VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 02:52:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9/11...  (Read 2397 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:14:15 EDT »

I still get chills thinking about that day and thinking of how it changed the world.  I find myself reading recounts of the day.

For those of you on Twitter, Ari Fleischer (W's WH Press Secretary) always tweets a minute by minute recount of that day accompanying the President.

This is also a good write up, too:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/were-the-only-plane-in-the-sky-214230
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:02:43 EDT »

Good read.  I never did like the decision not to return to DC, and it's interesting to read how opposed to it that Bush was.  I can't believe they were able to overide the President, but I suppose if he had insisted hard enough he could have had his way.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:44:27 EDT »

That was an interesting piece by Politico. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his policies and his overall job performance, I felt President Bush did a tremendous job in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. No one will admit it now, 17 years later, but we were a nation that was literally scared ****less. Bush had a calming influence. His leadership in those days and weeks after the attacks was second-to-none.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:22:44 EDT »

That was an interesting piece by Politico. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his policies and his overall job performance, I felt President Bush did a tremendous job in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. No one will admit it now, 17 years later, but we were a nation that was literally scared ****less. Bush had a calming influence. His leadership in those days and weeks after the attacks was second-to-none.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:19:47 EDT »

Every year on this day, I reflect on how angry, determined, and united our people were in the days following the attacks. It seemed like everyone in America was ready to take up arms and go personally hunt down OBL. The flag was EVERYWHERE. Contrast that with today. If 9/11 happened now, I dare say half our population would side with the terrorists.

It's sad how soft we've become.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:42:52 EDT »

Every year on this day, I reflect on how angry, determined, and united our people were in the days following the attacks. It seemed like everyone in America was ready to take up arms and go personally hunt down OBL. The flag was EVERYWHERE. Contrast that with today. If 9/11 happened now, I dare say half our population would side with the terrorists.

It's sad how soft we've become.

We were soft before it happened, but it united us.  I think that would happen again.  And even in 2001 there was a small minority that wasn't onboard.

Man dude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1HCQcSHW0

You are super negative these days

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 02:07:17 EDT »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 04:41:13 EDT »

Don't.  Ever.  Forget. 

What bothers me is that young folks who weren't even born yet or who were not old enough to remember 9-11 are now old enough to vote and all they know is what the lame stream media is writing about their revisionist history accounts of why 9-11 happened.   That's not a good thing. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 04:38:32 EDT »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NjGcCI9ByWw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/NjGcCI9ByWw</a>
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 04:50:09 EDT »

Finished up reading, only got halfway through yesterday.  Still think Card erred in not returning to Washington earlier, and really shocked the Prez didn't just overide him.  Also think the Major flying the plane got a bit too big for his britches. 

Also think some of the principals speaking were pretty wussed out.  One guy said it was chilling to see the President walk into a concrete bunker in Offut.  Really?  You should be glad he's safe!  Man up!  And throughout, they were shocked, it was awful. They were confused.  They were worried.  Aren't they (press on board aside) the professionals paid to deal with this type of crisis.  Soft.  So soft. 

I was personally shocked but only briefly. I was on vacation in Mexico at the time, and only heard about it about 30 or so minutes in.  My girlfriend told me about it (someone had called her) and we turned on the TV in the condo we were staying in, and within seconds the first building fell.  That was shocking. I of course knew about the 1993 attack and I said "well they got it this time".  And for a few minutes I was just stunned. And then...I was over it!  Just like that.  I just wanted to get my hands on a terrorist - any terrorist.  I was in Puerta Vallarto, one of the better places in Mexico, and didn't know how long it would take to get a flight, but hey, worse places to be stuck, right?  As it turns out, 911 was on a Tuesday and my Saturday flight only got delayed a day.  So on that Sunday as I was in line for the flight, a couple from New York was behind me,and I could tell they were upset.  We spoke and they talked about how shocking it would be for them to land in New York and not see the towers.  I had my federal passport (I work for Uncle Same)  with me as I had never bothered to get personal passport,and they asked me if I thought our plane would be attacked ( I think they thought I was with federal security lol!).  I replied "if they do it won't work".  And that was my attitude.  I would go after the sunsubitches if they tried.  I didn't understand all the people - or maybe it was just the media - in the weeks after curled up into a little ball as if there was a terrorist under every rock.  I cringed watching the folks on CNBC worry about their damned investments, like all that mattered was money. I cringed again when W begged people to go out and spend as if that was all that mattered.  But though the attacks were bad, IMO they were a blip compared to the totality of WW II.  The bloodiness of the civil war.  To a lesser extent WW I, and heck just about any real war we have ever fought.

It was shocking to see it happen in our biggest city and include the Pentagon in DC, but at the end of the day it was 3000-4000 deaths and some infrastructure damage.  Our country has survived far worse.  It was more of a PR victory for them than anything else.  And then we immediately went into Afghanistan and WHIPPED THEIR ASSES.   Was proud of that.  Later detour to Iraq, not so much.

But bottom line...I agree with BDV in that we have way too many soft people in this country.  Resolve was stiffened in 2001 but is slacking again.  But we will persevere I have no doubt. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: