VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 01:04:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We have to play both halves  (Read 2204 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:33:26 EDT »

That's two games in a row we build a big lead and then seemingly relax.  Give some credit to Iowa, they came back from 13 down against Cincy, but there is no excuse for the second half letups.  Barnes needs to polish up his half time talk, because whatever he's saying, ain't working. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:48:19 EDT »

First off, I'm a huge Rick Barnes fan. I my opinion, we are so blessed to have him at this university and it is really amazing that he's here. He's not only a great coach and teacher, but he's also a first class individual who I think does things the right way. My utmost respect for CRB would not have changed even had we lost today.

That said, I think that he made a coaching mistake today in changing to a slow down type game in the second half. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Grant's comments suggest to me that the second half strategy out of the locker room was to take the air out of the ball.

If you look at the shot chart, we took only three 3's in the second half (all of them late in the game). We went away from what put us up by 21 (25 at one point). They became the aggressor and we got out of rhythm.

There were many other factors as well, all of which contributed to the meltdown, but I think that slowing the pace of our offense was a mistake.

Regardless, we are Sweet Sixteen and in the end that's all that really matters.

GBO!!!!!!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 10:55:23 EDT »

I would think you would want to keep pouring it on coming out of the locker room. Maybe switch with 10-12 minutes.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 11:02:13 EDT »

I would think you would want to keep pouring it on coming out of the locker room. Maybe switch with 10-12 minutes.

I agree. At the 10 minute mark it would make much more sense with a 20 point lead.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 11:58:35 EDT »

I agree. At the 10 minute mark it would make much more sense with a 20 point lead.

Yep.  We slowed it down too early.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 02:28:11 EDT »

First off, I'm a huge Rick Barnes fan. I my opinion, we are so blessed to have him at this university and it is really amazing that he's here. He's not only a great coach and teacher, but he's also a first class individual who I think does things the right way. My utmost respect for CRB would not have changed even had we lost today.

That said, I think that he made a coaching mistake today in changing to a slow down type game in the second half. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Grant's comments suggest to me that the second half strategy out of the locker room was to take the air out of the ball.

If you look at the shot chart, we took only three 3's in the second half (all of them late in the game). We went away from what put us up by 21 (25 at one point). They became the aggressor and we got out of rhythm.

There were many other factors as well, all of which contributed to the meltdown, but I think that slowing the pace of our offense was a mistake.

GBO!!!!!!

Agree 100%......We just aren't good slowing it down and when we think we make turnovers...we had 11 TOs the 2nd half. I saw where we shot about half the shots the 2nd half we did the 1st half. Add the 11 TOs Iowa got 30 more shot chances the 2nd half than we did. Don't pull back on the reins when your thoroughbred is on the final turn with a 4 length lead....JMO.
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 03:09:10 EDT »

GBO!!!!!!

Yes. I was pacing and griping to everyone and no one the entire second half. I didn't understand the strategy. I love Rick Barnes. I love everything he stands for. But I don't think he has that aggressive mentality that you have to have in sports -- the penchant to go for the throat, show no mercy. I think that's why he's consistently come up short in the postseason. We came out with an excellent game plan, smacked Iowa in the mouth, and they did not have an answer. We were destroying them. We should've come out in the second half and continued to take the fight to them. Once you take your foot off the gas, it's incredibly difficult to put it back on again.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 03:30:01 EDT »

Yes. I was pacing and griping to everyone and no one the entire second half. I didn't understand the strategy. I love Rick Barnes. I love everything he stands for. But I don't think he has that aggressive mentality that you have to have in sports -- the penchant to go for the throat, show no mercy. I think that's why he's consistently come up short in the postseason. We came out with an excellent game plan, smacked Iowa in the mouth, and they did not have an answer. We were destroying them. We should've come out in the second half and continued to take the fight to them. Once you take your foot off the gas, it's incredibly difficult to put it back on again.

Barnes said AS wasn't in the game late and OT because AS and Turner and others said leave him out. Barnes said the team has a pulse of what's going on so he went with it......If we get a big lead again and Barnes wants to go to the 4 corners offense the pulse of the team should say screw it coach we gonna ball all out.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 04:09:06 EDT »

Barnes said AS wasn't in the game late and OT because AS and Turner and others said leave him out. Barnes said the team has a pulse of what's going on so he went with it......If we get a big lead again and Barnes wants to go to the 4 corners offense the pulse of the team should say screw it coach we gonna ball all out.

After the discussions started on Volquest about Admiral not being on the floor for the last play of regulation, I went back and rewatched the last timeout in regulation. There was definitely a discussion among the team and then Grant appeared to turn to Admiral and tell him "you're out".

Admiral just seemed to say "OK" and be fine with it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 07:39:29 EDT »

After the discussions started on Volquest about Admiral not being on the floor for the last play of regulation, I went back and rewatched the last timeout in regulation. There was definitely a discussion among the team and then Grant appeared to turn to Admiral and tell him "you're out".

Admiral just seemed to say "OK" and be fine with it.

It worked.   

Schofield led the team early, Williams led it late.  Now that's teamwork.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: