VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 05:10:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting here tonight, I'm reminded of Buzz Peterson and Jerry Green  (Read 2501 times)
Creek Walker
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:59:23 EDT »

I remember walking out of Thompson-Boling Arena on February 9, 2005 and vowing that I wouldn't return as long as Buzz Peterson was the coach. UT lost to Alabama that day -- the fifth loss in six games. It dropped the Vols to 11-12 on the season, 4-7 in conference play. Every game I went to that season, and it was a lot, ended in defeat. I was tired of it. I really wanted Peterson to succeed. But it had become apparent that he would never succeed. He was fired a month later.

I also remember sitting in Thompson-Boling Arena in February 2001, when Tony Harris came off the bench in street clothes and raced to the other end of the court to throw himself into a dust-up with Kentucky players, and was ejected. That was the defining moment of the Jerry Green era -- and it came in the midst of yet another loss for a team that had started 16-1 but lost 8 of its next 10 games.

Peterson was a class act as coach, he just wasn't a very good coach. As it turned out, winning the NIT at Tulsa didn't translate into success in the SEC, and being Michael Jordan's former college roommate didn't give him enough pedigree for the job. He failed to make the NCAA Tournament in 4 seasons as coach, despite inheriting some really good talent and keeping the shelves stocked with talent while he was here.

Green won a lot of games, he just didn't have much class. His players acted like thugs. They didn't have respect for much of anybody, least of all him. He didn't have much respect for anybody, either. With the help of Kevin O'Neill's recruiting, he put together the most talented team in Tennessee history and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time in the program's history.

It's one thing to play with class, and it's one thing to play at a high level, but it's a rare thing in college sports to play at a high level and do it with impeccable class.

This Tennessee team did that. I couldn't be more proud of them. The University of Tennessee has been blessed with some great ambassadors through the years, but never has there been a team and a staff that represents this university the way Rick Barnes and his team have. Look around at all the scandal that's unfolding in college basketball right before our very eyes...FBI investigations, wiretaps, imprisoned assistant coaches, suspended head coaches. There aren't very many programs at the top of this sport that have escaped being linked to scandal in some way. But Barnes has taken Tennessee to arguably its loftiest heights ever and he's done it without even a whisper of impropriety.

If you had been sitting in my living room tonight, you wouldn't have seen a 40-year-old man any closer to actual, real tears over a stupid game than when Barnes addressed his team in the locker room for the final time. I remember exactly where I was on September 10, 2010 when Bruce Pearl tearfully admitted wrongdoing at that press conference. I thought Tennessee basketball as we had known it was over. I didn't expect to ever relive the joy of the Pearl era. But these past two yeas have sure been fun. And I've never been prouder to be from East Tennessee and a fan of this university's sports programs than I am right now. I, for one, will never forget this season, these players and these coaches, and the way they conducted themselves on and off the court.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 08:11:17 EDT »

Hear, hear! I second that! 
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 01:52:52 EDT »

Very well said. 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 01:56:28 EDT »

Absolutely... hands down, this is my favorite Vol BB team ever.    I cried watching Coach Barnes address this team after the game.  The love and respect they all have for each other is so obvious.  I am proud these young men represent our Vols!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 02:39:34 EDT »

Thanks, Creek... I needed this this morning..  agree on all points except the fact that I couldn't bring myself to watch Barnes address the team for the last time.  I may at some point, but I just can't right now.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 12:45:31 EDT »

Great post CW....You said it perfectly
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 01:15:16 EDT »

Great post CW....You said it perfectly
Creek should maybe write for a living ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 01:26:57 EDT »

Creek should maybe write for a living ...

Needs to get his azz in Knoxville and boot John Adams out of his office.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 02:39:25 EDT »

He'd ruffle some feathers of the local meteorologists... He wouldn't be able to help himself.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 04:20:01 EDT »

He'd ruffle some feathers of the local meteorologists... He wouldn't be able to help himself.   

I don't know how I got this reputation as a pot-stirrer. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 09:12:11 EDT »

THIS

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: