VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 06:17:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is a strange if true...  (Read 1963 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:35:56 EST »

I cannot confirm this info but here is an interesting tidbit:

You probably know by now that Kentucky plays tonight against LSU while the Vols aren't in action until Wednesday. That's no accident. Basilio Show listener extraordinaire Todd Coffey unveiled the stone cold truth that every team Kentucky plays in Saturday games plays the Wednesday before while Kentucky plays on Tuesday's EVERY week. Think about that for a second. That's damn disgraceful. Kentucky gets an EXTRA DAY OF PREPARATION every week in SEC play.

Kentucky Fans will claim that this is because Kentucky plays on Big Tuesday for TV purposes. Well the SEC plays four games on Tuesday with only 3 played on Wednesday. Even at that somehow every team Kentucky faces on Saturday manages to play on Wednesday ALL SEASON LONG. I'M TALKING THE ENTIRE SEASON. EVERY GAME!!!

http://tonybasilio.com/index.php?page=tony&b=3105
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:36:37 EST »

I cannot confirm this info but here is an interesting tidbit:

You probably know by now that Kentucky plays tonight against LSU while the Vols aren't in action until Wednesday. That's no accident. Basilio Show listener extraordinaire Todd Coffey unveiled the stone cold truth that every team Kentucky plays in Saturday games plays the Wednesday before while Kentucky plays on Tuesday's EVERY week. Think about that for a second. That's damn disgraceful. Kentucky gets an EXTRA DAY OF PREPARATION every week in SEC play.

Kentucky Fans will claim that this is because Kentucky plays on Big Tuesday for TV purposes. Well the SEC plays four games on Tuesday with only 3 played on Wednesday. Even at that somehow every team Kentucky faces on Saturday manages to play on Wednesday ALL SEASON LONG. I'M TALKING THE ENTIRE SEASON. EVERY GAME!!!

http://tonybasilio.com/index.php?page=tony&b=3105

I CAN'T fizzleING BELIEVE THIS shizzle!

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:06 EST »

Just to play the devil's advocate here, that also means that UK gets one less day of prep for all of those midweek games.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:35:56 EST »

Just to play the devil's advocate here, that also means that UK gets one less day of prep for all of those midweek games.

When teams play on Tue or Wed, both teams will have had the same rest, since all SEC weekend games are on Sat (at least that is the way they are scheduled).  When teams play on Sat, the two teams may have both had 3 days off (Tues games) or both had 2 days off (Wed games), or one team had 2 days off and the other had 3 days off - a slight advantage.  There can be no rest advantage on Tue games, but there can be an advantage in Saturday games.  UK got the rest advantage on practically every fizzleING Saturday game.  This is really fizzleING unbelievable.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:42:19 EST »

I'm getting old. I seem to remember when I was a teenager watching Ernie and Bernie that they always played on Saturdays and Mondays. Did I remember that right?

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 02:02:34 EST »

Yeah. I'd say someone in Birmingham has some explaining to do.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 03:44:57 EST »

Yep. You're correct CSV. I want thinking in those terms. Thanks for the clarification.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 06:01:42 EST »

I'm getting old. I seem to remember when I was a teenager watching Ernie and Bernie that they always played on Saturdays and Mondays. Did I remember that right?

I seem to vaguely remember listening to games Monday nights - but I could be wrong.  We moved to a newer house in 1979, and it had one of those intercom/radio systems.  We would play the game with John Ward calling the play in every room of the house!  I loved that.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:36 EST »

Yep - there were conf games on Monday back then....  I don't know how I remembered that.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/tennessee/1979-schedule.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: