VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 02:42:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For us to advance any further Grant and Admiral cannot get in foul trouble  (Read 2878 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2019, 09:43:43 EDT »

Simply put we have no bigs off the bench that can bring any offense, so if they sit, we are very limited inside. That's basically what happened in this game, Admiral and Grant had to sit a lot, and the guards didn't really know what to do, we passed it around, telegraphed passes, and stopped attacking.

This is the weakness of this team - lack of depth with the bigs.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:00:42 EDT »

Really surprised Walker hasn't developed. Very disappointing. We only had 6 scorers today. That won't cut it either.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 10:04:14 EDT »

Actually we don't have championship caliber depth at guard either. No quality depth. The one disappointing thing about the year.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 10:12:18 EDT »

Basically we have 6 players & two that can spell for 5-7 minutes. Still we are in the sweet 16 & may well make the final 4. Don't see much chance of winning it all. But we were picked last in the league last year. Quite a run! All gravy from here!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 06:05:13 EDT »

Actually we don't have championship caliber depth at guard either. No quality depth. The one disappointing thing about the year.

Bowden coming off the bench is very good, but other than that yeah - we needed one more guy.

Unfortunately Fulkerson isn't a guy who can score that much - he is a guy who hustles and makes a few plays. He needs to work on shooting the ball in the off season.

We needed Walker, Pons, and Johnson to develop this year. I think Johnson has the offense but not the defense

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 06:14:43 EDT »

Thought Walker would have developed this year more but hasn't. I just don't know what to think about Pons.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 06:35:10 EDT »

Thought Walker would have developed this year more but hasn't. I just don't know what to think about Pons.
That is truly a head scratcher. He actually seems to have regressed, imo.

At times, Walker has played well this year but he is really inconsistent (more bad than good, I think). We would be a much better team if he had stepped up this year.

Hopefully both of these guys really grow by laps and bounds during the off season.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 07:28:42 EDT »

Pons doesn't have a lot of basketball IQ - hasn't played the game long enough. He is an athlete trying to play basketball

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 07:51:57 EDT »

As I said in-game, they need more situational awareness. When you're up by 20+ in the first half, you don't have to contest every gimme layup. If you get beat deep in the paint, just let it go and live to fight another day, because you KNOW that some mercy whistles will be coming in the 2nd half (and the 2nd half officiating was indeed horrendous). When both Grant and Admiral had 2 fouls by halftime, I knew we were asking for trouble.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 09:24:02 EDT »

As I said in-game, they need more situational awareness. When you're up by 20+ in the first half, you don't have to contest every gimme layup. If you get beat deep in the paint, just let it go and live to fight another day, because you KNOW that some mercy whistles will be coming in the 2nd half (and the 2nd half officiating was indeed horrendous). When both Grant and Admiral had 2 fouls by halftime, I knew we were asking for trouble.

Exactly....Like that stupid foul up 23 with 3.1 left right before the half. Put Iowa on the line and they made them both to cut it to 21. I had a feeling that was going to add fuel to the fire.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 09:45:31 EDT »

The late foul on Lamonte was a joke - it gave them 3 free throws to tie the game. It was a great defensive play - No foul there, and likely we were about to get a runout and go up by 5. Huge swing in that game.

That and the double foul on Fulky and Iowa's guard - their guy pushes ours off and they give them a double foul.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:47:37 EDT by Volznut » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 10:01:46 EDT »

The late foul on Lamonte was a joke - it gave them 3 free throws to tie the game. It was a great defensive play - No foul there, and likely we were about to get a runout and go up by 5. Huge swing in that game.

That and the double foul on Fulky and Iowa's guard - their guy pushes ours off and they give them a double foul.

On the Lamonte foul Barnes in his presser today said when he asked one of the refs about that foul the ref replied.....Don't look at the monitor. As in they knew they blew it. The studio crew after the game said that was a bad call....That bad call could have sent us home and was called by a ref 30 feet away. Odd.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 10:43:45 EDT »

Fulkerson did walk back towards him, should have just let it go.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 12:05:28 EDT »

Fulkerson did walk back towards him, should have just let it go.

Yep..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: