VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 08:38:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone watch the final season of House of Cards yet?  (Read 1711 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2018, 06:56:10 EST »

I know this show was already about 3 seasons past its peak. And I know they were up against it trying to bring it to a conclusion in 8 hours without Kevin Spacey. But damn, I can't imagine a worse, more abrupt ending. And the sad thing is, this season had promise up until the last 5 minutes, and then they just ruined it.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:02:07 EST »

For me, the first two seasons of HOC was must-see TV. After that, it got stale in a hurry. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch the final season.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 07:08:11 EST »

For me, the first two seasons of HOC was must-see TV. After that, it got stale in a hurry. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch the final season.

Those early seasons, I could actually imagine happening in real-life inside the Beltway. The farther it went on, the more outrageous and "soapy" it got. But I had to see it through to the end.

I'm trying to give The Walking Dead the same benefit of the doubt, but they're really trying my patience.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:38:30 EST »

Those early seasons, I could actually imagine happening in real-life inside the Beltway. The farther it went on, the more outrageous and "soapy" it got. But I had to see it through to the end.

I'm trying to give The Walking Dead the same benefit of the doubt, but they're really trying my patience.

Never did like Walking Dead.  Well, okay, I like the parts where they are busting zombie heads.  But there's only so much of that I want to see.

The rest of it...bad plots, really unlikeable characters, and even the dialogue was lame sometimes.

As an example of what I mean, I wasted 30 minutes (or an hour?) of my life watching an episode where one of the main characters started gettting phone calls from a land line.  Eventually people he thought were dead started calling him and he freaked out.

The minute the phone rang the first time, I thought "hm, landlines are down, so this is probably a figment of his imagination".  I then had to sit through the remaining 55 minutes of horribly overwrought and emotional "dialogue" between him and other parts of his mind in an overly dramatic simpering display that would make a 3-year old girl crying over the boo-boo on her knee blush.

But....yeah, they do know how to show the blood and guts, so every now and then I'll watch to see a few zombies killed and then turn it back off.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 09:56:56 EST »

Never did like Walking Dead.  Well, okay, I like the parts where they are busting zombie heads.  But there's only so much of that I want to see.

The rest of it...bad plots, really unlikeable characters, and even the dialogue was lame sometimes.

As an example of what I mean, I wasted 30 minutes (or an hour?) of my life watching an episode where one of the main characters started gettting phone calls from a land line.  Eventually people he thought were dead started calling him and he freaked out.

The minute the phone rang the first time, I thought "hm, landlines are down, so this is probably a figment of his imagination".  I then had to sit through the remaining 55 minutes of horribly overwrought and emotional "dialogue" between him and other parts of his mind in an overly dramatic simpering display that would make a 3-year old girl crying over the boo-boo on her knee blush.

But....yeah, they do know how to show the blood and guts, so every now and then I'll watch to see a few zombies killed and then turn it back off.   

Yes, that S3 (I think) episode was one of the earliest instances of them getting "artsy". They've only doubled and tripled down on that stuff since then. Plus, they haven't kept the faith with their viewers. They've had characters "die" (or so we thought) only to reveal weeks later that they miraculously survived (in the most unbelievable scenario imaginable). For the past few weeks, they ran ads billing last Sunday's show as the "last" for a certain main character- except that really didn't turn out to be the truth (well, technically, but not really). And they seem to be stuck in an endless repeating cycle- "Big Bad" reveals himself, good guys prepare for "war" with said Big Bad, people die in season finales, Big Bad is finally defeated after a couple years, only to be replaced by a NEW Big Bad. And then it all begins anew, with no end in sight. They're not moving toward any kind of conclusion to the story.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 10:04:20 EST »

Finished House on Haunted Hill today... pretty good ending there.  About halfway through I thought "what's the point of all this other than being scary" but the ending had a pretty good meaning.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 07:18:20 EST »

I have yet to pull the trigger on HoC, but maybe someday.  I just can't bring myself to watch a "Hollywood" show about us politics.  The petty little underlying messages placed in the show would drive me crazy.  I know, I am assuming they are there.  I'll probably try it sometime.

I would highly suggest The Romanoff's on Amazon.  I have only watched the first episode, which was like a mini-movie, but damn, it was so good.  Just a cute little romantic, light comedy drama.  I think Matt Weiner is a genius.  I loved Mad Men, and of course the Soprano's, which he was involved with.  I know Mad Men is probably not universally loved, but I recently re-watched it's final season and it seemed to be even better than I remembered it.  MM has to be one of my all time favs.  I gave up on Walking Dead a while back, but I sometimes skim through the episodes.  When Darabont left the show (after the first season?) it kind of just slowly withered on the vine.  It had a lot of great moments beyond season one, but they became fewer and fewer between IMO.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:21:22 EST by Coupe De VOL » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: