problems attracting talented players of his own.

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 09:19:22 EDT »

And the usual catch-22 is that if he can't at least show SOME progress with Butch's players, he going to have problems attracting talented players of his own.

It's a huge catch 22. Right now everyone is saying, "Relax. Let's get this next recruiting class under our belts." But if we lose 5 straight in blowout fashion after these next 2 creampuffs, that No. 8 recruiting class is going to fall apart, just like Butch's recruiting class fell apart last year. It gets even worse if we can't right the ship in November and go 0-for-3 after Charlotte...and the team that showed up Saturday against WVU will not beat Missouri, Kentucky or Vandy. I mean, I THINK this team will improve enough to have a shot at those teams...but Tennessee being Tennessee, I'm sure not holding my breath.

My cautious optimism has turned into a gigantic dose of pessimism at the moment. Hopefully we see a lot of improvements over the next two weeks before Florida rolls into town.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 03:53:38 EDT »

It's a huge catch 22. Right now everyone is saying, "Relax. Let's get this next recruiting class under our belts." But if we lose 5 straight in blowout fashion after these next 2 creampuffs, that No. 8 recruiting class is going to fall apart, just like Butch's recruiting class fell apart last year. It gets even worse if we can't right the ship in November and go 0-for-3 after Charlotte...and the team that showed up Saturday against WVU will not beat Missouri, Kentucky or Vandy. I mean, I THINK this team will improve enough to have a shot at those teams...but Tennessee being Tennessee, I'm sure not holding my breath.

My cautious optimism has turned into a gigantic dose of pessimism at the moment. Hopefully we see a lot of improvements over the next two weeks before Florida rolls into town.

I'd push back slightly....WVU has one of the top five, perhaps THE best passing attacks the country.   And we played 3 true DB frosh in the two deep with two of them starting.  Yes, they will improve, and that will help make my point, but far more important is that on a good day, or maybe even an above average day, I could mistake the Mizzou QB and WRs for WVU.  Vandy and Kentucky?  Faghedaboutit!   WVU exploited our greatest weakness and were uniquely suited to do so. I have no such concerns with UK and vandy, and we should be able to score on both of them by November. 

I share your concerns about recruiting falling apart, but three things....one, players are not stupid.  they recognize Pruitt is just starting, and they are going to have at least 2-3 more years to get early playing time with him. Two, although the chances for 0-5 are unfortunately fairly high, we really just don't know how this is gong to play out yet.   We may win one, or even two, and if not we may come close to an upset like Jones did against uga in year one of his tenure.  There are no moral victories, but on the recruiting trail you can point to a close loss to a top program and say "if we have you we can win the next one" and that often works.  Did for Jones anyway.

But the biggest factor is that Jones had one foot out the door and all the 'cruits knew it.  Pruitt does not have that issue.  not this season anyway.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 05:21:54 EDT »

IMO Pruitt will pull off the band aid before long and go with youth and his players....and I hope he does. Not going to win much with the seniors and we need to get it going with players who will be here 3-4 more years. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 05:30:19 EDT »

IMO Pruitt will pull off the band aid before long and go with youth and his players....and I hope he does. Not going to win much with the seniors and we need to get it going with players who will be here 3-4 more years. 

Except the only class of "his" players ranked 8th in the SEC. And the best player in that class, by far, just got here on Friday and won't be ready for a while. If Pruitt relies too much on those guys this year, we're guaranteed another SEC 0-fer.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 05:51:47 EDT »

He already has.  Sat a DB and put a true frosh in his place Saturday, may have been others I am unaware of.

As to your comment below about Trey Smith being the only player that would start for LSU.  Really?  I'm not sure their QB is any better than Gurantano, not from what I have seen.  But other than QB, would you say that one of our true frosh DBs would start if they had a year under their belt?  Is that possible?    Same question of Peterson.

As for upperclassmen, maybe Tuttle? Kirtland without all the injuries?  Warrior?   Hard to believe we would only have one.  I agree that we need a lot more talent, but I would hope more than just Trey Smith could start at LSU, Auburn, or even bammer.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 07:44:02 EDT »

He already has.  Sat a DB and put a true frosh in his place Saturday, may have been others I am unaware of.

As to your comment below about Trey Smith being the only player that would start for LSU.  Really?  I'm not sure their QB is any better than Gurantano, not from what I have seen.  But other than QB, would you say that one of our true frosh DBs would start if they had a year under their belt?  Is that possible?    Same question of Peterson.

As for upperclassmen, maybe Tuttle? Kirtland without all the injuries?  Warrior?   Hard to believe we would only have one.  I agree that we need a lot more talent, but I would hope more than just Trey Smith could start at LSU, Auburn, or even bammer.
Warrior has great talent but apparently little mind for the game. 
It seems that he has difficulty in making reads (saw that 1st hand at SCe a couple of years ago on their winning TD)
Seem to result in him a=laying VERY tentative Saturday

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 12:49:24 EDT »

I'd be tempted to move Jennings to safety, and Jahmir Johnson to DE, but it's too late for them to learn new positions. Plus, Johnson is needed to shore up the OL.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 04:28:21 EDT »

I'd be tempted to move Jennings to safety, and Jahmir Johnson to DE, but it's too late for them to learn new positions. Plus, Johnson is needed to shore up the OL.

They did move Jennings to safety, or talk about him playing both ways.  Nothing much came of it.  Same thing with Tyler Boyd, who, I am not even sure played Saturday at WR.

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 04:29:47 EDT »

If I was Pruitt, over the next 3 weeks before Florida I would prioritize finding one person that can provide some type of pass rush. Maybe that is Deandre Johnson, or Austin Smith, or Jordan Allen, or moving Bituli to the JACK --- but someone needs to step up in this area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: