VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 01:56:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well that was at least a little bittersweet. I thought Trevor Lawrence  (Read 2695 times)
SmokeyJoe
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:08:30 EST »

carved up bamas D like his idol, Manning. Bama pass D was awful, and just helpless. Some beautifully designed plays, too.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 03:13:24 EST »

I wish I could've read Butch's mind as he stood there on bama's sideline watching bama get smoked by all those great players he let get away from Tennessee.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:17:36 EST »

I wish I could've read Butch's mind as he stood there on bama's sideline watching bama get smoked by all those great players he let get away from Tennessee.

It makes me sick.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:36:13 EST »

And here's the thing: If Dabo remains at Clemson (and he will if he's smart), he could go on a run that dwarfs even what Saban has done. He turns 50 this year, and could coach for another 20 years or more. Thanks to the league he plays in, he's pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot every year. Saban's pushing 70, he'll be out of the picture within a few years. Meyer's out of the picture (for now).

Who's going to challenge Dabo?

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:28:36 EST »

I try to dull my pain by telling myself this is the way it had to happen to perhaps knock Bama down.  Even if we would've got Trevor, Tee, Amari....  They wouldn't have had the supporting cast they do now... Or the coaching and development they do now.  Not at all taking anything away from their individual talents and abilities, they are great.  And not saying I didn't want them anyway because I did... Trevor seems like a great kid.

But what are the chances, honestly, that they thrive under Butch?  Does Butch get canned when he does if they come?  Does he run one or all of them off with his nonsense? 

I'm just saying, it's not like we are playing Bama last night for it all if we get them here.  We are in a bowl this year most likely, but I guess what my point is.. Is everything happens for a reason.  And at least they didn't go to to Florida or some bullcrap like that.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:27:58 EST »

And here's the thing: If Dabo remains at Clemson (and he will if he's smart), he could go on a run that dwarfs even what Saban has done. He turns 50 this year, and could coach for another 20 years or more. Thanks to the league he plays in, he's pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot every year. Saban's pushing 70, he'll be out of the picture within a few years. Meyer's out of the picture (for now).

Who's going to challenge Dabo?

You're depressing me.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 05:42:32 EST »

Apparently Butch didn't go after him because he wasn't mobile enough.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 06:51:02 EST »

Some of Lawrence's family say that if Butch had simply started recruiting him early, there's no doubt Lawrence would've been at UT. But Butch waited until Lawrence's junior year to amp up his efforts, and by that point Lawrence was pretty disconcerted with it and basically ignored UT.

The gift that just keeps giving...
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:00:19 EST »

I'm happy to see kids put in a position to succeed. Dabo does that. Our OL would have gotten Lawrence killed.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:42 EST »

Some of Lawrence's family say that if Butch had simply started recruiting him early, there's no doubt Lawrence would've been at UT. But Butch waited until Lawrence's junior year to amp up his efforts, and by that point Lawrence was pretty disconcerted with it and basically ignored UT.

The gift that just keeps giving...

I thought he was a UT commit at one time.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 09:14:41 EST »

I thought he was a UT commit at one time.

No. He committed to Clemson in December 2016 as a high school junior. Tennessee offered him when he was a sophomore, and he stated from his first days in high school that Tennessee was the leader. But apparently Butch and staff didn't pay him much attention until his junior season. By that point, the damage had been done.

We can all speculate about why Butch dropped the ball on Lawrence...but it's a pretty easy guess that Butch though he had Emory Jones in the bag. Jones was the top-ranked dual-threat QB in the '18 class, he fit Butch's infallible offense better than Lawrence, and Tennessee was the leader all the way. If Urban Meyer hadn't offered Jones, he would've committed to Tennessee. Of course, he wound up flipping from Ohio State to Florida, so he may not have been attainable anyway.

My guess is Butch was all-in on Emory Jones, believing he was going to land him, until he lost him. Then he turned his attention to Lawrence but Lawrence had no interest in playing second fiddle, regardless of how much he liked Tennessee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: