VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 12:16:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 1896 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2018, 04:47:04 EDT »

Offense:
Some weird play calling, again
We ran one (1), repeat 1 deep route the first half (Callaway on the left side)
OL:  Again hit and miss, though a bit more consistent that previous games.  Way too many individual errors, like the sack on JG.  Trey and the guard had some issue on combo blocks. 90+% of the time no push in in the run game.  Though Richmond, yes Richmond had a couple of nice seal blocks, including the first play

RB: Outside of Chandler not their best day.  With UGA's speed Chandler is the only back with the speed to compete, which he amply showed cutting off a nice block by the TE for a TD on the swing pass
Banks again laid the ball on the ground, hit the line with the ball NOT tucked - till he learns that he should get splinters on his backside - that's at least the 3rd time he has put the ball on the ground this year.

WR/TE:  Not sure we target #4 all day, mostly used him as a blocker, including the first 2 pt attempt, which surprised me. He had a nice block on Chandler's TD catch and run
Most of the day, other than Callaway we weren't getting much separation but then were running short routes in traffic and UGA knew it.  When we opened it up the underneath routes opened up more.  The first TD was not well thrown but a nice adjustment for the TD.  Like to know what routes the WR ran on the Chandler TD as the safeties were not in position - was watching line play till the pass.

QB:  Not JG's best day but I think the knee bothered him a bit, some of his early passes were -just- off.  He took care of the ball.  Only one pass I was VERY nervous on.  He was pressured, went right, came back to the left and threw the ball 2/3  across the field.  The ball was in the air a LONG time for such a shallow route and if the defense was more alert could have been a pick 6

Defense:
IMO their best game to date.
DL:  The first team DL played well well into the 3rd but started running out of gas.  Tuttle played very well after the first series, was disrupting the run game.  Johnson had his beest game and Phillips had a really good game, sometimes playing 3 technique as well.  2nd team DL is NOT SEC caliber, not even close.  UGA gashed it.

LB:  The starting inside LBs are S L O W!  The outside LBs not much better.  Kongbo played but was replaced by D Johnson who played a bit better, and didn't notice him getting an earful from Pruitt today.
In passing situations in the 2nd half we played Sapp and Ignot.  Sapp played pretty good, I noticed a bit of rust, i.e. busts but he was hustling to the ball.  My personal opinion is they played better than the 2 starters at ILB.  Kongbo must be a hell of a practice player!

DB:s  Taylor was the nickle back today.  Starters were Buchanan and Thompson. Buchanan STILL plays 10 yards off the ball, and RETREATS at the snap, something UGA took advantage of.  When Abernathy was hurt we played Flowers, sometimes having three(3) true FR on the field in the secondary  We played some really weird coverages while Abernathy was out.  One play with Taylor on the field it look like half the team was in quarters and the other half 2 deep.  In any case, easy pitch and catch.  In the 4th Flowers replaced Warrior.  Speaking of Warrior, I believe he had a major bust that almost resulted in a long TD pass (similar, though on opposite side of the field, as the winning TD pass at SCe two years ago).

Overall the defense played well, had three sacks and hit the QB more than that.  It really sucked that the QB's arm was hacked causing a fumble but then the ball bounces to a skill player for a TD.  I might have been heard to mutter WTF?!?

Kicking game:  Punted well but zero return game.  Flowers was the returner after Callaway was hurt.

For a defeat I believe there were positives to build on today.  Glad I went and roasted in the sun.  I predict at least two years before we really are competitive in the East, we are that poor in SEC level talent across the board, especially after the starters.  But, I have seen the team improve, which at this stage of rebuilding the program is a step in the right direction.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:13:15 EDT »

All I want to see this year is improvement. A bowl bid would be nice, but I'm more interested in week-to-week improvements. It's what will tell us whether Pruitt is on the right track, or it'll be the first red flag that he's going to be yet another coaching disaster. I was concerned to this point. So, seeing the improvements was nice.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 08:02:50 EDT »

Chandler averaged over 5 yards a carry, probably should have gotten more reps.

We targeted no. 4 at least 3-4 times, and he caught a big pass at one point. 

Kongbo didn't seem to do much at LB, but did make a nice play on the line.  I am thinking he should probably go back to the DE rotation.  Daryl Taylor played a great game.  He had flashed potential last year prior to having disciplinary issues and getting benched, good to have him back.  Ignot made some nice plays also.

Wondering if Peterson will see the field against Auburn.  He should be ready by then.  CJP may want him to red shirt, but I hope not.  Want to see him contribute ASAP.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 05:30:36 EDT »

Chandler going MIA for long periods of time is mind numbing....He's our best and should only be relieved to catch his breath. Helton/Pruitt is running our RB's in and out like Butch did with WR's....I like Banks but he has a habit of helping out the other team and it's been said he even has trouble holding the ball in practice.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 09:34:26 EDT »

Nice writeup Pirate. If the team refuses to quit they might be competitive down the stretch.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 05:14:41 EDT »

What would convince you that this team has improved down the road. I say a conference win would be a start. We will be dogs in all of them though.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 06:30:50 EDT »

What would convince you that this team has improved down the road. I say a conference win would be a start. We will be dogs in all of them though.

Shockingly I agree, .
If we play well in the next few games we may be favored against vandy but that's it.

I think we might give Auburn a scare and have a punchers chance against junior if we continue to improve.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: