VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 05:45:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And of course Geno has to chime in and try to poison the waters...  (Read 2171 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:19:34 EDT »

"But their fan base is a lot like ours. They're impatient. They want everything right now. There's not going to be a lot of patience for whoever the next person is, so they're going to have to be great right away."

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26380790/auriemma-impatient-fans-await-next-vols-coach

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 10:34:35 EDT »

Geno knows that there hasn't been much to limit his success since Pat's cognitive decline began. He also realizes that the right hire at Tennessee can throw a bigger obstacle in his path than any other 5 schools combined.

If I'm Geno and I think there's a chance Jeff Walz winds up in Knoxville, I'm quaking in my boots.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57:13 EDT »

I wouldn't expect anything less from Geno. I know how the truth hurts some folks.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:59:25 EDT »

Geno knows that there hasn't been much to limit his success since Pat's cognitive decline began. He also realizes that the right hire at Tennessee can throw a bigger obstacle in his path than any other 5 schools combined.

If I'm Geno and I think there's a chance Jeff Walz winds up in Knoxville, I'm quaking in my boots.

WBB was already slowly moving into an age of parity, but I think that conference re-alignment signaled the beginning of the end of UConn's dynasty. When the music stopped, and UConn was left without a chair in a Power 5 league (and the big bucks that come with it), it made them vulnerable. This was initially offset by the fact that UT, the one program capable of challenging their dominance on a year-in year-out basis, was going through hard times. But then other programs like SC and MSU started to rise. Now, if UT gets good again, it could mean big trouble for Geno. He's not stupid, he knows this.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 12:21:03 EDT »

I don't think that any coach who would be in any way affected by what Geno says would be a good fit for this program anyway.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 12:24:20 EDT »

"But their fan base is a lot like ours. They're impatient. They want everything right now. There's not going to be a lot of patience for whoever the next person is, so they're going to have to be great right away."

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26380790/auriemma-impatient-fans-await-next-vols-coach

I dunno, I wouldn't really call that poisoning the water.  I think it's largely true, and it's how it should be.  I don't agree that the person will have to be "great" right away.  Generally there is a 1-2 year grace period for a new coach.  We tolerated Dooley for a year even, we can put up with whoever the new hire is.

I hope it's Walz.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 02:08:57 EDT »

I mean, the high expectations are why Holly is gone, so...  He's not wrong.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 02:31:35 EDT »

Coaches like Geno do not quake in their boots. Geno is 13 --1 against Waltz. Waltz is not and will never be the coach Geno is.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 04:39:18 EDT »

+100.....He's whistling past the graveyard.
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 04:42:40 EDT »

Coaches like Geno do not quake in their boots. Geno is 13 --1 against Waltz. Waltz is not and will never be the coach Geno is.

It's Walz, not Waltz. However, there's just no comparison between the ceiling at Louisville and the ceiling at Tennessee. If he can consistently take Louisville deep into the NCAAT, think about what he can do at Tennessee. Yes, I believe this is a hire that would instantly make Tennessee a national title contender again...and that's not in Geno's best interest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: