VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 08:57:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Thread: UTEP  (Read 7169 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2018, 07:04:16 EDT »

I'm stuck painting instead of watching, so your keen insights are appreciated.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 07:11:41 EDT »

I'm stuck painting instead of watching, so your keen insights are appreciated.
We suck... other than that ....we will win this one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Evol Knievol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 07:17:15 EDT »

Penalties and fumbles.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:41:46 EDT »

Yikes! Unmm, anything positive?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 07:51:55 EDT »

Guarantano still looks good.  Should have had 2 more TDs but a fumble at the goal line by Banks trying to reach the ball across the goal line..and penalties..way too many penalties.  Just frustrating to watch.   

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:54:28 EDT »

Nice 81 yard run by Chandler for a TD.  Best positive of today!  17-0 Vols

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 08:35:49 EDT »

Thanks Granny!

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 08:39:42 EDT »

Nice drive.. 11 plays, 71 yards by the Vols..24-0 now

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 09:21:34 EDT »

What an electric atmosphere in Neyland today. I could practically smell the excitement emanating from my TV.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 09:47:30 EDT »

What an electric atmosphere in Neyland today. I could practically smell the excitement emanating from my TV.
LOL!!!

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:50:53 EDT »

If this were high school football I would say we might get mercy-ruled in all 8 SEC games. As it is, I’m afraid we might wish that CFB had a mercy rule. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 10:01:00 EDT »

If this were high school football I would say we might get mercy-ruled in all 8 SEC games. As it is, I’m afraid we might wish that CFB had a mercy rule. 

Meh.  Lackluster effort today still a 24-0 snoozer, and UTEP was running the shot clock down every play.  Could have been much better today, but truer test against the gators next week.

they suxes also BTW   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 11:54:44 EDT »

Meh.  Lackluster effort today still a 24-0 snoozer, and UTEP was running the shot clock down every play.  Could have been much better today, but truer test against the gators next week.

they suxes also BTW  

Florida is killing a team right now that would beat UTEP by 30
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 12:15:03 EDT »

There is absolutely no way to put lipstick on this pig right now. Anyone who tries to extol the positives of today’s game is grasping at straws.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 01:01:14 EDT »

There is absolutely no way to put lipstick on this pig right now. Anyone who tries to extol the positives of today’s game is grasping at straws.

Yep.  Hoped to see something today that gave me hope vs UF... what I saw today was not that.  What I saw today looked like a 4-8 team.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 01:14:02 EDT »

Well let's face it. If we were any good we wouldn't be on our fourth new coach in the last 10 or so years.

I hate that we have to rebuild. I hate year zero, year one, wait 'til next year, give us a few years of recruiting, so on and so on, blah, blah, blah.

Hell, I'm not getting any younger and I hate this situation.

But that's where we are and all that fans can do is clench the cheeks and hope for better days. Soon.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 01:37:41 EDT »

Yep.  Hoped to see something today that gave me hope vs UF... what I saw today was not that.  What I saw today looked like a 4-8 team.

Without some major improvement, I see 3-9. We'll beat Charlotte. But find me another win.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 01:41:29 EDT »

Without some major improvement, I see 3-9. We'll beat Charlotte. But find me another win.

I still don't think we lose to Mizzou, Vandy, and UK.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 02:03:34 EDT »

No one is putting any lipstick on pigs.  Just not going to read too much into this game one way or the other.  It was just a scrimmage.  Not going to get too excited about it. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 02:24:25 EDT »

That's pretty optimistic. A lot can change between now and November- but if any of those games were being played next week, we'd be underdogs to all three.

Creek Walker
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 03:03:24 EDT »

I'm going to be brutally honest here: That team I saw out there today would struggle to beat Charlotte. Yes, I know Charlotte was 1-11 last year and they're still brand new to the FBS, but they were a tougher team last year than their record indicated. They played some decent teams close. And they're improved this year. As of right now, Charlotte would beat UTEP by 2-3 touchdowns, at least.

Now, I'm assuming that Tennessee is going to improve enough between now and November that the Charlotte game won't even be close. But I didn't think the UTEP game would be close either. I also see a 3-9 season at this point, but I'd love to be wrong.
Creek Walker
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 03:06:02 EDT »

No one is putting any lipstick on pigs.  Just not going to read too much into this game one way or the other.  It was just a scrimmage.  Not going to get too excited about it. 

That's just the problem. This was a scrimmage team, and we could manage only a field goal in the first quarter, only 10 points in the first half...a mediocre FCS team scored more on that bunch IN THEIR STADIUM than we scored on them today in our place. That's embarrassing. This is the worst Tennessee offense I can ever recall.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 03:13:56 EDT »

I hope you are right. Vandy just lost by 5 to ND today. I'm thinking..... to bad we don't play Arky. We might beat them. I just worry about all the SEC teams beating us bad in the trenches.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 03:28:15 EDT »

I hope you are right. Vandy just lost by 5 to ND today. I'm thinking..... to bad we don't play Arky. We might beat them. I just worry about all the SEC teams beating us bad in the trenches.
I am really dreading the 3 game run of UGa, Auburn and Bama.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 03:29:13 EDT »

I'm going to be brutally honest here: That team I saw out there today would struggle to beat Charlotte. Yes, I know Charlotte was 1-11 last year and they're still brand new to the FBS, but they were a tougher team last year than their record indicated. They played some decent teams close. And they're improved this year. As of right now, Charlotte would beat UTEP by 2-3 touchdowns, at least.

Now, I'm assuming that Tennessee is going to improve enough between now and November that the Charlotte game won't even be close. But I didn't think the UTEP game would be close either. I also see a 3-9 season at this point, but I'd love to be wrong.

To be fair, today's game wasn't really "close". Maybe the final score was closer than we'd like, but it's not like we were ever in danger of losing- this wasn't a UMass-type game. Plus, between turnovers, penalties, and a terrible replay review, we left at least 2 TDs on the field, probably more. And all of those things are easily fixable. We outgained them 512-134, so the score would've been much more lopsided if we had just played cleanly. I'm not reading too much into this game.

But I AM reading a lot into what our future opponents are doing. UK won by double digits in Gainesville. Vandy gave ND all they could handle in South Bend. We'll be decided underdogs to both. And though we don't really know much about Mizzou as of yet, I DO know what happened when we played the only other pass-heavy team on our schedule two weeks ago. So I don't feel so good about that one, either. And those are our three "easiest" games remianing (besides Charlotte).

It looks like the two worst teams in the SEC (other than us ) are Arkansas and Ole Miss. We miss them both this year, natch.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:31:46 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: