VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 05:19:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnes to UCLA?  (Read 6975 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 08:54:12 EDT »

Barnes wasn't far off from making what Pruitt is making already IIRC. Barnes is the 2nd highest paid BB coach in the SEC
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 09:06:14 EDT »

I think you have to weigh it against what kind of revenue the basketball program has generated over the past couple of years. I don't have those numbers, but I do know that Barnes inherited a dumpster fire and built a national championship contender. Maybe he just captured magic with that rag-tag team that he built. Maybe he can't replicate that success without Schofield and Williams. But taking this team to No. 1 in the nation was a masterful coaching job that very few coaches could've pulled off and I think he deserves to be compensated accordingly -- if, in fact, that's what this is about (I don't really think it is).

I don't either, when you factor in cost of living out in Cali... What they are supposedly offering him isn't really much of a raise.

This whole thing is just so odd.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 11:50:13 EDT »

I don't either, when you factor in cost of living out in Cali... What they are supposedly offering him isn't really much of a raise.

This whole thing is just so odd.

It's all relative though.  The cost of living might be double in the LA area  (108% more, close to a double per this website:  https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/knoxville-tn/los-angeles-ca/3000000), but against a multi-million dollar contract that's noise if the coach has reasonable tastes in housing.  If Barnes is currently living in a 500K house in the Knoxville area (just a WAG) he doesn't have to get as big a house in LA.  His cost may double, even for a smaller house, but I don't think it's one to one.  Cost of living has a fixed upper limit.  I mean, food and gas and utilities, no matter how much they increase, will be a small proportion of a multi-million dollar contract.  The only gotcha is the house, but Barnes and wife could always settle for a smaller house.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 11:50:43 EDT »

Clay Travis tweeting that UCLA may have gotten two SEC basketball coaches lifetime contracts. 

Nah.  It's not a bad attempt at humor, but I can't see us going there.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 11:52:03 EDT »

Remember that Barnes was essentially paying money out of his own pocket to supplement his assistants' pay prior to the start of this season. I don't think it's a stretch to think that he's unhappy with the support for basketball...

Not much of a stretch, but hardly proven.  I doubt Barnes is complaining about his own salary, which is more than adequate even given his success IMO. 

But if he can leverage UCLA to get more for his assistants, I am all for it.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 12:39:42 EDT »

Coaches know when their team will be down and some get out when the getting is good.....It's harder to have to rebuild when you are in your 5th year like Barnes is because it's his team...it's his players and he shouldn't have to rebuild much if he's done a good job of recruiting.....He can go to UCLA and have a honeymoon period....his honeymoon was over at UT 2 years ago. Losing a lot of the team and he didn't get much at all out of his bench this season who will be the bulk of his team next season. If Barnes leaves no one can convince me that's not one big part of it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: