VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 08:39:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember how the Kansas game turned on a freak play at the end...  (Read 2503 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2018, 11:31:58 EST »

..when Williams turned his ankle and fell down into the ballcarrier, fouling out in the process? I thought this game was going to go the same way when Bone got that traveling call after landing on his teammate. Glad they could brush off the adversity this time.

That was basically a roadgame. Not just with the pro-GU crowd, but also the way it was officiated. We overcame a lot today. Now, we get not just this win on our resume, but also their win over Duke. This puts us in solid shape to land a #1 seed this March, as long as we don't fall apart in SEC play.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 12:09:16 EST »

Love this team 
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:10:20 EST »

That was basically a roadgame. Not just with the pro-GU crowd, but also the way it was officiated. We overcame a lot today.

Yep. That Bone travel started with a Gonzaga push in the back on the rebound that wasn't called. Williams' 4th foul was a complete joke, and his 5th foul came after a travel that wasn't called. Gonzaga got most of the whistles down the stretch.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:15:48 EST »

Yep. That Bone travel started with a Gonzaga push in the back on the rebound that wasn't called. Williams' 4th foul was a complete joke, and his 5th foul came after a travel that wasn't called. Gonzaga got most of the whistles down the stretch.

Not to mention that block that gave the announcers a 30 minute orgasm was a blatant foul.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 04:03:04 EST »

Not to mention that block that gave the announcers a 30 minute orgasm was a blatant foul.

This.. no one mentioned that the dude smashed Pons in the face with his hands

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 06:59:49 EST »

Eh, I was watching with my brother, and he pointed out the contact came after the block.  That used to be a foul anyway, but who knows maybe they call it different now or have even changed the rule.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 02:47:43 EST »

Eh, I was watching with my brother, and he pointed out the contact came after the block.  That used to be a foul anyway, but who knows maybe they call it different now or have even changed the rule.   

No it's not a different rule, it is a foul. They just missed it

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 04:05:57 EST »

For the past few years, NCAA officials have allowed the principle of verticality area for defenders - and they should. Our bigs use the defensive maneuver quite effectively, btw.

That said, the only contact between Pons and Clarke on that play was body contact. Clarke never touches him in any other way, imo (I've watched it in slow motion multiple times - I really wanted it to be a foul.)

So the question becomes, should Clarke have been called for the body contact. I don't think so. Pons' momentum toward the rim is what caused the contact while Clarke, who was not completely vertical, was in good defensive position imo.

As much as it pains me to say it, that was just an incredible rejection.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:36:15 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:15:24 EST »

For the past few years, NCAA officials have allowed the principle of verticality area for defenders - and they should. Our bigs use the defensive maneuver quite effectively, btw.

That said, the only contact between Pons and Clarke on that play was body contact. Clarke never touches him in any other way, imo (I've watched it in slow motion multiple times - I really wanted it to be a foul.)

So the question becomes, should Clarke have been called for the body contact. I don't think so. Pons' momentum toward the rim is what caused the contact while Clarke, while not completely vertical, was in good defensive position imo.

As much as it pains me to say it, that was just an incredible rejection.

I thought it was clean, too. Perhaps not worthy of the oohing and awing that went on and on from our illustrious TV commentators, but a clean block nonetheless.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:21:07 EST »

I thought it was clean, too. Perhaps not worthy of the oohing and awing that went on and on from our illustrious TV commentators, but a clean block nonetheless.

Completely agree. I too disliked the hype that it was given - but that could be due to my orange bias.

I think that part of what made it so hype-able was the fact that Pons appeared to be on the verge of a rim shattering dunk. And then, not. It was a great stop by Clarke.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: