VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 12:03:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnes to UCLA?  (Read 6984 times)
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2019, 01:51:43 EDT »

I wouldn't bet on it.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Rick-Barnes-UCLA-basketball-Tennessee-130984681/?fbclid=IwAR39Ri-flBoAO9CuR0JSnX2izfst6b9w3inahEKYuw6pSzDtI7bN06zkvKU
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 02:00:23 EDT »

Don't see it....He's close to home and family and not far from retirement. But you never know when it comes to $$$$
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 02:17:46 EDT »

I think that Barnes likes coaching at UT, but any serious financial increase in salary would be difficult to turn down.

I hope he stays.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 02:41:17 EDT »

Nah. He's from Hickory, NC and seems to prefer small towns. Plus UCLA would have to pay a ton to even out the cost of living difference.

I love Barnes, but don't break the bank to keep him.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 03:56:53 EDT »

Now, I'm concerned...

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1115064117461749760?s=12

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 03:57:23 EDT »

*IF* Barnes goes to UCLA, and *IF* reports are true that he is shopping because he's unhappy with Fulmer's support for basketball...yikes.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 04:16:58 EDT »

*IF* Barnes goes to UCLA, and *IF* reports are true that he is shopping because he's unhappy with Fulmer's support for basketball...yikes.

Haven't heard that about Phil not supporting bball...
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 04:26:34 EDT »

Haven't heard that about Phil not supporting bball...

I don't think that's a issue at all. Fulmer and Barnes have a good working relationship. IMO this is all about Barnes and his goals before he retires. If he wants another Final Four or a chance at a NC he might think he has a better chance at UCLA than he would at UT and to be honest I think he would be right if that's the case....He's got a rebuild to do here starting now and if Grant leaves it will make the rebuild even longer. It's just a matter if he wants to rebuild here or at UCLA. He came here and got us back on the map after some bad mojo in our program for several years.....Maybe he'd like to go and put rebuild on his resume at a program with the history that UCLA has?

If Barnes doesn't squash these rumors by mid week if not before then there's something to it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 04:42:26 EDT »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NAEppFUWLfc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/NAEppFUWLfc</a>

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 07:30:42 EDT »

Not gonna happen.  Maybe Barnes gets a bigger pay bump though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 03:36:51 EDT »

Everything I've read seems to indicate its not about Barnes' pay, but perhaps TN' "commitment" to bball in terms of assistants.  If true, one could look at the money TN is chucking at football assistants and sort of understand.

Then again, I don't know if that's Fulmer's fault.  We all know he was hired to fix football at all costs.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 04:29:54 EDT »

Basketball is revenue positive, but football produces, what, 4x the income? If so, hoops coaches are vastly overcompensated.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 04:41:13 EDT »

Don't think it has anything to do with Barnes pay....it's more about the salary pool for his asst coaches. I read his entire asst pay pool is $975,000 with the coach that just left getting almost half of that and then the rest split. He's having to replace some asst coaches and Barnes knows he'll have to have the money to bring in some quality ones.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 04:42:29 EDT »

It's a decent possibility - no one but Barnes knows how he feels here
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 04:58:38 EDT »

Remember that Barnes was essentially paying money out of his own pocket to supplement his assistants' pay prior to the start of this season. I don't think it's a stretch to think that he's unhappy with the support for basketball...which ultimately does fall on Fulmer. I understand Fulmer's desire (and, perhaps, his directive) to fix football, but you need stability until football is fixed. Right now, men's basketball is the closest thing to stability to be found among the major sports programs at UT. If Fulmer lets Barnes walk without doing everything in his power to keep Barnes here, that's majorly disconcerting.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 05:15:15 EDT »

Everyone including Barnes knows football is the cash cow but if it's true what's been reported that Barnes salary pool for asst pay is $975,000 and there's 3 on the football staff making more than that alone and the football S&C coach is darn near making what Barnes asst pool is then I can understand Barnes concerns if that's the issue. I've read that he's interested in bring in Alford to replace Lanier and I'm sure to do that he needs the dollars to do so.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:51:45 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 05:31:41 EDT »

Pay, along with multi-year contracts, for his assistants could very well be the problem.

I respect Barnes for standing up on this issue, if this is indeed the case. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 05:47:30 EDT »

Yeah...his asst coaches have been on 1 year contracts and I'm sure that's a issue.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 06:00:51 EDT »

If they let him out the door over assistants, we don't deserve to be good in basketball.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 06:08:00 EDT »

And if Fulmer gets it done, we'll give him some credit right?   
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 06:16:22 EDT »

And if Fulmer gets it done, we'll give him some credit right?   

Absolutely, I will.  I'm really hoping that this turns out in UT's favor.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 07:22:28 EDT »

Hearing reports now that at the end of the day, CRB maybe will be making more for coaching basketball at UT than Coach Pruitt does for coaching football.  Hmmmmm
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 07:32:43 EDT »

Hearing reports now that at the end of the day, CRB maybe will be making more for coaching basketball at UT than Coach Pruitt does for coaching football.  Hmmmmm

How much is Pruitt even making?

I mean I love CRB and am proud he's our coach... but how much is he really worth?  I don't think it's worth us ponying up and paying him Cal or Coach K money by any means...
Creek Walker
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 08:32:11 EDT »

How much is Pruitt even making?

I mean I love CRB and am proud he's our coach... but how much is he really worth?  I don't think it's worth us ponying up and paying him Cal or Coach K money by any means...

I think you have to weigh it against what kind of revenue the basketball program has generated over the past couple of years. I don't have those numbers, but I do know that Barnes inherited a dumpster fire and built a national championship contender. Maybe he just captured magic with that rag-tag team that he built. Maybe he can't replicate that success without Schofield and Williams. But taking this team to No. 1 in the nation was a masterful coaching job that very few coaches could've pulled off and I think he deserves to be compensated accordingly -- if, in fact, that's what this is about (I don't really think it is).
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 08:35:47 EDT »

Clay Travis tweeting that UCLA may have gotten two SEC basketball coaches lifetime contracts. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: