VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:17:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the first time all season, I feel there's something positive to build on  (Read 2156 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 30, 2018, 02:12:11 EDT »

If you had told me going in that it would be 24-12 with 5 minutes to play and they would lay the ball on the ground, giving us an opportunity to recover and jump back in the game, I'd have taken that and run with it.

Obviously there's still a lot to work on and these next 2 are going to be incredibly tough, but at least it was a step in the right direction. I felt like pass protection was better at times, though not consistent. The defense also continues to improve. Our secondary was far from being a championship-level secondary but they're leaps ahead of where they were at against West Virginia. The front seven is still too slow and too weak to compete at a high level in the SEC, but they're getting better. Taylor was a beast today.

Overall, the offense is still bad, bad, bad. Obviously it's never going to be a great offense with this line, but I'm putting a lot of it on Helton, too. His play calling just leaves me wanting to kick the cat.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 02:13:52 EDT »

I saw none of the game, but am impressed.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 02:19:21 EDT »

Agree on most points.  definitely better pass protection, though a long way to go.  Defense got to Fromme all day, wish we had gotten a couple fumbles.

Helton needs to test teams deep earlier, although i know it's tough with this line.  Still needs to try it earlier.

Last game Helton got criticized for being too vanilla, but in his defense, JG turned the ball over on the first two drives and I think we had to go vanilla after that.

Offense finally showed up a bit in the second half, but has a long, long, way to go.

Still overall a huge improvement over Florida and I think Auburn will be an easier foe than Uga.  I did't think we would upset uga, and I am not going to predict it for Auburn either, but we have a better shot at Auburn for sure.  I'm looking forward to the Auburn game.  I dreaded this one.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 02:39:12 EDT »

Auburns defense better than UGA's.......Our offense isn't going to score much on good defenses and when those good defensive teams score 20 we are pretty much beat. O play calling has got to get better and we've got to hit it downfield more and more often to get teams out of a 7-8 man front. Gitmo passed for 143 years today....not going to beat folks when you can't run the ball doing that.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:54:41 EDT »

Agree Creek, most encouraged I've felt all year.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 05:17:13 EDT »

I just don't see this offense scoring a lot of points against any SEC opponent. And the way offenses move the ball, that is a tough thing to overcome. Our defense has to play extra tough each week.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 06:32:50 EDT »

I just don't see this offense scoring a lot of points against any SEC opponent. And the way offenses move the ball, that is a tough thing to overcome. Our defense has to play extra tough each week.

Not sure Auburn's offense much better than ours and I'm not going.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 07:50:59 EDT »

This is the worst offense of the Gus Malzahn era at Auburn. Does that really mean anything? We'll see, I guess. I'm a lot more optimistic this week that we can give them a game than I was last week.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 09:53:45 EDT »

Not sure Auburn's offense much better than ours and I'm not going kidding. Meh spell check.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: