VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 03:34:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like Kellie Jolly-Harper is the new LVs coach?  (Read 4500 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2019, 03:44:53 EDT »

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2019/4/8/18299915/tennessee-lady-vols-hire-kellie-harper-womens-basketball-coach-search
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:57:49 EDT »

My initial reaction... Could've done worse.  Could've done better.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 04:01:12 EDT »

In a lot of ways, Harper is a feel-good hire. I fondly remember her UT playing days. It was at the height of Pat Summit's career and she was one of the most likable players on the team. Her family is from Sparta and is a wholesome Tennessee family. I was at TN Tech at the same time as when her younger brother Brent was playing for Jeff Lebo...I spent many nights at The Hoop watching him shoot the lights out.

But it seems disconcerting that the nation's most prominent women's program is about to hire someone who's only taste of major college coaching experience ended with her being fired by NC State. It just seems like, from what we know about who Fulmer interviewed, that this search was determined to hire a woman from within the family from the very beginning. The Lady Vols Old Guard got their wish, I guess, but it's a terrible way to conduct a coaching search. I hope she does very well. But if she doesn't it's going to be very hard to not be bitter at the way the OG has played a hand in dismantling the program that once defined the women's game.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 04:05:08 EDT »

Honestly, I was excited about Kara Lawson.  I know, she's unproven but I thought she had "it".  Jolly-Harper is safer.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 04:13:34 EDT »

UT wasn't going to hire the big dog coaches in the business. IMO. They have their own empires....own rabid fan bases.....and their own million dollar contracts. Maybe 10 years ago they could have hired those types but there are several programs out there right now that are what the LV program use to be.

I wish KJH the best of luck if in fact she is the hire and so far the reception hasn't been very positive on her hiring. Holly was fired with a .720 winning % and hiring a coach with a .578%.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 04:22:27 EDT »

UT wasn't going to hire the big dog coaches in the business. IMO. They have their own empires....own rabid fan bases.....and their own million dollar contracts. Maybe 10 years ago they could have hired those types but there are several programs out there right now that are what the LV program use to be.

I wish KJH the best of luck if in fact she is the hire and so far the reception hasn't been very positive on her hiring. Holly was fired with a .720 winning % and hiring a coach with a .578%.

That's an impressive winning percentage for Holly.  But we all know she was headed in the wrong direction.  She is the Bill Battle of the Lady Vols.  Battle started out 10-1 with a Sugar Bowl win, but it was all down hill from there.  Same with Holly.

As for hiring a big name, it seems we could have tried a bit harder.  Some ladies coaches make an amazing amount these days, and with us paying a lot for football and likely paying more for men's basketball, maybe the finances have tightened up a bit. I am still disappointed not to make more of an attempt to get an outsider with a proven record though.

It's not official.  If it is Kellie, I will welcome her and give her a chance.  She did do well in two of three coaching jobs, and with this being her fourth job, that's a ton of coaching experience.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 04:28:39 EDT »

Kellie received the Coach Yow Award today...Congrats to that for her and her Missouri State team finished in the final Top 25.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 12:37:22 EDT »

Hopefully this works. It seems ill-advised, but may be an improvement.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 08:09:59 EDT »

What are they basing the hire on for Harper?...her being a VFL or that she has  proven she can coach. I don't see where she has proven she can coach. Her record at NC State was 70-64 and fired after four seasons. What has changed to indicate she can coach. Made the NCAA tourney by winning her conference tourney by beating Drake.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 08:55:20 EDT »

Took a team of low rated players at Mo State to the Sweet 16 and upset 2 ranked teams to get there....I'd say she'd have just a bit more resources at UT than she had at Mo State and even NC State. Some folks thinks just because of the LVs past coaches will walk on their knees to come to UT. They are successful where they are and paid very well to boot. Why would they leave? Hiring anyone is a crap shoot...The women's coach that took Duke to the top of the mountain left and then bombed out at Texas. It's a risk with anyone you hire.

CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 11:57:39 EDT »

She’s the one I always hoped would get the job.  Hope it works out.  Everyone needs to be patient.

Wherever you go, there you are.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 02:27:25 EDT »

What are they basing the hire on for Harper?...her being a VFL or that she has  proven she can coach. I don't see where she has proven she can coach. Her record at NC State was 70-64 and fired after four seasons. What has changed to indicate she can coach. Made the NCAA tourney by winning her conference tourney by beating Drake.

Who knows what Kelly can do at Tenn. We do know the supposed best coach available and one many wanted is 1 and 13 against Geno.
We don't know if Kelly can beat Geno. We know Waltz can't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: