VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:08:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disaster Report  (Read 4181 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2018, 06:19:59 EDT »

Offense:
OL: Rarely on the same page across the line.  Do not move the LOS.  Our LG was poor IMO, Subed in the 4th and improved.  Believe it or not by Richmond had a descent game.  Pruitt in post game seemed to indocate the first sack/fumble wasn't on the OL
RB:  31 had a descent night but has no speed or wiggle.  We tried to run outside and had zero success, bur for once.  Also, if we are going to use a FB it might be helpful to follow him into the hole.
WR:  We have two that I would depend on in Callaway and Jennings.  Jennings played quite a bit tonight and played well.  He still likes to hit people blocking.  Johnson wasn't factor, Palmer with dropitis, Byrd non factor
QB:  Hurt by poor OL play and a bad OC - I think we were well into the 3rd quarter before Helton figured out it was legal to throw on first down   JG was pressing.  The B/U isn't a SEC level QB IMO.
Offensive coaching:  not observed

Defense:
DL:  Couldn't tackle their shadow early but improved to at least slowing them down.  Tuttle played pretty well
ILB:  Ignot is good, Bituli is good, Kirtland Jr, isn't as good as he was
OLB:  The best thing is Kombo played very little
Secondary:  The kids can play, the veterans not so much.  Warrior isn't living up to the hype.  I don't know who busted the coverage on their long TD pass but it was on Buchanon's side.
Interesting that late Taylor swapped from the right to the left side.
Some weird things:  The busted coverage TD, the first play in the 3rd quarter after the fumbled kick return, where it seemed the entire defense was studying to be bull fighters
Coaching:  Pruitt is very much in your face, ask Bituli.  Interesting that in the post game Pruitt said he had them in the wrong defense on their late long TD run but that didn't stop Pruitt from getting in Bituli's face.  Interesting is that pre-snap Bituli was trying to get someone else into position on that side.

Kicking Game:  We didn't lose it but 2 onsides kicks we should have recovered and the double fumble on the 3rd uarter KO (Changed returners for subsequent KOs but what is the deal with London being the other deep receiver on KOs?

We got a long ways to go

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:49:09 EDT »

Agree with it all.....Very disappointed in the OC. The play calling was bad and didn't help Gitmo at all most of the game. We are trying to run a power offense with non-power players. You've got to be creative when you are out manned...use quick passes as your running game a lot more. Trying to run power between the tackles time after time after time make me wonder if the OC is a complete idiot. I wasn't sold on him as the OC from the get go.....still not.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:10:17 EDT »

Offense:
OL: Rarely on the same page across the line.  Do not move the LOS.  Our LG was poor IMO, Subed in the 4th and improved.  Believe it or not by Richmond had a descent game.  Pruitt in post game seemed to indocate the first sack/fumble wasn't on the OL
RB:  31 had a descent night but has no speed or wiggle.  We tried to run outside and had zero success, bur for once.  Also, if we are going to use a FB it might be helpful to follow him into the hole.
WR:  We have two that I would depend on in Callaway and Jennings.  Jennings played quite a bit tonight and played well.  He still likes to hit people blocking.  Johnson wasn't factor, Palmer with dropitis, Byrd non factor
QB:  Hurt by poor OL play and a bad OC - I think we were well into the 3rd quarter before Helton figured out it was legal to throw on first down   JG was pressing.  The B/U isn't a SEC level QB IMO.
Offensive coaching:  not observed

Defense:
DL:  Couldn't tackle their shadow early but improved to at least slowing them down.  Tuttle played pretty well
ILB:  Ignot is good, Bituli is good, Kirtland Jr, isn't as good as he was
OLB:  The best thing is Kombo played very little
Secondary:  The kids can play, the veterans not so much.  Warrior isn't living up to the hype.  I don't know who busted the coverage on their long TD pass but it was on Buchanon's side.
Interesting that late Taylor swapped from the right to the left side.
Some weird things:  The busted coverage TD, the first play in the 3rd quarter after the fumbled kick return, where it seemed the entire defense was studying to be bull fighters
Coaching:  Pruitt is very much in your face, ask Bituli.  Interesting that in the post game Pruitt said he had them in the wrong defense on their late long TD run but that didn't stop Pruitt from getting in Bituli's face.  Interesting is that pre-snap Bituli was trying to get someone else into position on that side.

Kicking Game:  We didn't lose it but 2 onsides kicks we should have recovered and the double fumble on the 3rd uarter KO (Changed returners for subsequent KOs but what is the deal with London being the other deep receiver on KOs?

We got a long ways to go

I watched the replay of first sack/fumble... The LT had his guy. The RB picked up one guy, but two were coming. Is that on the QB for not reading it? Maybe should have motioned the TE over? fizzle idk. Something went wrong!!! RB can't block two unaccounted for rushers. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 07:47:09 EDT »

Most likely the TE blew a assignment
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:14 EDT »

RB whiffed the block on the first sack/fumble

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 02:21:23 EDT »

Good, but depressing info.

Our OC is a concern.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 02:53:18 EDT »

A few more points:
On punt/kick returns:
We have no dynamic KO return man in the game.  We have a slow assed 2nd deep man.  Blocking was pitiful, not coordinated at all
On punt returns I think Callaway can be very good.  However, if we do't slow down the gunners (looking Taylor who hasn't touched their left gunner all night) then he has zero (0) chance to get any kind of return
On kick-offs we have a good kicker who even when he doesn't get it into the endzone has good height/hang time for coverage.  Coverage isn't as good as it was with Butch
As for the OL I would start (L-R) 73 56 70 75 51 (though I shudder still with 51)  Jahmir may work his ass off and have some good technique but he isn't a SEC caliber OG, perhaps swap him and Trey might work as well because Trey has struggled some at LT though he was better last night, in general

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 04:21:06 EDT »

Probably in the minority, but I would move Trey Smith inside to Guard. I think long term he is a guard now and at the next level. With that, I would work with this OL this week for the gauntlet:

LT - Richmond - (best available with the most snaps at this position)
LG - Smith - (allows him to help with Richmond)
C - Locklear - (R. Johnson got pushed around and will only get worse in the coming weeks)
RG - Carvin - (Physical player and that is what we need now, plus gaining experience will only help)
RT - Best in practice between J. Johnson, Hall, Tatum, R. Johnson, and Niehaus
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 08:40:33 EDT »

RB whiffed the block on the first sack/fumble

Actually Pruitt said that both the TE and RB blocked the same player and the one that that caused the fumble was never blocked.....Breakdown between the TE and RB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: