VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:02:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harold Effing Baines has been elected to the MLB HOF...  (Read 2750 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2018, 04:52:26 EST »

...and still, Dale Murphy stands out in the cold.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:57:08 EST »

Hooters hangover?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:02:02 EST »

Hooters hangover?   

Huh?

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 03:15:53 EST »

Ridiculous, although I don't share your sypport for Murph.  He had the two MVPs, but his numbers are pretty pedestrian.  I am purist old school, I think the hall should be limited to the best of the best.  Harold Baines is an insult
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 06:57:05 EST »

Ridiculous, although I don't share your sypport for Murph.  He had the two MVPs, but his numbers are pretty pedestrian.  I am purist old school, I think the hall should be limited to the best of the best.  Harold Baines is an insult

I actually agree- if I were in charge, there'd be maybe 50 guys in the HOF, tops. Many years, there would be zero inductees.

But with the precedent they've set many times, Murph absolutely deserves it. For the better part of a decade, he was in the argument for best all-around player in the NL (Only Mike Schmidt could compare with him in his prime). 2 MVPs, top 5 three other times. 5 gold gloves. NOT EVEN A HINT OF PED USE. Everything MLB wants its players to be off the field, and more. Just because he hung on too long and saw his career numbers dragged down in his later years, that shouldn't detract from what he did in his prime.

If you're going include guys like Baines, Ozzie Smith, Kirby Puckett, and Carlton Fisk, Murph HAS to be there too.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 10:44:45 EST »

I agree. If Baines can get in, then about 200 more players  that are just on the outside looking in should be shoo-ins.

volsboyinsodak
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 02:20:41 EST »

I love #3, but don't think he's HOF material. However, my definition much more stringent than the Hall's.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 10:29:10 EST »

First remember Baines quite a few times when he played for the old Knox Sox.  He was a good hitter and played on some crappy Chisox teams, but certainly not HOF worth, IMO. 

Sometimes I just don't get what the criteria is.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: