VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 06:51:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamers, a question.. do you by digital or physical copies of games nowadays?  (Read 2818 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:58:10 EDT »

I've always bought physical copies, not sure exactly why.. maybe habit.  Maybe some sense of false security in having the actual physical copy in my possession.  I don't usually get around to selling old games though (I think in my head "hey I might want to play it again" even though I never do).

So what is your preference, and why?  With the upcoming onslaught of games I'm thinking about going digital.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:04:29 EDT »

I'm like you- I still buy physical copies and I'm not really sure why. I used to justify it by selling or trading in my used games- but the retailers give so little for them anymore, that it's not really worth it. If it's a big, open world game that includes extras like a physical map, I do find extra value in that.

BTW, I've had God of War sitting on my shelf for about a month, and just cleared space on my PS4 and started it over the weekend. OMG- this game is so good. I'm going to have to finish it before I delve into RDR2 next weekend.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 06:11:57 EDT »

I'm trying to finish up the AC Origins DLC before RDR2 hits.  I went a while without playing much of anything then last week I took a week off and got to enjoying Origins again.

I've got some Amazon gift cards to use, and I don't want to wait for Prime to deliver on the 28th or 29th.. as SC is an away game so I'll have more time at home on Saturday the 27th.  So I may go digital for RDR2.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 06:16:04 EDT »

I'm trying to finish up the AC Origins DLC before RDR2 hits.  I went a while without playing much of anything then last week I took a week off and got to enjoying Origins again.

I've got some Amazon gift cards to use, and I don't want to wait for Prime to deliver on the 28th or 29th.. as SC is an away game so I'll have more time at home on Saturday the 27th.  So I may go digital for RDR2.

When I worked at Amazon, we'd ship new games a day or two in advance, so they arrived on release day. I assume they still do.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 06:20:52 EDT »

When I worked at Amazon, we'd ship new games a day or two in advance, so they arrived on release day. I assume they still do.

Good point.  Eh, I guess it doesn't make a huge difference either way.. I don't see any huge advantages on either side. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 06:22:51 EDT »

Good point.  Eh, I guess it doesn't make a huge difference either way.. I don't see any huge advantages on either side. 

I hope that's the case, anyway. Because I have RDR2 pre-ordered through Prime, and I REALLY want to start it next weekend.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 06:26:20 EDT »

I hope that's the case, anyway. Because I have RDR2 pre-ordered through Prime, and I REALLY want to start it next weekend.

Likewise, if I buy digital I hope I'm able to preload it a few days in advance.  I've got middle of the road download speeds, and a game this size might take all weekend to download if I don't start it until the 26th.   
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 03:48:43 EDT »

Digital only, I never want to worry about scratching a disk

11B4PJ3F7
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 07:59:53 EDT »

Well not sure I'm ordering off Amazon now... they said they don't offer the "pre-load" option for digital orders.  And when I asked if I could get a physical copy shipped on release day they said no to that too.  So I may just have to buy a physical copy at an actual store like a caveman.  Sigh...
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 08:49:01 EDT »

Update.  My local Gamestop is doing a 9pm release on Oct 25, which pleases me.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 12:25:35 EDT »

Well not sure I'm ordering off Amazon now... they said they don't offer the "pre-load" option for digital orders.  And when I asked if I could get a physical copy shipped on release day they said no to that too.  So I may just have to buy a physical copy at an actual store like a caveman.  Sigh...

They usually take an "under-promise, over-deliver" philosophy with their CS people. I would wager that mine will still be delivered next Friday. I'll be upset if it isn't.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 12:28:37 EDT »

Just got an email from Amazon- it will be delivered on Friday.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:30:23 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 03:34:33 EDT »

Just got an email from Amazon- it will be delivered on Friday.

Nice!  Pre-ordered mine at the local Gamestop this past Friday. 

Did you get the standard edition or splurge for deluxe/ultimate?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 04:09:12 EDT »

Nice!  Pre-ordered mine at the local Gamestop this past Friday. 

Did you get the standard edition or splurge for deluxe/ultimate?

Just the standard.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: