VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 02:26:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In case you missed the Braves game today...  (Read 1785 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2018, 04:46:09 EDT »

Braves pitchers issued 14 walks in the loss to the gnats. That's a new franchise record. And this franchise is nearly 140 years old.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:09:35 EDT »

I don't know why they walk so many. It's like they are nibbling at the plate rather than challenging the hitters. Maddox and Glavine would walk hitters rather than give in. But these guys walk hitters without trying to make them hit it.

And I would like to see the statistics on two strike hits given up.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:21:59 EDT »

I don't know why they walk so many. It's like they are nibbling at the plate rather than challenging the hitters. Maddox and Glavine would walk hitters rather than give in. But these guys walk hitters without trying to make them hit it.

And I would like to see the statistics on two strike hits given up.

Walks AND strikeouts seem to be up dramatically across MLB.

My theory is that it has lot to do with modern defensive deployments. When you're shifting the infield for nearly every hitter, the pitcher is under more pressure to nibble at the corners so the ball is hit to the desired side. When they're not hitting their spots...they walk 14 guys.

Meanwhile, hitters are increasingly trying to hit the ball OVER the shift rather than away from it. This is why BS stats like launch angle and exit velocity have become a thing. Thus, they're swinging and missing far more often.

If you couldn't tell, I don't really like what the modern game has become.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:53:32 EDT »

My theory is that it has lot to do with modern defensive deployments. When you're shifting the infield for nearly every hitter, the pitcher is under more pressure to nibble at the corners so the ball is hit to the desired side. When they're not hitting their spots...they walk 14 guys.

Meanwhile, hitters are increasingly trying to hit the ball OVER the shift rather than away from it. This is why BS stats like launch angle and exit velocity have become a thing. Thus, they're swinging and missing far more often.

If Freeman would bunt down the third base line the ball would roll into left field and he would get a double. I realize that the pitchers are trying to throw into the shift, but they don't always succeed.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:30:11 EDT »

I hardly watch or follow baseball at all, but what you describe above sounds actually more interesting to me than the "classic game".   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 06:59:33 EDT »

If Freeman would bunt down the third base line the ball would roll into left field and he would get a double. I realize that the pitchers are trying to throw into the shift, but they don't always succeed.

Ah, but baseball's "advanced metrics" say that Freeman is more productive swinging for the RF wall and making an out 85% of the time, than trying to poke it through the left side and reaching first base 70% of the time. Because if he pulls it, sometimes it'll go for extra bases. That's the theory, anyway.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:46:09 EDT »

Ah, but baseball's "advanced metrics" say that Freeman is more productive swinging for the RF wall and making an out 85% of the time, than trying to poke it through the left side and reaching first base 70% of the time. Because if he pulls it, sometimes it'll go for extra bases. That's the theory, anyway.

Analytics don't like.

Maybe Butch should switch to baseball.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: