VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 08:05:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basevols won big today  (Read 3120 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:20:17 EDT »

Beat Florida 8-7 in Gainsville to preserve a shot at the NCAA tourney.  The announcers said that Vols have not been to the tourney since 2005.  I knew that Tennessee baseball had been struggling, but had no idea it had been that long.

Here's hoping they continue to close the season strong and make the tourney.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:01:49 EDT »

This coach seems like a good get 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:27:33 EDT »

Believe that win yesterday got them to Hoover. Some are saying they need a win or 2 in the SECT to get to the NCAA's?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 10:21:08 EDT »

Won today 5-4.....took the series 2 games to 1. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 11:21:29 EDT »

Believe that win yesterday got them to Hoover. Some are saying they need a win or 2 in the SECT to get to the NCAA's?

The announcers have been talking like 12 wins in the SEC is enough to get to the NCAA, but sure don't know.

They have a series with Ole Miss at home left to play out. On paper it's close...Ole Miss is 14th and Tennessee 24th in the country, but Ole Miss just got swept by MSU at home and Vols went 2-1 against gators, so the ranking will be closer when the polls come out.   Having Ole Miss at home has to be an advantage but supposedly Ole Miss is a good road team.  Hopefully the Vols can win the series or even sweep.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 12:28:32 EDT »

This was a huge series win. I'm excited about baseball for the first time in years.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 04:28:44 EDT »

The announcers have been talking like 12 wins in the SEC is enough to get to the NCAA, but sure don't know.

They have a series with Ole Miss at home left to play out. On paper it's close...Ole Miss is 14th and Tennessee 24th in the country, but Ole Miss just got swept by MSU at home and Vols went 2-1 against gators, so the ranking will be closer when the polls come out.   Having Ole Miss at home has to be an advantage but supposedly Ole Miss is a good road team.  Hopefully the Vols can win the series or even sweep.

JMO but I don't think 12 will get us in with a series to go....Need to get at least 1 vs Ole Miss. Get swept by OM and it will be a dagger to end the season.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 04:37:00 EDT »

JMO but I don't think 12 will get us in with a series to go....Need to get at least 1 vs Ole Miss. Get swept by OM and it will be a dagger to end the season.

These boys are on the right track. Quite a turnaround. I'll take whatever they give me   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:02:46 EDT »

In theory, they could return just about everyone next year. Of course, that usually doesn't mean much in baseball. But Vitello seems to have the program on the right track.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 05:38:50 EDT »

Not sure anyone predicted the season the BaseVols have had. Without looking it up UT is 1 of only 5 SEC teams to have at least 35 or plus wins.

UT
Vandy
UGA
Miss State
Ark
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:41:41 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 03:37:22 EDT »

BaseVols beat OM today 7-0
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 04:49:22 EDT »

Woo!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 07:37:19 EDT »

Tonight on the SEC network they said Tennessee was in the NCAA tourney. I'll believe it when I see it, they are paid to promote the SEC, but I think the chances are good.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 07:09:45 EDT »

won the second game in the Ole Miss series last night, but currently trailing 4-0 in the fourth.  Likely in the NCAA already though.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 09:46:31 EDT »

Ole Miss was able to hang on for a 5-4 win to avoid the sweep. Nice series to close out the regular season.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 03:58:23 EDT »

Tennessee punched their NCAA ticket on Friday.  Saturday's loss hurt.  If they had won yesterday and then won at least 1 in Hoover, they likely would have been a 2 seed in a regional.  As it is now, they are likely a 3, but could play themselves back to a 2 with a good showing at Hoover.  The 40 win plateau seems to be the line to get to in order to be a 2.  

But in any event, Coach Meat Stick has done a great job taking a train wreck and putting it back on the tracks.  The 2019 recruiting class is solid, and most of those guys should make it to campus.  2020 is a great class at this point, but several of those guys have a chance to be drafted rather highly.  Have to sweat that one out and see who gets here.  

But unlike Serrano, Coach Meat Stick seems to have a backup plan for "just in case" scenarios, which Serrano never seemed to have.  

And the good thing about baseball recruiting over football and basketball is that the baseball coaches have an unwritten agreement that once a kid is committed he's off limits to other recruiters unless he announces that he's opened his recruitment back up.  And with baseball players committing as early as their freshman years of high school these days, that's just huge.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:00:23 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: