VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:04:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bammer firing Avery Johnson?  (Read 1837 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2019, 02:30:18 EDT »

I thought he was doing a pretty good job. Something doesn't add up here.

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/2019/03/avery-johnson-alabama-negotiating-buyout.html

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 05:16:48 EDT »

I dunno. Word out of Tuscaloosa for a while has been that his seat was getting hotter by the minute. I like AJ. And he didn't do too poorly by Alabama standards. I think the Tide administration has delusions of grandeur when it comes to basketball (I say that fully realizing that Tennessee isn't a CBB blue blood). They fired Anthony Grant — who I thought was a really good coach — two years removed from three consecutive 20+ win seasons. If Grant wasn't safe after finishing first in the SECW in the last year of divisional play and finishing as the regular season conference runner-up another year, AJ wasn't going to be safe with a losing record in conference play 3 out of 4 years. They also fired Mark Gottfried two years removed from 5 consecutive NCAAT appearances.

Alabama may be searching for something that's unobtainable.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:33:28 EDT »

I heard Vandy canned their coach as well. He hasn't been there too long has he?

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 06:14:10 EDT »

Didn't something come out of the FBI probe about shenanigans with Colin Sexton's recruitment? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 06:50:15 EDT »

Seeing UT doing well in BB didn't help...but IMO the main reason is Pearl and Auburn doing real well just pisses Bama off to no end.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:55:33 EDT »

$8 million buyout if they fire him before April 15.  $6 million if they fire him after April 15. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:16:48 EDT »

He has underachieved with the talent he has brought in.  Bammer has good talent, but has been very inconsistent.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: