VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 01:06:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just going out on a limb here, but I think our hoops team might be pretty good.*  (Read 3046 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:23:04 EST »

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 11:00:03 EST »

No matter how lopsided this gets, they should leave Turner in there. He's clearly rusty, so let him keep shooting.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:05:21 EST »

LOL- CRB plays Golden Tee? I KNEW liked that guy.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 11:20:40 EST »

I mean, this score looks like a Lady Vols vs. Tennessee State game back in Pat's heyday.

Remember- this team beat us in Athens last year, and took us to the buzzer in Knoxville.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 11:51:37 EST »

Think I heard it was the 2nd largest margin of victory against a SEC team in UT history.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 11:55:03 EST »

Wow.  Nice way to start SEC play.   
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 02:14:28 EST »

That was an industrial strength beat down.

It's hard to believe that was a game against an SEC team. I don't expect the remaining games to be that easy.

But this team can beat anyone.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 05:56:55 EST »

And the neat thing about it is none of the players were very highly rated. 3 stars & maybe some 2 stars. I think Pons may be the highest rated player on the roster. Just an incredible job by Coach Barnes & staff. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 06:02:16 EST »

And the neat thing about it is none of the players were very highly rated. 3 stars & maybe some 2 stars. I think Pons may be the highest rated player on the roster. Just an incredible job by Coach Barnes & staff. 

Yep. Pons is the highest rated, at a 4 star. Bone, Bowden, Williams, Schofield, Turner, Fulkerson, Johnson, Walker, Alexander were all 3 stars. Alexander may have been a 2 star actually.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 02:48:01 EST »

Yep. Pons is the highest rated, at a 4 star. Bone, Bowden, Williams, Schofield, Turner, Fulkerson, Johnson, Walker, Alexander were all 3 stars. Alexander may have been a 2 star actually.

And so the obvious question is: If Barnes can develop lower rated guys to this level, what can he do with a 5* McDonalds All-American (looking at you, Josiah James)?

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 05:35:44 EST »

And so the obvious question is: If Barnes can develop lower rated guys to this level, what can he do with a 5* McDonalds All-American (looking at you, Josiah James)?

I think he will also land Keon Johnson. Look no further than what he did with DJ Augustine and Kevin Durant
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 06:28:18 EST »

I think he will also land Keon Johnson. Look no further than what he did with DJ Augustine and Kevin Durant

While it's fun to imagine how far he could take a team with upgraded recruiting, it's probably not wise to use this year's team as a measuring stick going forward. While these guys may not be the most talented bunch in America, I think the personalities and chemistry on this team are pretty damn special. That's something you just can't duplicate- and to expect future teams to do so probably isn't fair to them, and is only setting us up for disappointment.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 06:47:08 EST »

While it's fun to imagine how far he could take a team with upgraded recruiting, it's probably not wise to use this year's team as a measuring stick going forward. While these guys may not be the most talented bunch in America, I think the personalities and chemistry on this team are pretty damn special. That's something you just can't duplicate- and to expect future teams to do so probably isn't fair to them, and is only setting us up for disappointment.

Yep enjoy this team.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 07:29:15 EST »

5he even bigger question: can he coach a football team? 

11B4PJ3F7
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 05:52:23 EST »

As this team began its run last season, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. All off-season, as hype built for this season, I kept telling myself there was no way this team was that good; last year was an anomaly. Even though we probably beat Kansas if Grant Williams doesn't foul out, I said we probably did good just to hang with them. Beating Gonzaga on a neutral court? The Zags just didn't play that well. I suppose that's battered fan syndrome. I've been afraid to buy in. I mean, obviously I know this is a good team that can play with anybody in America, but the words "Tennessee" and "Final Four contender" just don't belong in the same sentence, do they?

At some point Saturday, as I sat in the rafters in Section 317A (because that's the best seats I could get without donating a kidney...since when is it an issue to find tickets for UT-UGA?) and watched us completely dismantle a Georgia team that thought it was really something -- stonewalling them on defense and methodically breaking their will on offense -- I finally admitted it: This is a very, very good team.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: