VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 02:11:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we too quick to call someone a great coach when in reality they are just a  (Read 1957 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2019, 04:28:07 EDT »

good coach. We all think Izzo is a great coach. Is he? He has one championship in 20 years. Calipari. One title at KY, even though he has more talent than anyone year to year. Or does a being a great coach mean they are repeatedly going far into the tournament? Can you be a great coach without winning a title? I'm sure every coaches goal is to win one. Most never do.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:00:49 EDT »

Calipari is overrated.  Period, dot.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:23:18 EDT »

Not all great coaches win championships, imo. Good and average coaches can win championships over great coaches, if the good/average coach has a significant talent advantage.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 09:48:06 EDT »

good coach. We all think Izzo is a great coach. Is he? He has one championship in 20 years. Calipari. One title at KY, even though he has more talent than anyone year to year. Or does a being a great coach mean they are repeatedly going far into the tournament? Can you be a great coach without winning a title? I'm sure every coaches goal is to win one. Most never do.

Dukes coach has 5 titles in 40 years which is very impressive but shows how hard it is. Sabans run at Bama is on par, or close, with Wooden at UCLA. Spurrier only won one nattie for context.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:01:22 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:58:18 EDT »

Izzo is very, very good, too. I think he has been to more FF since 2000 than anyone else.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 12:55:31 EDT »

JMO...but at times the one that wins it all is not always the best team. In a one and done tourney it can be about a team that gets hot at the right time and have some luck a long the way.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 11:32:08 EDT »

JMO...but at times the one that wins it all is not always the best team. In a one and done tourney it can be about a team that gets hot at the right time and have some luck a long the way.

Exactly. One & done, especially with how so many games come down to the wire, is not "pure"... Best you can do is 4 of 7 series. And so, it is what it is. Barnes is certainly capable of making a run to the final four again. I hope we don't lose sight of how much he did get from a team of "nobodies" before last season.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 11:38:36 EDT »

Exactly. One & done, especially with how so many games come down to the wire, is not "pure"... Best you can do is 4 of 7 series. And so, it is what it is. Barnes is certainly capable of making a run to the final four again. I hope we don't lose sight of how much he did get from a team of "nobodies" before last season.

Yeah, how well he coached up our current team gives hope for the future.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: