VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:07:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: feeling slightly better about the O line  (Read 2619 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:43:24 EDT »

Two deep from the interwebz, FWIW is:

LT   73   Smith, Trey SO   57   Niehaus, Nathan RS SO                  
LG   58   Johnson, Jahmir RS SO/TR   74   Calbert, K'Rojhn SO                  
OC   70   Johnson, Ryan RS SO   56   Locklear, Riley SO                  
RG   75   Carvin, Jerome FR   76   Hall, Chance SR                  
RT   51   Richmond, Drew RS JR   68   Tatum, Marcus JR

I think Carvin has been doing fine for a true frosh, Richmond has reportedly improved and Trey Smith is still Trey Smith.  I am cautiously optimistic that they will continue to improve.  Still a long way to go, but played well against a good Auburn front seven, or at least better than they have.

I hope Jahmir's injury is not serious.  I did see Niehaus play quite a bit Saturday, didn't know who he was.   

Chance Hall appears to not have fully recovered from injuries, but at least he is experienced.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 04:23:45 EDT »

We better work hard on pass protection the week....Got a feeling Saban after watching Gitmo throw it all over the yard against Auburn is about to launch a lot of pressure....I'd put in some good screen packages this week to slow them down and I'd use them early and often.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:38:48 EDT »

Meh. I felt like pass protection improved quite a bit vs. Auburn, but run blocking was still atrocious. Some of that is play-calling and some of it is RBs who refuse to hit the right hole, and hit it hard. But a lot of it is the OL just not opening anything up. We averaged 1.9 YPC on the ground.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 07:56:42 EDT »

Meh. I felt like pass protection improved quite a bit vs. Auburn, but run blocking was still atrocious. Some of that is play-calling and some of it is RBs who refuse to hit the right hole, and hit it hard. But a lot of it is the OL just not opening anything up. We averaged 1.9 YPC on the ground.

Ty Chandler was 3.1 ypc vs a very good DL.  Still needs to be better for sure. 

OL has a long way to go, but are making progress.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:52:10 EDT »

almost a law that you put your best OL at LT, but I would love to see Trey move to guard as a way to improve run game.  I don't know the answer at LT if we did that, but Trey is a natural guard, and in all likelihood that,is his future at the next level.  I think we would see immediate improvement in run game.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:44:43 EDT »

almost a law that you put your best OL at LT, but I would love to see Trey move to guard as a way to improve run game.  I don't know the answer at LT if we did that, but Trey is a natural guard, and in all likelihood that,is his future at the next level.  I think we would see immediate improvement in run game.

Yep...Trey's a guard but like you posted, who's the LT?
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 04:50:14 EDT »

Yep...Trey's a guard but like you posted, who's the LT?

fizzle it, i'll do it

11B4PJ3F7
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 03:46:26 EDT »

That would just invite the NCAA to town.  Everybody knows you're going to the highest bidder. 

fizzle it, i'll do it
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 04:13:24 EDT »

That would just invite the NCAA to town.  Everybody knows you're going to the highest bidder. 

Not true, I shut down Saban, for no other reason than I found him to be an #badword#

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 04:24:36 EDT »

Not true, I shut down Saban, for no other reason than I found him to be an #badword#

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: