VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:56:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian Snitker is going to win NL Manager of the Year  (Read 1728 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2018, 01:13:15 EDT »

And the Braves will never win a championship with Snitker as manager. Both of these things are true.

I get that they are in first place, and have exceeded all expectations this year. It sounds crazy to say this in the face of that bottom line- but this club needs a change ASAP.

I love the way he's handled the lineup. Moving Acuna to leadoff was a stroke of genius. He's moved Inciarte to different spots in the order, and he's responded every time.

But this man can't handle a pitching staff to save his life. His stubborn refusal to allow the starters to pitch more than 5-6 innings is proving to be a poor philosophy. I was worried back in May and June that he was overworking the bullpen and they were in for a crash, and that seems to have played out.

His late inning substitutions have been questionable at best, disastrous at worst (see "defensive replacement" Adam Duvall in that debacle against Boston last week).

Snit was the right guy for the time he was hired. When the Braves were in rebuilding mode and wanted to develop all these kids, it made sense to have a guy who had worked with them in the minors all those years. But they are now looking at a 5-6 year window of contention, and they need someone who will put them in position to win games against teams like Boston, Chicago, and LA. It would be a real shame to waste all this talent. The clock is now ticking.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:17:28 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 01:44:02 EDT »

Did you post this before the top of the 9th? 

Having pitchers go only 6 innings is the thing now. Today I guess he figured that Tookie was losing steam
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:48:16 EDT »

Did you post this before the top of the 9th? 

I did. But I still don't trust the bullpen to hold this lead.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 04:07:08 EDT »

I did. But I still don't trust the bullpen to hold this lead.

You are just super pessimistic about all your sports.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:24:06 EDT »

I'm loving every minute of this season. The ups and the downs. I'll take being in first place. They are just not ready to beat Boston, Houston, Chicago and those loaded type teams in a long series. But in the post season, anything can happen.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:09:48 EDT »

I have to laugh at the world we live in. Snitker probably wins the NL manager of the Year and some of us want him fired.  But like it or not, it's all about championships and everyone wants a coach who can win one.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 08:40:59 EDT »

I have to laugh at the world we live in. Snitker probably wins the NL manager of the Year and some of us want him fired.  But like it or not, it's all about championships and everyone wants a coach who can win one.

I get it. No one expected the Braves to be where they are this year. Logically, you can't fire him after a season like this. But beginning next year, the expectations go up (maybe WAY up, depending on who they acquire in the offseason). If he continues to pull starters who are cruising after 5-6 innings, just to watch the bullpen cough up the lead night after night, most people probably won't be so patient. Even in last night's win, he pulled Newcomb who had the lead and had only allowed three baserunners in six innings. The bullpen held, but that's the exception to the rule lately.

And again, the clock is ticking. Acuna has 6 years of contractual control, Albies 5, and Swanson and Camargo 4 each. Freeman's contract is up in 3 years. The Braves don't have the deep pockets of the Yankees, Sox, or Cubs. They won't be able to keep all of these guys. There is an open window here- the right manager can win a World Series with this core group of players. But that window won't be open forever. Is Snitker the guy? If so, great. If not, they need to rip off the bandage as soon as possible.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: