VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 03:13:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They looked like a bunch of clowns today.  (Read 5249 times)
SmokeyJoe
« on: March 17, 2019, 10:15:55 EDT »

Unreal. If they can't play two tough games in a row. Forget it. Pearl owns Barnes.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:24:40 EDT »

This team played today like they had won the title yesterday.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:26:30 EDT »

This team played today like they had won the title yesterday.

Exactly what I said the first half......Pearls team plays like he coaches with fire. Today we played like Barnes looked on the bench.....Asleep.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:04:20 EDT »

Exactly what I said the first half......Pearls team plays like he coaches with fire. Today we played like Barnes looked on the bench.....Asleep.

Well one of Pearls better teams got embarrassingly blown out by KY in SECT.  I think today is on the PLAYERS. JMO. That said, Pearl has Barnes # evidently.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 12:23:47 EDT »

Well one of Pearls better teams got embarrassingly blown out by KY in SECT.  I think today is on the PLAYERS. JMO. That said, Pearl has Barnes # evidently.

after today, the head to head is 4-4.  But Pearl has turned it in his favor over the last few games.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 05:01:17 EDT »

It was a disappointing effort. (I only saw the first half; I had to leave before the second half started.) But anyone who hasn't been in that situation (obviously I haven't been, either, on that level, but on a lower level I have) can't imagine how emotionally draining it is to win the type of game Tennessee won last night, then turn around and put together a great effort against a hungry team less than 24 hours later. It was a classic letdown game. I'm not making excuses; Final Four teams have to be able to avoid letdown games. The way this team has sputtered at key moments the last several weeks, I'm not at all convinced we advance to the 3rd weekend of the NCAAT...and it wouldn't be terribly surprising to lose to Cincy in the opening weekend.

But I'll say this: Even if this team came out and laid another egg against Colgate on Friday, nothing can take away from the way this group of players and their coach have represented the University of Tennessee this year. In a sport where there is so much negative to talk about, this team has been absolutely refreshing, and I'm extremely proud that they represent my home state. I'm not going to say they looked like a "bunch of clowns," even if it was an uninspired effort. Seeing how quickly UT fans have been to trash this team on social media today has been incredibly disappointing. How quickly we allow ourselves to become spoiled by success! I understand that winning trumps all, and I was pretty disappointed myself. I tried to listen to the second half on the road and turned it off in disgust.

Final thought: It took me a few years, but I've finally arrived at where Vinnie and others have been for a while now on Bruce Pearl...To be 100% honest, it still wouldn't surprise me if he somehow winds up at UT again someday. Barnes don't have many years left in him and Pearl is still in his prime. But I'm going to admit...my love for Pearl has faded. I really just don't much like the guy anymore. He certainly seems to have Barnes' number in the same way Barnes seems to have Calipari's number, but I'll take our coach over Auburn's coach any day of the week.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:15:06 EDT »

CW, I agree with most of that.

Regardless of what happens from here, it's great to have a basketball team that is relevant - in a big way. This has been an amazing season and this team has given us hope - something that we haven't been able to enjoy in quite a few years.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 06:00:34 EDT »

It was a disappointing effort. (I only saw the first half; I had to leave before the second half started.) But anyone who hasn't been in that situation (obviously I haven't been, either, on that level, but on a lower level I have) can't imagine how emotionally draining it is to win the type of game Tennessee won last night, then turn around and put together a great effort against a hungry team less than 24 hours later. It was a classic letdown game. I'm not making excuses; Final Four teams have to be able to avoid letdown games. The way this team has sputtered at key moments the last several weeks, I'm not at all convinced we advance to the 3rd weekend of the NCAAT...and it wouldn't be terribly surprising to lose to Cincy in the opening weekend.

But I'll say this: Even if this team came out and laid another egg against Colgate on Friday, nothing can take away from the way this group of players and their coach have represented the University of Tennessee this year. In a sport where there is so much negative to talk about, this team has been absolutely refreshing, and I'm extremely proud that they represent my home state. I'm not going to say they looked like a "bunch of clowns," even if it was an uninspired effort. Seeing how quickly UT fans have been to trash this team on social media today has been incredibly disappointing. How quickly we allow ourselves to become spoiled by success! I understand that winning trumps all, and I was pretty disappointed myself. I tried to listen to the second half on the road and turned it off in disgust.

Final thought: It took me a few years, but I've finally arrived at where Vinnie and others have been for a while now on Bruce Pearl...To be 100% honest, it still wouldn't surprise me if he somehow winds up at UT again someday. Barnes don't have many years left in him and Pearl is still in his prime. But I'm going to admit...my love for Pearl has faded. I really just don't much like the guy anymore. He certainly seems to have Barnes' number in the same way Barnes seems to have Calipari's number, but I'll take our coach over Auburn's coach any day of the week.

Interesting you mention our next coach, because I've been thinking about this myself (not that I'm trying to run CRB out the door or anything). Did you see the "SEC Inside" episode that featured UT?  It covered the SC game in Knoxville. The day of the game, Barnes had Frank Martin in to tour the facilities and meet the team, and everyone got along really well. You could tell that there was a mutual respect there, and Martin seemed to really be impressed with our facilities. He and Barnes are pretty similar in their approach, so it wouldn't be a huge adjustment for the players. I think he'd fit in really well. If only the cheapskates controlling the pursestrings at UT will pony up...

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 09:08:18 EDT »

I agree.  There is much to be proud of with this team, and one stumble against Auburn is forgivable.  Fans are so demanding these days.  Plus they can redeem themselves in the big dance.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 03:16:34 EDT »

It was certainly a major letdown from Saturday... Sat evening it certainly felt like we were celebrating a championship and I'm sure the team felt the same way.  Bruce has his guys playing fearless and with nothing to lose, and that's now how we looked at all and it's on Barnes and the team.  Plus, Auburn's style of play is a matchup nightmare.  Still, no excuse for that performance... absolute worst showing of the year.  Grant and Admiral were non factors.  Barnes didn't look like he had any answers.  We looked like we had no idea how to find the shooters.  Terribly frustrating.

Funny you mention Bruce... I've reached a point where I'm pretty ambivalent about him,  I really don't think about him as much as I used to.  I don't harbor any ill feelings for him, and if somehow he comes back someday great.  The TN job will certainly be more attractive the next time we're searching for a coach than the last few years.  And the way Bruce's assistants are getting nailed, it wouldn't surprise me if he finds himself in more hot water.  Actually it would surprise me more if he didn't.

I was telling my Dad that I didn't think I could ever love a TN team as much as the Pearl/Lofton teams... but I've reached that point this year.  Yesterday's game leaves a bad taste for sure, and like you I wouldn't be shocked if we got booted on the first weekend because this team just doesn't show the same intensity all the time, but I couldn't be more proud of this group of guys.  They absolutely couldn't represent UT any better than they have.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:24:35 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 04:21:57 EDT »

Also, credit to the Auburn players... Don't think I've ever seen a shooting display like that.  They could've beaten any of the 1 seeds with that performance yesterday.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 04:48:03 EDT »

Seems Auburn plays that law of average game....Fire up a lot of 3's and hope several go in.....Did I read it right that Auburn made 15 threes but fired up 40?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 05:16:54 EDT »

Their 3's aren't what beat us though. They get in the passing lanes and force a ton of turnovers. We saw this for 6 years when BP was at UT. In the first half, it seemed like we went 10 minutes or so without even getting a shot off. Just turnover after turnover. That was the difference in the game right there. If you can't run your halfcourt sets, you have to score in transition. To create transition, you have to get stops and get rebounds on their end- and we weren't doing that either. Basically, we did NOTHING well yesterday. It's a wonder that we only lost by 20.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 05:36:17 EDT »

You negative nannies need to get off the bandwagon, IMO.    If you want to get all negative because of a bad game or two -- then you are not a true Vol fan.  Bottom line is this -- Barnes has taken a bunch of 2 and 3 star players and built a national championship contender with them!  Will they win it all?  Who knows...will they go deep in the tourney?  who knows......but win or lose, this is my favorite team of all time.  I've been a fan longer than many of you have been alive....so it's been a few years!    This team is made up of guys who love each other, love Tennessee, love Coach Barnes and love the fans -- they are a class act plus have given us so much fun and lots of big wins over the last 2 seasons.    I'm sick of people getting all negative because of a bad game -- then back on the bandwagon when they win.   

GO BIG ORANGE!!! GO VOLS!!!!  #VFL     

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 07:35:55 EDT »

I love this team.  I love what this team has done and the excitement that they have given us.

That said, being critical doesn't make someone a bad fan, imo.  I love my son, but when he is wrong or not doing what he is supposed to do I am going to correct him.  It doesn't mean that I don't still love him - in fact, it shows him that I do.

Athletes accept that they are going to be "graded" on their performances - and if they don't want that then they should not be competing.  The same is true for coaches; they know that their work will be analyzed and reviewed, often times in a negative manner.  Its part of the profession.

I'm not advocating for abusive and insanely arrogant criticisms or rebukes.  That is unacceptable.  I do not, however, think that anyone on this site is a bad fan (or a bandwagon fan) because they are critical of the team or coaches.  Constructive criticism is a very valuable tool to help people improve their performance - just ask Jordan Bone (he's been in Rick's doghouse more times than I can count).

Just my $0.02 worth (maybe its not that valuable). 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 08:14:56 EDT »

You negative nannies need to get off the bandwagon, IMO.    If you want to get all negative because of a bad game or two -- then you are not a true Vol fan.  Bottom line is this -- Barnes has taken a bunch of 2 and 3 star players and built a national championship contender with them!  Will they win it all?  Who knows...will they go deep in the tourney?  who knows......but win or lose, this is my favorite team of all time.  I've been a fan longer than many of you have been alive....so it's been a few years!    This team is made up of guys who love each other, love Tennessee, love Coach Barnes and love the fans -- they are a class act plus have given us so much fun and lots of big wins over the last 2 seasons.    I'm sick of people getting all negative because of a bad game -- then back on the bandwagon when they win.   

GO BIG ORANGE!!! GO VOLS!!!!  #VFL     

Some are going too far with the negativity, for sure.  I don't THINK I would put myself in that group.  And anyone that attended every single Butch Jones coached home football game should forever be excluded from bandwagon consideration.   

And I agree, this is my favorite TN team of all time as well.  I never thought I'd love a team the way I loved those Lofton teams but this year's team tops it for me.

All the more reason it hurts so much to think that this team may not hang a single banner.  I shrugged my shoulders after 3 of the 4 regular season losses, and the only reason the LSU loss got me so fired up was the Tiger loving refs.  For me, personally.. yesterday's disaster has taken so much wind out of my sails because this group of guys deserved it more than any. 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:52 EDT »

Frustration is one thing,  but calling them clowns and all sorts of other names I've seen around just pisses me off.  I've been a fan for over 60 years and I've never called any of our teams names like I'm seeing on social media over this 1 loss.

BTW this rant was brought on by 1 post here and others on Twitter....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 08:35:28 EDT »

I'm sorry, but this team pissed away the regular season and the tourney championship. Why sugar coat it? They are not above criticism. Barnes is getting paid big money to win the games he is supposed to. And with hindsight, there is not that many teams on the schedule he should have lost too.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:27 EDT »

Their 3's aren't what beat us though. They get in the passing lanes and force a ton of turnovers. We saw this for 6 years when BP was at UT. In the first half, it seemed like we went 10 minutes or so without even getting a shot off. Just turnover after turnover. That was the difference in the game right there. If you can't run your halfcourt sets, you have to score in transition. To create transition, you have to get stops and get rebounds on their end- and we weren't doing that either. Basically, we did NOTHING well yesterday. It's a wonder that we only lost by 20.
We were uncharacteristically out of sync - passes that normally were precise were just off.  Williams had two errant passes like so in the first 5 minutes.  Bone with a couple and Turner with 1. 

I think the intensity of Saturday just sapped them of their normal mental edge.

Some days you are the windshield, some days the bug - Yesterday was one of the latter

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 08:40:08 EDT »

I'm sorry, but this team pissed away the regular season and the tourney championship. Why sugar coat it? They are not above criticism. Barnes is getting paid big money to win the games he is supposed to. And with hindsight, there is not that many teams on the schedule he should have lost too.
fizzle OFF!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 08:56:06 EDT »

Frustration is one thing,  but calling them clowns and all sorts of other names I've seen around just pisses me off.  I've been a fan for over 60 years and I've never called any of our teams names like I'm seeing on social media over this 1 loss.

Granny, I know that I may have come across as being critical of your post.  I didn't really intend for it to be taken in that vein, however.  I agree that abusive criticism is uncalled for.  I didn't intend to dispute what you were trying to say so much as give my views on the subject.

Sometimes I am not very good at communicating my thoughts.

My apologies if it seemed to be argumentative.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 09:08:39 EDT »

Oh yeah, the "clowns" thing is too far.   
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 09:13:44 EDT »

Granny, I know that I may have come across as being critical of your post.  I didn't really intend for it to be taken in that vein, however.  I agree that abusive criticism is uncalled for.  I didn't intend to dispute what you were trying to say so much as give my views on the subject.

Sometimes I am not very good at communicating my thoughts.

My apologies if it seemed to be argumentative.
Your post didn't bother me... it's the name calling by some folks here and on Twitter that gets me fired up...

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 09:16:12 EDT »

I think the intensity of Saturday just sapped them of their normal mental edge.

Another important point... Listening to Barnes at noon, he said the win over UK on Saturday felt like a national championship game in terms of the level of play, the physicality, and the emotional energy spent.  No excuses but I'm sure it's hard to turn around from that to play a 1pm game and be ready to go.  I know I personally felt like we won the national championship Saturday evening, as well.  Might have even had the thought cross my mind "I don't even care about what happens Sunday!" cause we had just beat UK in the Big Blue Invitational.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 08:04:38 EDT »

Your post didn't bother me... it's the name calling by some folks here and on Twitter that gets me fired up...

I apologize for the term clowns. Obviously they are very fine young men that simply had a bad game, but boy was it bad. They & Coach Barnes have spoiled us. I really wanted the SECT Championship. I admit I'm biased after living in KY 30 years. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: