VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:38:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alright Braves fans. Who are we rooting for tomorrow?  (Read 3334 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2018, 01:06:10 EDT »

We'll be big underdogs to either, but I'd rather play the Rockies. The Dodgers' lineup is scary, and the thought of facing Kershaw twice in a five game series doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

But it's nice that the rest of the NL field has to play tiebreaker games tomorrow while we get an extra day's rest.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:46:54 EDT »

I suppose the Braves/Rockies is the better matchup. But that's still going to be tough.  I think the Braves were 2-4 against them this year.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 12:33:54 EDT »

I still have this:

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 07:56:38 EDT »

I still have this:

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 05:25:42 EDT »

Well, It's the Dodgers. Hope the Braves can eek this series out.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:32:14 EDT »

The Dodgers beat us up and took our lunch money this season. If we can just take it to game 5, I'll be happy.

Really, just making the playoffs this year is a big victory. Anything that happens now is gravy. This roster still has some big holes (that will hopefully be addressed this winter) compared to everyone else left standing. Next year, the expectations go way up.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 10:29:58 EDT »

The Dodgers beat us up and took our lunch money this season. If we can just take it to game 5, I'll be happy.

Really, just making the playoffs this year is a big victory. Anything that happens now is gravy. This roster still has some big holes (that will hopefully be addressed this winter) compared to everyone else left standing. Next year, the expectations go way up.

SSSSOOOOOO pessimistic these days. I say Braves sweep Dodgers en route to WS win and nice windfall for CDV. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 11:12:24 EDT »

SSSSOOOOOO pessimistic these days. I say Braves sweep Dodgers en route to WS win and nice windfall for CDV. 

As I said, I'm pessimistic for THIS postseason, and I'm happy just to make it this far. But for the next 5-6 years I am FULL of optimism (assuming Snitker learns how to handle a pitching staff ).

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 01:12:35 EDT »

If we beat the Dodgers, I think we will make it all the way to at least game 7 of the WS...but I don't see us beating the Blue.  My dad and his brothers grew up in the TN valley in the 50's, and they all were Yankees fans.  Kinda weird, but that was the only team they could follow on the radio and, well, they were a pretty kickass team back then, like they have been in recent times.  So, I became a Yankees fan also in the era of Billy Martin.  Guidry, Chambliss, Nettles at 3rd - man was he good, Munson, and all the rest - what teams they had back then.  How could you ever predict that they would go on to build even better teams?  Anyway, the Dodgers were a big rival back then, and I hated them.  Lasorda was such a like-able guy, but I wasn't having any of that.  As I got in my HS years, I sorta drifted over to the Braves.  I grew up in Memphis and most of my friends were either Braves or Cards fans.  The Yanks had kinda faded.  And the Braves were always on TV and they had such a great broadcast.  They had Chambliss, Horner, Murphy - what a great crew.  I went to Georgia Tech for grad school in 89 and 90, and that just cemented my Braves fanship.  I got to see a ton of Braves games - $5 tix if I remember right.  We had so much fun at Fulton Co Stadium - but the team just stunk.  I don't know what it was, but we would just pound cheap beers in a quiet, empty stadium, and, oh yeah, a game was going on.  However, my last year in Atlanta I got to see  the Young Guns get their start - Avery, Glavine, Smoltz, and Smith.  They were pretty good in that first year, but they just didn't have any bats backing them up.  Then I got my first job in DC and 1991 happened.  It was so nice to go home after work, order a pizza, and watch the Braves on TBS.  That became such a ritual for me that year.  And I was not even expecting them to do well.  But they did well.  I remember watching the first game Deion Sanders played and the birth of the Tomahawk Chop - being a huge college football fan I just loved that.  Of course, the chop thing just took off to hyperbolic heights - I never tired of it.  I seem to recall a pretty intense division race with the Dodgers there at the end, and I got to hate the Dodgers all over again.  I remember being in the streets of Fells Point in Baltimore with an Atlanta friend of mine while we watched the Dodgers lose, and give the Braves a clinch for the NLCS - IIRC.  I do remember we kinda got drunk that night.  And here we are competing with the Dodgers again in order to get to the NLCS.  It's gonna be tough.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 12:15:58 EDT »

Well, that's that. Not a surprise.

I think it's going to be a VERY interesting offseason in Atlanta. In a good way.

It's a big free agent class, and with all the payroll coming off the books, the Braves should have the spending power to bid for anyone out there. They also have enough organizational pitching depth to swing a major trade or two.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 07:32:04 EDT »

Well, that's that. Not a surprise.

I think it's going to be a VERY interesting offseason in Atlanta. In a good way.

It's a big free agent class, and with all the payroll coming off the books, the Braves should have the spending power to bid for anyone out there. They also have enough organizational pitching depth to swing a major trade or two.

It was nice to win one in the series, at least.  Things really look good for next year

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: