VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 12:49:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stranger Things season 3  (Read 2007 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2018, 05:26:16 EDT »

will be released Summer of 2019!

wow - basically skipping a year, what is taking so long?

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:41:15 EDT »

HBO started this skipping a year nonsense with The Sopranos. They've done it with nearly all their big shows ever since. Then AMC started doing it. Now everyone does it.

It sucks and I hate it.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 05:56:31 EDT »

HBO started this skipping a year nonsense with The Sopranos. They've done it with nearly all their big shows ever since. Then AMC started doing it. Now everyone does it.

It sucks and I hate it.

But why? You'd think they'd make more money by doing it every year
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 06:10:55 EDT »

For one thing, it gives them a chance work in a newer tentpost franchise in the same time slot. Stranger Things S2 came out roughly one year ago, around Halloween. This year, it was replaced by another scary show, Haunting of Hill House. HBO did the same with Game of Thrones, as Westworld took its time slot this year (after taking an off year itself in 2017).

As a viewer, it sucks. It was one thing back in the day when a single season was 20+ episodes long and ran from September through May. But these newer cable shows have seasons that are only 8-10 hours long. In the case of Netflix, you can binge an entire season in a weekend. A one year layoff already seems like an eternity. Two or more years is just cruel.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:22:49 EDT »

2 years sucks. I guess I'll binge on "Designated Survivor" right now
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 09:36:32 EDT »

It seems to be a trait of expensive, high production/high cost type shows.  It also may be necessary to do that in order to keep the cast together.  I don't mind waiting as long as they keep the quality level the same.  With ST, I guess we did Christmas, Halloween, and now Summer Break.....interesting.  Season one was just so damn good.  I loved binge watching it again prior to season 2.  I loved season 2 as well - can't wait to watch it again.  Might be good to do that now since it is Halloween season.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 10:03:38 EDT »

It seems to be a trait of expensive, high production/high cost type shows.  It also may be necessary to do that in order to keep the cast together.  I don't mind waiting as long as they keep the quality level the same.  With ST, I guess we did Christmas, Halloween, and now Summer Break.....interesting.  Season one was just so damn good.  I loved binge watching it again prior to season 2.  I loved season 2 as well - can't wait to watch it again.  Might be good to do that now since it is Halloween season.

I think the talent both in front of and behind the camera likes it as well, because it gives them more time to work on other projects (or not).

It's also highly dependent on the platform these shows air on. Traditional OTA networks are completely beholden to their advertisers and they are basically slaves to the Neilson ratings. They could never afford to take an established show off the air for a year. Basic cable is partially reliant on advertisers, but they also earn their money from carriage fees. So they have a bit more flexibility. But HBO and Netflix can do whatever they want, as long as the subscriber base stays high.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: