VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 11:34:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Grades  (Read 2807 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2018, 03:22:03 EST »

https://lastwordoncollegefootball.com/2018/11/17/tennessee-vols-game-grades-missouri/

Tennessee Vols Game Grades Missouri Edition
Offense: D
Tennessee’s offense, much like the Florida and Charlotte games, started off completely out-of-synch. Even so, the Vols found themselves with the lead early in the second quarter. Even after a devastating late first half and third quarter Missouri surge, the Vols had a chance after a Tigers turnover to claw back half way through the third quarter. They were completely unable muster anything.

Offensive Stat of the Game: 25 plays of zero or less yards.

Quarterback: C-
Tennessee’s starting quarterback Jarrett Guarantano took a hit to the head in the first series and was clearly affected through the next two series. Tennessee’s offense looked awful in those three series. Guarantano was sent to the locker room and senior transfer Keller Chryst came in to lead three scoring drives in the next four possessions. But Chryst’s magic ran out in the third quarter. Chryst finished 7-for-20 for 173 yards and two costly interceptions. Chryst’s liabilities were evident in the red zone early in the second quarter.

Running Backs: D
The Vols managed 82 yards on the ground Saturday against a defense averaging 134 yards per game. That includes 36 on the final three plays of the game. Ty Chandler was decent; however, he wasn’t incorporated into the short passing game nor was he able to break any big runs. Carlin Fils-aime had a crushing fumble that resulted in a Missouri touchdown. Tim Jordan was the only other running back to get a carry and ended the game with 18 yards on six carries. The backs also played poorly in pass protection.

Receivers: B-
Marquez Callaway was easily the best offensive player on the field for Tennessee Saturday. Callaway had two receptions for 98 yards and is clearly the big play option for the Vols offense. Jauan Jennings did tack on another 41 yards reception, but with Guarantano and Chryst taking hit after hit in the backfield, it was difficult for the receivers to get anything going.

Offensive Line: F
Regression to the highest degree. After their best performance of the season, the offensive line was absolutely man-handled on Saturday. Guarantano and Chryst both took a beating in pass protection. And the running backs rarely had any daylight in the running lanes. The only positive? No penalties on the offensive line.

Defense: F
Drew Lock carved up the Vols defense to the tune of 50 points off of 257 yards passing and another 227 yards rushing. The Vols found success against Kentucky by making the Wildcats one-dimensional on offense. Not so this week, as the Tigers moved the ball at will on the ground and through the air. Lock essentially put his NFL Draft tape together against Jeremy Pruitt’s defense on Saturday. Incredibly, he had three big passes dropped, two of which were definitely touchdowns. As bad as Saturday was, it could’ve been worse.

Defensive Stat of the Game: 10 different Missouri receivers on 21 completions.

Defensive Line: D
It was too surprising that Missouri owned the line of scrimmage against the Tennessee offensive line, but the domination of the line of scrimmage on this side of the ball was unexpected. The defensive front could’t get any pressure on Lock. And Lock took advantage of the time in the pocket to carve up the secondary. It was a disappointing final game for seniors Shy Tuttle, Kyle Phillips, and Alexis Johnson.

Linebackers: C-
The linebackers were caught in no-man’s land all afternoon. Daniel Bituli had several nice hits. But the inside linebackers had trouble defending the run and the pass and the outside linebackers couldn’t get to Lock on the pass rush and were exposed in run defense by Lock read-option keeps three times. There were some scheme issues, but there was plenty of execution concerns as well.

Defensive Backs: F
The secondary couldn’t cover, and when they did, they refused to turn around. Twice, once with Nigel Warrior in the end zone and once with Alontae Taylor did in Tennessee territory, interceptions were possible if proper technique was utilized. Warrior’s was extra egregious because it resulted in a pass interference call. The secondary put Pruitt in a difficult situation because they couldn’t cover in man-to-man coverage, thus preventing the Vols from bringing pressure against Lock and company.

Their tackling was horrendous as well. Broken tackles resulting in at least three Tigers first downs.

Special Teams: C
A blocked extra point was the only highlight on special teams on the day. Tennessee had an opportunity to recover an on-side kick, but slid right over the live ball. Baylen Buchanan had two returns that were close to breaking, but couldn’t get past the last coverage man. In a game with a powerful offense, special teams are critical to changing the momentum of the game. The Vols got nothing from this unit today.

Coaching: D
The defense couldn’t figure out how to cover Missouri receivers when they brought pressure up front. Nor were they able to generate pressure in zone-coverage schemes. Jeremy Pruitt’s defensive scheme had no answer for Derek Dooley’s offensive game plan. That gives Vols fans insufferable heartburn.

Offensive coordinator Tyson Helton couldn’t get the offense in rhythm. Curiously, there seemed to be no attempt to get the running backs or Dominick Wood-Anderson involved in the passing game. Certainly the tribulations of the offensive line hampered his call sheet, but it’s fair to question the strategy after such a sluggish day.

Looking Ahead
One regular season game left. Next week’s trip to West End will determine this season’s narrative. A win against Vanderbilt puts Tennessee at 6-6, bowl eligible, and with three conference wins. That’s progress from last season.

A loss to Vanderbilt gives the Commodores a three game win streak and five wins in the last seven games against the Vols. That’s incomprehensible to Volunteer fans over the age of 12. It’ll finish the Vols season before the month of December. And it’ll demonstrate little, if any, development from the start of the season.

Will Pruitt’s first season be a passing grade, or will Tennessee be turned back and have to repeat another stressful, uncertain 2019 campaign. It’s all riding on the final exam next Saturday in Nashville.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 03:30:54 EST »

Are you Bama Perry? I have to search deeply to recall a person so negative

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 03:44:26 EST »

I didn't write this.....So do you disagree with any of it? I get it...you just like the tailgate experience and could give a crap if Missouri hangs 50 on our ass in Neyland in game 11. Facts are facts. Sorry if you don't like it. Pruitt didn't have much good to say about today's game either.

If you don't like it don't read it.

Pruitt postgame

https://utsports.com/documents/2018/11/17//Jeremy_Pruitt_Quotes.docx
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:14:46 EST by Tnphil » Logged
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:16:25 EST »

I didn't write this.....So do you disagree with any of it? I get it...you just like the tailgate experience and could give a crap if Missouri hangs 50 on our ass in Neyland in game 11. Facts are facts. Sorry if you don't like it. Pruitt didn't have much good to say about today's game either.

If you don't like it don't read it.

it doesn't matter who wrote it, you endorsed it by posting it here. You're just another insatiable UT fan that's stuck in 1998.

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 04:33:40 EST »

it doesn't matter who wrote it, you endorsed it by posting it here. You're just another insatiable UT fan that's stuck in 1998.

Nope I'm 65 years old and seen a lot of good and bad UT teams....I call em like I see em. I go back to to the Bowden Wyatt days and I don't make make butterflies and hummingbirds out of bad football wearing my orange colored glasses and carrying around a Wait Until Next Year sign.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 08:05:53 EST »

Phil,
My only disagreement is with the LBs - I would give them no higher than a D

Their total lack of speed was exposed, especially the ILBs.  Very, VERY reactive

Tackling was essentially non existent - really across the defense but especially the LBs.

I cannot understand how a team can tackle so well against KY and come out against MO and can't tackle their own shadow.

I'll end with this question:  Where were the f'ing safeties all f'ing night?!?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 12:33:23 EST »

The DL is probably a bigger disappointment than the OL. I thought we had some talent.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 04:57:42 EST »

The DL is probably a bigger disappointment than the OL. I thought we had some talent.
The biggest issue is one of depth. 
Also, I think scheme is having an influence on the level of play.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 09:18:28 EST »

Letter grades may be subjective but I don't see how the criticisms can be.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 12:21:44 EST »

https://lastwordoncollegefootball.com/2018/11/17/tennessee-vols-game-grades-missouri/

Tennessee Vols Game Grades Missouri Edition
Offense: D
Tennessee’s offense, much like the Florida and Charlotte games, started off completely out-of-synch. Even so, the Vols found themselves with the lead early in the second quarter. Even after a devastating late first half and third quarter Missouri surge, the Vols had a chance after a Tigers turnover to claw back half way through the third quarter. They were completely unable muster anything.

Offensive Stat of the Game: 25 plays of zero or less yards.

Quarterback: C-
Tennessee’s starting quarterback Jarrett Guarantano took a hit to the head in the first series and was clearly affected through the next two series. Tennessee’s offense looked awful in those three series. Guarantano was sent to the locker room and senior transfer Keller Chryst came in to lead three scoring drives in the next four possessions. But Chryst’s magic ran out in the third quarter. Chryst finished 7-for-20 for 173 yards and two costly interceptions. Chryst’s liabilities were evident in the red zone early in the second quarter.

Running Backs: D
The Vols managed 82 yards on the ground Saturday against a defense averaging 134 yards per game. That includes 36 on the final three plays of the game. Ty Chandler was decent; however, he wasn’t incorporated into the short passing game nor was he able to break any big runs. Carlin Fils-aime had a crushing fumble that resulted in a Missouri touchdown. Tim Jordan was the only other running back to get a carry and ended the game with 18 yards on six carries. The backs also played poorly in pass protection.

Receivers: B-
Marquez Callaway was easily the best offensive player on the field for Tennessee Saturday. Callaway had two receptions for 98 yards and is clearly the big play option for the Vols offense. Jauan Jennings did tack on another 41 yards reception, but with Guarantano and Chryst taking hit after hit in the backfield, it was difficult for the receivers to get anything going.

Offensive Line: F
Regression to the highest degree. After their best performance of the season, the offensive line was absolutely man-handled on Saturday. Guarantano and Chryst both took a beating in pass protection. And the running backs rarely had any daylight in the running lanes. The only positive? No penalties on the offensive line.

Defense: F
Drew Lock carved up the Vols defense to the tune of 50 points off of 257 yards passing and another 227 yards rushing. The Vols found success against Kentucky by making the Wildcats one-dimensional on offense. Not so this week, as the Tigers moved the ball at will on the ground and through the air. Lock essentially put his NFL Draft tape together against Jeremy Pruitt’s defense on Saturday. Incredibly, he had three big passes dropped, two of which were definitely touchdowns. As bad as Saturday was, it could’ve been worse.

Defensive Stat of the Game: 10 different Missouri receivers on 21 completions.

Defensive Line: D
It was too surprising that Missouri owned the line of scrimmage against the Tennessee offensive line, but the domination of the line of scrimmage on this side of the ball was unexpected. The defensive front could’t get any pressure on Lock. And Lock took advantage of the time in the pocket to carve up the secondary. It was a disappointing final game for seniors Shy Tuttle, Kyle Phillips, and Alexis Johnson.

Linebackers: C-
The linebackers were caught in no-man’s land all afternoon. Daniel Bituli had several nice hits. But the inside linebackers had trouble defending the run and the pass and the outside linebackers couldn’t get to Lock on the pass rush and were exposed in run defense by Lock read-option keeps three times. There were some scheme issues, but there was plenty of execution concerns as well.

Defensive Backs: F
The secondary couldn’t cover, and when they did, they refused to turn around. Twice, once with Nigel Warrior in the end zone and once with Alontae Taylor did in Tennessee territory, interceptions were possible if proper technique was utilized. Warrior’s was extra egregious because it resulted in a pass interference call. The secondary put Pruitt in a difficult situation because they couldn’t cover in man-to-man coverage, thus preventing the Vols from bringing pressure against Lock and company.

Their tackling was horrendous as well. Broken tackles resulting in at least three Tigers first downs.

Special Teams: C
A blocked extra point was the only highlight on special teams on the day. Tennessee had an opportunity to recover an on-side kick, but slid right over the live ball. Baylen Buchanan had two returns that were close to breaking, but couldn’t get past the last coverage man. In a game with a powerful offense, special teams are critical to changing the momentum of the game. The Vols got nothing from this unit today.

Coaching: D
The defense couldn’t figure out how to cover Missouri receivers when they brought pressure up front. Nor were they able to generate pressure in zone-coverage schemes. Jeremy Pruitt’s defensive scheme had no answer for Derek Dooley’s offensive game plan. That gives Vols fans insufferable heartburn.

Offensive coordinator Tyson Helton couldn’t get the offense in rhythm. Curiously, there seemed to be no attempt to get the running backs or Dominick Wood-Anderson involved in the passing game. Certainly the tribulations of the offensive line hampered his call sheet, but it’s fair to question the strategy after such a sluggish day.

Looking Ahead
One regular season game left. Next week’s trip to West End will determine this season’s narrative. A win against Vanderbilt puts Tennessee at 6-6, bowl eligible, and with three conference wins. That’s progress from last season.

A loss to Vanderbilt gives the Commodores a three game win streak and five wins in the last seven games against the Vols. That’s incomprehensible to Volunteer fans over the age of 12. It’ll finish the Vols season before the month of December. And it’ll demonstrate little, if any, development from the start of the season.

Will Pruitt’s first season be a passing grade, or will Tennessee be turned back and have to repeat another stressful, uncertain 2019 campaign. It’s all riding on the final exam next Saturday in Nashville.

Truth hurts. Whipped in every phase of the game.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 01:44:19 EST »

FLVol, I don't think TNPhil is just reflexively negative, like some.  He just calls em like he sees em. I don't always agree with him, but I'm a perpetual optimist as anyone posting on here knows.

Having said that, I'll push back slightly on the evaluations.  The DL stunk it up, but it's not accurate to say they "didn't get pressure" on Locke.  They flushed him from the pocket several times and did sack him once.  It would be accurate to say they could not get "much pressure" or "consistent pressure".   

Same with the DBs. They may have been really bad most of the game, but both Thompson and Alontae had tipped passes.  I think Alontae had two in fact, and Danielson praised both of them for different individual plays, so they continue to show great promise even in this losing effort IMO.   They got overwhelmed by the amount of time that Locke had to throw and the talented QB/WRs they were up against.   But yeah, they could have played a lot better.

Overall it was one of the worst performances of the season.

Here is the only glimmer of optimism I will offer.  We played them toe to toe right up to the devastating interception by Chryst at the end of the half.  After that the wheels came off. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: