VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:05:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoiughts on Fulmer so far as AD?  (Read 1876 times)
10EC
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:17:15 EDT »

If he fires Holly, he gets an A in my book.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:07:48 EDT »

That will be his first major test as to whether he has the guts to do what must be done. Then we'll see if he makes a good hire.

He made the football hire, but he didn't have to do the firing on that one. The jury is still out on Pruitt- and since he apparently had Mike Leach on the hook and let him go, he'd better hope Pruitt succeeds.

I think Rick Barnes will be due a nice raise/extension after this season, too.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:39:58 EDT »

Good so far in my book.  In addition to what BDV mentioned, he helped get us a way better OC than I thought was possible and helped make Tee happen too.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 05:34:02 EDT »

I don't know that we have enough data to grade just yet. Phil's weakness as a head coach was his loyalty. The WBB situation will be the first time he's tested in that regard. Holly's comments after Saturday's game tell me that Phil hasn't given her a vote of confidence behind the scenes, so that's probably a good thing. However, I have also seen it said by some that his #1 priority is fixing football and he isn't going to address anything else until then (meaning he won't touch WBB this offseason and Holly gets a pass). If that's his approach, and surely it isn't, it would be a failure.

On football, I think he hired Pruitt so that he could get a guy who shared his philosophies and who he could exact a little control over if need be. If that's the case, and Pruitt fails, that's directly on Fulmer.

My opinion on Fulmer as AD is neither good nor bad at this point. I'm still in wait-and-see mode.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 06:16:06 EDT »

I don't know that we have enough data to grade just yet. Phil's weakness as a head coach was his loyalty. The WBB situation will be the first time he's tested in that regard. Holly's comments after Saturday's game tell me that Phil hasn't given her a vote of confidence behind the scenes, so that's probably a good thing. However, I have also seen it said by some that his #1 priority is fixing football and he isn't going to address anything else until then (meaning he won't touch WBB this offseason and Holly gets a pass). If that's his approach, and surely it isn't, it would be a failure.

On football, I think he hired Pruitt so that he could get a guy who shared his philosophies and who he could exact a little control over if need be. If that's the case, and Pruitt fails, that's directly on Fulmer.

My opinion on Fulmer as AD is neither good nor bad at this point. I'm still in wait-and-see mode.

^Right there with you CW.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 10:56:45 EDT »

That's why I was puzzled by them giving Holly the extension.  Now they will have to pay for that if she is fired.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 11:21:27 EDT »

That's why I was puzzled by them giving Holly the extension.  Now they will have to pay for that if she is fired.

It's the nature of the beast nowadays in athletics.  Failure to extend a coach hurts recruiting, and recruiting is the life's blood of any college athletic program.  The agents have a big leverage advantage over the colleges at this point, unfortunately.

And the source of the leverage is that fans are willing to donate and pay a lot.  If not for the increase in fan spending, the large salaries and ridiculous buyouts would not be possible. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: