VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 05:25:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RDR2 reviews incoming...  (Read 6952 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2018, 01:10:10 EDT »

I think they like it.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/24/red-dead-redemption-2-review

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 02:36:18 EDT »

This is going to be a long couple of workdays.   
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:07:40 EDT »

I am not a gamer at all. In RDR2, for example, what is the object of the game and how do you know when you have won? There are a lot of games out there that I wonder the same thing about. Which is the preferred game system Playstation or XBox. Why? I am leaning toward a PS4.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:58:31 EDT »

I am not a gamer at all. In RDR2, for example, what is the object of the game and how do you know when you have won? There are a lot of games out there that I wonder the same thing about. Which is the preferred game system Playstation or XBox. Why? I am leaning toward a PS4.

Well, personally I've always owned a playstation and never an xbox.  Sometimes there are games that are exclusive to a particular console, but nowadays it's more of a preference thing I think.

The object of the game in single player mode is to complete the storyline, along with side missions.  Much of the fun of these types of games is exploring the map on the game, too and finding interesting things.

Then if you throw in online gaming, you're usually participating in these activities with other players.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:51:20 EDT »

Help. I have a problem.

RDR2 comes out tomorrow and my 13-year-old son has taken over my PS 4 with Fortnite. :(
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 12:55:33 EDT »

Well, personally I've always owned a playstation and never an xbox.  Sometimes there are games that are exclusive to a particular console, but nowadays it's more of a preference thing I think.

The object of the game in single player mode is to complete the storyline, along with side missions.  Much of the fun of these types of games is exploring the map on the game, too and finding interesting things.

Then if you throw in online gaming, you're usually participating in these activities with other players.
Never got into gaming - though I am deep into World of War Ships

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:37:50 EDT »

Help. I have a problem.

RDR2 comes out tomorrow and my 13-year-old son has taken over my PS 4 with Fortnite. :(

This breaks my heart. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 04:07:24 EDT »

Surprisingly over 100 ppl at my local Gamestop tonight for release.

You'll want to plan on at least 45 min of install time.  Foldout map inside game case is freaking huge. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 04:14:20 EDT »

Whooaa check that. That was just the first disk.  You gotta then install the 2nd disk.  That's right, TWO physical disks.  Total install time looks to be about an hour and a half.  And I believe a 3gb day one patch.

Glad I went ahead with the physical copy though.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 02:41:06 EDT »

Fell asleep during the install last night.   

Played just about an hour this morning though, very exciting.  Also sort of glad tomorrow's an away game so I'll be home more this weekend.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 04:39:47 EDT »

Fell asleep during the install last night.   

Played just about an hour this morning though, very exciting.  Also sort of glad tomorrow's an away game so I'll be home more this weekend.

I'm off today and keeping a constant eye on my mailbox. BTW, USPS tracking is just about the most worthless thing in the world:

24 October 1:38AM: Package has left the seller facility and is in transit to USPS
24 October 9:41AM: Package has arrived at Amazon facility
25 October 7:55PM: Package departed Amazon facility
25 October 9:55PM: Package transferred to USPS for final delivery
26 October 8:13AM: Out for delivery
26 October 9:27AM: Package transferred to USPS for final delivery
26 October 9:33AM: Your package seems to have been misplaced
26 October 9:35AM: We're not sure your package even exists. Please contact seller.
26 October 9:42AM: Package transferred to USPS for final delivery
26 October 9:57AM: Package has arrived at Amazon facility
26 October 11:03AM: Delivered

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 05:24:48 EDT »

I'm off today and keeping a constant eye on my mailbox. BTW, USPS tracking is just about the most worthless thing in the world:

24 October 1:38AM: Package has left the seller facility and is in transit to USPS
24 October 9:41AM: Package has arrived at Amazon facility
25 October 7:55PM: Package departed Amazon facility
25 October 9:55PM: Package transferred to USPS for final delivery
26 October 8:13AM: Out for delivery
26 October 9:27AM: Package transferred to USPS for final delivery
26 October 9:33AM: Your package seems to have been misplaced
26 October 9:35AM: We're not sure your package even exists. Please contact seller.
26 October 9:42AM: Package transferred to USPS for final delivery
26 October 9:57AM: Package has arrived at Amazon facility
26 October 11:03AM: Delivered

That is pretty worthless.   

Very early on there is a decision point that I wonder how it will affect further events.  A coworker and I chose opposite directions to go, so it will be interesting how that affects events later on.
Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 06:17:00 EDT »

picked up my copy at Walmart I while ago. I planned to use this afternoon to start the game before football tonight. I guess most of that will be spent in stalling in downloading. I kind of miss the old days when you just pop the disc in and started to play.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 06:27:15 EDT »

picked up my copy at Walmart I while ago. I planned to use this afternoon to start the game before football tonight. I guess most of that will be spent in stalling in downloading. I kind of miss the old days when you just pop the disc in and started to play.

Yeah, I'm about 18 gig deep into the install.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 07:31:09 EDT »

I have both. If it's a 3rd party game and I have a choice, I prefer to play on the XB1. The controller just feels better to me, and it seems to load quicker. But the PS4's exclusive titles are far superior- Uncharted, Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider Man, God of War, and others. That may even up for the next generation of consoles- Microsoft has bought upwards of a dozen gaming studios in the past year and seems to be going all in on the development of exclusives.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 10:17:53 EDT »

Yeah, I'm about 18 gig deep into the install.

Just kept telling myself it's because the game is so awesome and it'll be worth it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 12:13:29 EDT »

Really cool so far. Very cinematic, and the graphics are stunning.

I just finished chapter 1, and now it looks like they're finally turning me loose. I'm going to explore for a while before I do any more missions. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 01:19:48 EDT »

Really cool so far. Very cinematic, and the graphics are stunning.

I just finished chapter 1, and now it looks like they're finally turning me loose. I'm going to explore for a while before I do any more missions. 

Welp, I thought I'd head west and check out the areas from the last game, just to do a little graphics comparison.

Don't try that. Not yet, anyway. It's not blocked off or anything, but you won't get far before they shoot you dead.

Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 06:02:16 EDT »

I haven't made it far enough in yet to be turned loose to really explore the world...which is where this game will shine. So far my complaint with it would be the same complaint as the original RDR: the missions are too easy, with little strategy required. But the graphical detail is just amazing. Absolutely unparalleled. I expect to be very entranced once I get out of the blasted snowstorm and into the actual world. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 03:06:48 EDT »

I haven't made it far enough in yet to be turned loose to really explore the world...which is where this game will shine. So far my complaint with it would be the same complaint as the original RDR: the missions are too easy, with little strategy required. But the graphical detail is just amazing. Absolutely unparalleled. I expect to be very entranced once I get out of the blasted snowstorm and into the actual world. 

All we've really done so far are tutorial missions, so I expect that it will get more challenging. But with a couple exceptions, the days of really hard games are long gone.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 11:28:37 EDT »

I just did a lap around the East side of the map by following the RR tracks. This game is just gorgeous. I almost want to buy an XB1X just to see how it looks in 4K HDR. And on first glance, this might be the most meticulously constructed gaming world I've ever seen. Every region, every little town has its own character, architecture, and politics. And the "big" city of St. Denis is an Industrial Revolution-era version of New Orleans. It's bustling, dirty, and grimy, and the level of detail is just amazing.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 01:37:02 EDT »

I just did a lap around the East side of the map by following the RR tracks. This game is just gorgeous. I almost want to buy an XB1X just to see how it looks in 4K HDR. And on first glance, this might be the most meticulously constructed gaming world I've ever seen. Every region, every little town has its own character, architecture, and politics. And the "big" city of St. Denis is an Industrial Revolution-era version of New Orleans. It's bustling, dirty, and grimy, and the level of detail is just amazing.

Not only that, but such variety (and options/choices) in the interactions with every individual you come in contact with.  And I know I've just scratched the surface.  Rockstar goes all the way every time and still manages to push it farther every time.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 04:33:24 EDT »

Has anyone else stumbled upon the Klan rally yet? If not, stick around and watch the whole thing. It has a pretty funny ending.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 07:27:02 EDT »

So after supper last night I go downstairs to return to the world of Arthur Morgan.. about halfway down the stairs my wife drops this bomb on me: "Oh, something's wrong with your Playstation... one of the boys was playing earlier and I couldn't get the disk out"... my eyes go wide and I race down the rest of the stairs.  Sure enough, it appears my optical drive died.  3 days after RDR2 and at the beginning of peak gaming season.   

So at lunch today I bit the bullet and got a PS4 Pro.  I had wanted one for awhile but never could justify it while my PS4 worked.. so I guess it was meant to be.  I know a price drop is coming with the holidays.. but there's no way I could wait after tasting RDR2.

And I know the PS5 is probably a couple/few years away.. but again.. no way I'm just going to wait around.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 10:41:07 EDT »

So after supper last night I go downstairs to return to the world of Arthur Morgan.. about halfway down the stairs my wife drops this bomb on me: "Oh, something's wrong with your Playstation... one of the boys was playing earlier and I couldn't get the disk out"... my eyes go wide and I race down the rest of the stairs.  Sure enough, it appears my optical drive died.  3 days after RDR2 and at the beginning of peak gaming season.   

So at lunch today I bit the bullet and got a PS4 Pro.  I had wanted one for awhile but never could justify it while my PS4 worked.. so I guess it was meant to be.  I know a price drop is coming with the holidays.. but there's no way I could wait after tasting RDR2.

And I know the PS5 is probably a couple/few years away.. but again.. no way I'm just going to wait around.

Hm.  And you think it was a coincidence.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: