VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 09:11:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to watch for  (Read 2752 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:49:56 EDT »

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/columnists/university-of-tennessee/john-adams/2018/10/08/ut-vols-offensive-line-face-biggest-challenge-against-auburn-tennessee-jeremy-pruitt/1503919002/

let's see if the OL steps up. Also looking for JG to roll out to avoid the pressure, something we have yet to see much of.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:28:17 EDT »

This is why I think folks need to hit the brakes on the upset talk. Yes, Auburn was over-rated -- probably still is -- and, yes, this is the worst offense Gus Malzahn has had...but I'm not sure we can score with our OL against this defensive front.

As for rolling out Guarantano, let's hope that Helton and his staff used the off-week to implement that but, frankly, if we haven't been willing to try it to this point, I have no confidence that we'll suddenly change. I'm starting to think Helton is as stubborn as Butch was with his "infallible" offense. And I like Helton's style...we just don't have the puzzle pieces to make it work at this point and a better OC would improvise until recruiting can turn it around.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:01:52 EDT »

This is why I think folks need to hit the brakes on the upset talk. Yes, Auburn was over-rated -- probably still is -- and, yes, this is the worst offense Gus Malzahn has had...but I'm not sure we can score with our OL against this defensive front.

As for rolling out Guarantano, let's hope that Helton and his staff used the off-week to implement that but, frankly, if we haven't been willing to try it to this point, I have no confidence that we'll suddenly change. I'm starting to think Helton is as stubborn as Butch was with his "infallible" offense. And I like Helton's style...we just don't have the puzzle pieces to make it work at this point and a better OC would improvise until recruiting can turn it around.

Folks are awfully quick to jump on Helton.  I wonder if that's just an outlet for frustration.  It's still early relatively speaking and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shizzle (meaning our OL...skill players pretty decent actually).

Or is it just that people have doubts about the HC and take them out on the assistants because it would not be perceived as fair this early into such a large rebuilding project?  I noticed that everyone was on Butch's assistants immediately, and the changes he made didn't always go well (firing Jancek in particular).

I was actually encouraged by Helton the first few games.  Less so now, but the passing game is much better than it was last year IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:35:47 EDT »

Folks are awfully quick to jump on Helton.  I wonder if that's just an outlet for frustration.  It's still early relatively speaking and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shizzle (meaning our OL...skill players pretty decent actually).

Or is it just that people have doubts about the HC and take them out on the assistants because it would not be perceived as fair this early into such a large rebuilding project?  I noticed that everyone was on Butch's assistants immediately, and the changes he made didn't always go well (firing Jancek in particular).

I was actually encouraged by Helton the first few games.  Less so now, but the passing game is much better than it was last year IMO.

I don't think it's a reach to say that Tennessee's play calling has been mysterious at best. I was high on the Helton hire. I thought he had a pretty good track record and I wanted to see how he fared with JG. In that regard, I think he's done well. JG is a different QB this year. But since the West Virginia game, I've thought Helton's play calling has gotten steadily worse. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shizzle but you can put your players into positions to succeed and so far Helton hasn't shown much of an ability to do that. He's still trying to shove the square pegs into the round holes and it's hurting us.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:09:18 EDT »

This offense is not good. We looked good on offense against ETSU. That's it. I wish I had some of you guys confidence.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:03:04 EDT »

I don't think it's a reach to say that Tennessee's play calling has been mysterious at best. I was high on the Helton hire. I thought he had a pretty good track record and I wanted to see how he fared with JG. In that regard, I think he's done well. JG is a different QB this year. But since the West Virginia game, I've thought Helton's play calling has gotten steadily worse. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shizzle but you can put your players into positions to succeed and so far Helton hasn't shown much of an ability to do that. He's still trying to shove the square pegs into the round holes and it's hurting us.
I endorse this post

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:11:53 EDT »

When your OL is the weak link running between the tackles is not the ticket yet our Million dollar OC continues to do so and most of the time on 1st and 2nd downs and then the defense can back their ears on 3rd and long. It's been the worst play calling I've ever seen....You have to work with and adjust to your personnel and we have not done that. We haven't done or done very litte of spreading the defense out. Instead our offense has pretty much allowed the defense to play between the tackles....When you run some sweeps...toss sweeps...jet sweeps even it goes for little or no gain it makes the defense defend the width of the field and they have to respect that....We need some more well designed screens to our backs to slow down the pass rush....We can all sit here and blame every thing on the OL but our play calling flat sucks...We have more talent on offense than we have on defense plain and simple.....Giving Chandler 9 touches and J Jennings 2 targets against UGA is coaching malpractice...Period...DOT
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 07:52:21 EDT »

When your OL is the weak link running between the tackles is not the ticket yet our Million dollar OC continues to do so and most of the time on 1st and 2nd downs and then the defense can back their ears on 3rd and long. It's been the worst play calling I've ever seen....You have to work with and adjust to your personnel and we have not done that. We haven't done or done very litte of spreading the defense out. Instead our offense has pretty much allowed the defense to play between the tackles....When you run some sweeps...toss sweeps...jet sweeps even it goes for little or no gain it makes the defense defend the width of the field and they have to respect that....We need some more well designed screens to our backs to slow down the pass rush....We can all sit here and blame every thing on the OL but our play calling flat sucks...We have more talent on offense than we have on defense plain and simple.....Giving Chandler 9 touches and J Jennings 2 targets against UGA is coaching malpractice...Period...DOT

A lot to process there.  I will say we did throw on second down and even first down against uga a few times, but agree it could or should have been more frequent.  We did try a toss sweep and it failed horribly, but was to the short side of the field and that might have hurt it.  Jet sweeps have worked the few times we have tried them in earlier games.  Makes sense to spread the field with our weakness at OL.  Agree 100% on Chandler and Jennings, though I think Jennings had to finish working his way out of the doghouse.  Definitely want to see him get more touches.

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:34:44 EDT »

Chandler should have 16-18 touches per game at a minimum, imo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: