VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 02:52:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why was Banks the leading rusher?  (Read 2588 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2018, 04:27:28 EST »

He was just moved to LB, and now he gets the bulk of the carries?   Why didn't Jordan get more touches?  Banks averaged only 2.2 ypc, while Jordan averaged 4.5 but only had four carries.  Was Jordan banged up? 

And for that matter, I would have liked to see Fils-Aime touch the ball more, even out of the backfield.  He has four touches on the year but is averaging almost 7 yards a pop.  I think he may be our fastest RB, and as I have stated in the past, I don't think it was wise to move him to DB.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 07:59:40 EST »

He was just moved to LB, and now he gets the bulk of the carries?   Why didn't Jordan get more touches?  Banks averaged only 2.2 ypc, while Jordan averaged 4.5 but only had four carries.  Was Jordan banged up? 

And for that matter, I would have liked to see Fils-Aime touch the ball more, even out of the backfield.  He has four touches on the year but is averaging almost 7 yards a pop.  I think he may be our fastest RB, and as I have stated in the past, I don't think it was wise to move him to DB.
Jordan has an injured shoulder from the SC game, which is the main reason Banks was moved back

With just Chandler hurt I doubt he gets moved back but with both your main RBs hurt they really had no choice

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 05:07:09 EST »

Jordan has an injured shoulder from the SC game, which is the main reason Banks was moved back

With just Chandler hurt I doubt he gets moved back but with both your main RBs hurt they really had no choice

Okay thanks. Makes a lot more sense. Also definitely appears that Pruitt was resting them.  Chandler did get two carries.

I would like to see Fils Aime get more more touches

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 05:17:58 EST »

Okay thanks. Makes a lot more sense. Also definitely appears that Pruitt was resting them.  Chandler did get two carries.

I would like to see Fils Aime get more more touches
He needs to learn the offense better

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 05:30:19 EST »

It seemed like we ran to the strong side every time and we got stuffed on that side 99% of the time.  It doesn't seem like we ran any counters.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 06:14:57 EST »

Banks needs to bulk up more to play linebacker in a 3-4 defense. If they really want to move him then the off season it where it will truly begins.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:18:09 EST »

It seemed like we ran to the strong side every time and we got stuffed on that side 99% of the time.  It doesn't seem like we ran any counters.

Play calling uninspired all day.   I get the impression that in these off games Pruitt just wants to check the box and move on.  I get it, but don't agree with it at all. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:23:23 EST »

Play calling uninspired all day.   I get the impression that in these off games Pruitt just wants to check the box and move on.  I get it, but don't agree with it at all. 

I don't think that's the case at all. I don't think a coach ever goes through a game intentionally conservative...certainly a game will dictate the strategy and if the opportunity presents itself, coaches may keep it close to the vest, but Charlotte was one play away from raising the price of poker throughout the evening. If they hit a big play and Tennessee fumbles the ensuing kickoff, you're literally a play away from getting beat. I think this was a case of coaches and players alike just being uninspired and it showed. But I don't know that we were intentionally trying to be conservative for the sake of being conservative. We ran a freaking flea-flicker, for Pete's sake...against Charlotte. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 10:31:19 EST »

I don't think that's the case at all. I don't think a coach ever goes through a game intentionally conservative...certainly a game will dictate the strategy and if the opportunity presents itself, coaches may keep it close to the vest, but Charlotte was one play away from raising the price of poker throughout the evening. If they hit a big play and Tennessee fumbles the ensuing kickoff, you're literally a play away from getting beat. I think this was a case of coaches and players alike just being uninspired and it showed. But I don't know that we were intentionally trying to be conservative for the sake of being conservative. We ran a freaking flea-flicker, for Pete's sake...against Charlotte. 

Early in the game yes, we ran the flea flicker and it worked....but was very lucky.

I'm not saying that we were conservative the entire game.  I mean that against both UTEP and Charlotte we were conservative late, which gives me the impression that, unlike the fans, Pruitt doesn't care if it's 24-0 or 7-0.   But against Charlotte, it was close enough we didn't have that luxury.  But instead of trying to score, in the last 20 minutes of the game we were just burning clock.  I think that would be okay the last 5 minutes, maybe even 10 against a team like Charlotte but would liked to have seen a bigger effort to score again.  14-3 was risky to the end of the 4th, 21-3 would have salted it given the way our defense was playing.

The other thing I meant by check the box is that I don't think the prepped well for this game.  ICBW, but I'm basing that on the game plan.

Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 10:54:26 EST »

In any event, I agree that it was a crappy game plan. Helton has shown a tendency to stick too stubbornly to the run at times. It worked at Auburn; it loosened up their secondary and allowed JG to connect with his receivers on a number of deep throws. Last night it sucked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: