VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:15:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Low expects an OC annoucement today or tomorrow.  (Read 5194 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2018, 03:54:40 EST »

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2018/12/03/low-expects-vols-oc-announcement-on-monday-or-tuesday/

“I know everybody wants to know if it’s going to be Hugh Freeze, if he’s the leader. I don’t want to speak for Jeremy Pruitt, but as I’ve said right on through, and I’ve tried to be consistent with all this, I think Hugh Freeze is right there in the forefront of this search. And I think he’s somebody that could help Tennessee a lot.”
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 04:14:24 EST »

Sooo....we're promoting Will Friend, then?

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 04:28:34 EST »

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 04:28:42 EST »

We shall see. Chris measures his words.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:44:31 EST »

I'll be excited if it is Freeze, but we all know it will be a temporary assignment.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 05:17:56 EST »

I'll be excited if it is Freeze, but we all know it will be a temporary assignment.

Yes, but still... Better than the usual coach shopping at Dollar General.  To me it would indicate that things are different than in years past.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 06:39:31 EST »

Sooo....we're promoting Will Friend, then?
What Vinnie said.  Unlike some local (I'm talking to YOU Jimmy Hyams) media types Chris typically measures what he puts out

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 07:17:30 EST »

I think we will get at least two years, and that may be all we need.  Staff is hard to hold on to nowadays anyway.  Bammer has been averaging about two years for their OCs.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 07:54:39 EST »

Is Low changing his tune from yesterday?

Chris Low

@ClowESPN

As expected, Hugh Freeze is drawing serious OC interest, and not just in SEC, after his one-year “exile.” Freeze is in the thick of @Vol_Football’s search, but Vols are hardly Freeze’s only suitors. Remember Saban tried to hire Freeze last year and may lose Locksley to Maryland.
9:04 AM - Dec 3, 2018
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 09:00:54 EST »

Is Low changing his tune from yesterday?

Chris Low

@ClowESPN

As expected, Hugh Freeze is drawing serious OC interest, and not just in SEC, after his one-year “exile.” Freeze is in the thick of @Vol_Football’s search, but Vols are hardly Freeze’s only suitors. Remember Saban tried to hire Freeze last year and may lose Locksley to Maryland.
9:04 AM - Dec 3, 2018

There's a reason this thing hasn't been announced yet. If Freeze gets an offer from Alabama, he's going to Alabama. Right now, everything hinges on what Maryland decides to do.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 09:48:16 EST »

There's a reason this thing hasn't been announced yet. If Freeze gets an offer from Alabama, he's going to Alabama. Right now, everything hinges on what Maryland decides to do.

Hire someone else Maryland!  Come on, you can do it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 10:04:42 EST »

Lindsey is out at Auburn.....huummm.

Lindsey to Kansas and Freeze to Auburn?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 10:37:14 EST »

Lindsey is out at Auburn.....huummm.

Lindsey to Kansas and Freeze to Auburn?

Friend to OC.
Some quality control guy we've never heard of to OL.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 03:30:17 EST »

Friend to OC.
Some quality control guy we've never heard of to OL.

negative negative negative

If Im Freeze I pick Vols. Lower floor to start from and thus lower expectations.

Also much less meddling by HC.  Pruitt focused on D, Malzahn on O.

Not worried about Aubies...bammer is a different matter.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 02:35:57 EST »

Seems the Freeze ship has sailed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:55:42 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 02:25:24 EST »

But, it doesn't sound like hiring from within is going to happen either.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 02:39:35 EST »

I thought Lindsey was a solid fallback.

There was a long enough runway for this hire to be fairly easy.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 04:30:50 EST »

No brainer..it's gonna be Peyton...

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 07:21:27 EST »

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-offensive-coordinator-Tyson-Helton-among-biggest-2018-salaries-125935159/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=181206_121513_Tennessee%20Volunteers&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=B2-75-72-B5-CA-48-76-33-7B-FE-32-C5-2E-FD-90-D2181206_121513TennesseeVolunteers
Vols had the 11th highest paid assistant coach in Helton. He stole his paycheck if you ask me. So just about anyone else will be a bargain.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 09:03:30 EST »

I don't share the general negativity of some over Helton.

JG was much better this year, period, dot.  We looked great for most of the game against USC jr, and at other times this season.

I do agree he stole his paycheck against vandy and likely mizzou, because he had already mentally checked out for the WKU job.

Did he do  a great job?  No, but it could have been a lot worse.  Whatever else anyone says the offense was improved from last year, even if that's not saying a whole lot.

Fans always b*icth about 3 things.  The HC, the starting QB ( unless its someone like Peyton) and the OC.  I recall that Chaney set a record of some sort in 2012 and people were b*itching.  Cut set a record in 1997 and people were b*itching.   DeBord set a record of some sort in 2015 and people were b*itching.

A whole lot of fans are what Southerners call whiny ass titty babies.  Period, dot.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:07:35 EST by BanditVol » Logged

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 11:01:09 EST »

I'm just realistic. JG will not be an elite QB. Which is what we need. Especially if we don't improve drastically  on the OL and defense. It's quite possible he will be about the 7th best QB in the East again. If the rest of the teams improves a boatload he MIGHT be adequate. Pruitt needs to recruit a stud QB that can start from day one. The elite teams in the SEC seem to be able to have 2 or 3 of them on their roster...ie Bama and UGa. Gonna need this type of QB to compete with these teams. I know it's easier said than done to recruit elite QB's. Hope Pruitt can pull it off.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 08:01:30 EST »

I'm just realistic. JG will not be an elite QB. Which is what we need. Especially if we don't improve drastically  on the OL and defense. It's quite possible he will be about the 7th best QB in the East again. If the rest of the teams improves a boatload he MIGHT be adequate. Pruitt needs to recruit a stud QB that can start from day one. The elite teams in the SEC seem to be able to have 2 or 3 of them on their roster...ie Bama and UGa. Gonna need this type of QB to compete with these teams. I know it's easier said than done to recruit elite QB's. Hope Pruitt can pull it off.

JG is probably not elite, I agree with that.  For a team in rebuild mode, he is not bad to have though.  We could do worse.

Not sure what that has to do with the OC though.  The OC will only be able to work with the talent he has.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: