VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 02:02:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The past two years, watching this team, has been great.  (Read 4142 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2019, 04:27:03 EDT »

It is so great to have a team that can compete at a high level again. This group is an incredibly classy group of young men, and that only adds to the pride that I have in saying that I'm blessed to call myself a Vol fan.

We did not match their intensity or their aggressiveness in the first half. Purdue punched us in the mouth early and we didn't really respond until about the 14:00 mark of the second half. We were also 14/28 from the charity stripe (thankfully Purdue was 16/33). Add to that the fact that Purdue shot lights out (Cline was an incredible 7/10 from 3), and you aren't going to win that game very often. It was an amazing effort to close the second half, but it was just a little short.

Personally, I'm upset with the loss but proud of this team and staff. I believe that the best could be yet to come for this program.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 04:29:29 EDT »

I'm very disappointed that we won't get our first trip to the FF, but I'm proud that we came back and almost won this one.  It was so close.  Very grateful to this group of players for getting us this far, and although next season will be a bit of a step back I have confidence in Barnes to get us to a high level again.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:32:47 EDT »

Proud of their character, and it was fun... But all we have to show for it is 2019 being put up on the Sweet Sixteen banner.  Suxes.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:37:46 EDT »

Good season....Thanks to the team

First half did us in....and never thought this team would be that poor from the FT line.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 04:41:27 EDT »

Absolutely. So much about this team I don't understand. You don't see the truly great teams, the teams that wind up in the Final Four time after time, go through stretches like this team goes through...they don't fall behind by 18. They don't blow 25-point leads against far inferior opponents.

But, win or lose, this team does it with class and integrity. I'll always remember this team, and not just for what they accomplished on the floor -- although it was fun. It's one thing to perform at a high level, and it's one thing to perform with class. To do both at the same time is seldom found in college sports. This Tennessee team is one to be celebrated. Like Vinnie said, it really sucks that we didn't add any banners to the rafters this season. But it was an outstanding season nevertheless. I've groaned my way through a lot of terrible basketball seasons. This one made up for a lot of dark days as a Tennessee basketball fan.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 04:49:17 EDT »

Absolutely. So much about this team I don't understand. You don't see the truly great teams, the teams that wind up in the Final Four time after time, go through stretches like this team goes through...they don't fall behind by 18. They don't blow 25-point leads against far inferior opponents.

Even going back to the back half of the season, we struggled to put together a complete game with any consistency.  It's why, in my heart of hearts I knew it was going to end in heartache.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:07:12 EDT »

Needed one stinking defensive stop! In reality, this team exceeded expectations. They were picked last in the SEC just last year. They brought expectations of a final four, or more. Incredible! IMO they were a couple of solid bench players away from winning it all. And still, with better free throw shooting tonight could have been playing Saturday. I'm sad, but they over achieved in reality. The program can get to the very top consistently. I still believe.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 02:44:46 EDT »

Needed one stinking defensive stop! In reality, this team exceeded expectations. They were picked last in the SEC just last year. They brought expectations of a final four, or more. Incredible! IMO they were a couple of solid bench players away from winning it all. And still, with better free throw shooting tonight could have been playing Saturday. I'm sad, but they over achieved in reality. The program can get to the very top consistently. I still believe.

I do think we're setup for sustainable success.  If Bone and Grant come back, I think another Sweet 16 is a reasonable expectation for sure.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 07:16:35 EDT »

I'm very disappointed that we won't get our first trip to the FF, but I'm proud that we came back and almost won this one.  It was so close.  Very grateful to this group of players for getting us this far, and although next season will be a bit of a step back I have confidence in Barnes to get us to a high level again.

Depends. If Grant and Bone come back, we will have 4 seniors on the team, and add James and Burns. That team will be very good

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 08:27:05 EDT »

I am just frustrated that they didn't put together their A game for both halves of any game in the Tourney. Everybody raves about how well they do for a bunch of three star players. Well maybe that's why they didn't go no farther this year, the teams that go to the final fours have a few five star players that the Vols are lacking.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:45:17 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Evol Knievol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 09:06:21 EDT »

I am just frustrated that they didn't put together their A game for both halves of any game in the Tourney. Everybody raves about how well they do for a bunch of three star players. Well maybe that's why they didn't go no farther this year, the teams that go to the final fours have a few five star players that the Vols are lacking.
I would not trade any player in the country for these guys final four or not.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 09:11:00 EDT »

I would not trade any player in the country for these guys final four or not.
Character wise..me neither.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 09:16:42 EDT »

Both Schofield and Grant are in the top 40 of NBA draft prospects.  That makes them, if not 5-star, then very high 4-star prospects in spite of not being highly rated coming out of HS.  We had enough talent, just didn't get it done.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 09:23:09 EDT »

Both Schofield and Grant are in the top 40 of NBA draft prospects.  That makes them, if not 5-star, then very high 4-star prospects in spite of not being highly rated coming out of HS.  We had enough talent, just didn't get it done.
That's the frustrating part. Hard to figure out. The biggest problem is they all took turns having bad nights from night to night.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 09:51:02 EDT »

Until the final 14 minutes, they let Purdue dictate what we did offensively. When it got to crunch time, they seemed to be like "Purdue be damned, we are doing what we do best." It's a real shame that they waited so long to adopt that mentality and physicality. Oh well, it was good while it lasted - even in the bad stretches.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 09:53:51 EDT »

Even going back to the back half of the season, we struggled to put together a complete game with any consistency.  It's why, in my heart of hearts I knew it was going to end in heartache.
This is what I was saying last night.. other than the last 2 KY games, this team has not put together a complete game since the blowout in Rupp.  I thank this team for all they've done to bring Vol BB back!! Sure going to miss the Admiral and Kyle!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 12:07:13 EDT »

The most anticlimactic 31-6 record I could imagine. Just puzzling.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: