VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 12:37:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple gonna Apple....  (Read 4590 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2019, 08:25:56 EDT »

Their new monitor is a cool 5 grand. $1000 stand sold separately.

That's $1000. That's a stand.

https://www.cnet.com/news/1000-apple-mac-pro-display-stand-sparks-angst-the-ultimate-middle-finger/?ftag=COS-05-10-aaa0a&linkId=68557463

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:06:17 EDT »

Their new monitor is a cool 5 grand. $1000 stand sold separately.

That's $1000. That's a stand.

https://www.cnet.com/news/1000-apple-mac-pro-display-stand-sparks-angst-the-ultimate-middle-finger/?ftag=COS-05-10-aaa0a&linkId=68557463
But, but, it tilts & swivels!!
The monitor looks nice

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 02:50:56 EDT »

But, but, it tilts & swivels!!
The monitor looks nice

Here's a fun exercise: when that new Mac Pro goes live, go to their website and do a max build on one. Those suckers have gone over $20k in the past. I'll this one's close to 30.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:54:14 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:12:23 EDT »

Here's a fun exercise: when that new Mac Pro goes live, go to their website and do a max build on one. Those suckers have gone over $20k in the past. I'll this one's close to 30.
I built one out for me (minus a display) and it a bit under $7K - could easily get it closer to $10K

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 04:46:54 EDT »

dumb IMO. You can build an multi M.2 machine that would scream for $4k. Apple must have lost their collective minds, but then again, someone will pay their ridiculous prices

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:03:46 EDT »

dumb IMO. You can build an multi M.2 machine that would scream for $4k. Apple must have lost their collective minds, but then again, someone will pay their ridiculous prices

To be fair, I've never known an individual who owned a Mac Pro (I have seen them in use at a few businesses, however). An iMac or MacBook Pro is plenty powerful enough for 99.9% of us.

I'm a big fan of Mac OS and their creativity software. It's a shame we have to pay a premium on the hardware to get it.

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 06:28:35 EDT »

To be fair, I've never known an individual who owned a Mac Pro (I have seen them in use at a few businesses, however). An iMac or MacBook Pro is plenty powerful enough for 99.9% of us.

I'm a big fan of Mac OS and their creativity software. It's a shame we have to pay a premium on the hardware to get it.

I used to outfit our office with Mac Pros. It was overkill. Now we use iMacs for the most part. I use a MacBook Pro. And I agree: Very few people would ever need a Mac Pro. The MacBook Air starts to get pretty skimpy on power but a suitably-equipped MacBook Pro is awesome.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 08:11:23 EDT »

Mac fanboys are keeping them in business.

I have a friend who developed his liking for Apple in the 80s, when they were in fact agile and innovative (recall the brilliant 1984 commercial).  But IMO those days are long past.  2019 Apple = 1985 IBM.   

Their products are still good, they do have some nice stuff but IMO there is an "Apple Premium" built into the price that is no longer viable IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 12:43:06 EDT »

Danm..I guess it time to upgrade my Commodore

volsboyinsodak
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 01:45:13 EDT »

Mac fanboys are keeping them in business.

I have a friend who developed his liking for Apple in the 80s, when they were in fact agile and innovative (recall the brilliant 1984 commercial).  But IMO those days are long past.  2019 Apple = 1985 IBM.   

Their products are still good, they do have some nice stuff but IMO there is an "Apple Prem noium" built into the price that is no longer viable IMO.

Mac has so GREAT hardware. It's robust and rarely breaks. The price tag doesn't match it however. While their equipment last a long, long time, you can buy 3 PC's for the same cost that will outlast 1 Mac, but you can update those 3 PC's along the way.

Tech changes monthly, so don't lock yourself into a Mac.

11B4PJ3F7
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 01:54:12 EDT »

Mac has so GREAT hardware. It's robust and rarely breaks. The price tag doesn't match it however. While their equipment last a long, long time, you can buy 3 PC's for the same cost that will outlast 1 Mac, but you can update those 3 PC's along the way.

Tech changes monthly, so don't lock yourself into a Mac.

My Mac is worth every penny. I might drop a couple of thousand on a MacBook Pro so yes, technically, I can get 3 PCs for the same price. But those are going to be entry-level PCs that offer far less than the MacBook offers. By the time I've added on to the PC to make it comparable to the Mac, we're looking at two similarly priced machines. The difference is that in 3-4 years, when I'm ready to upgrade, I can turn around and sell my MacBook for $500-$600 while the PC is going to be virtually worthless.

If I were a dedicated gamer or techie...then, yes, I'd probably go with a PC. I'm not. As long as I can update my OS and add more RAM if needed, all I need is a computer that will do what I need it to, reliably, without failing, and an OS that is designed around simplicity and functionality. The Mac wins, hands down.

I tell people all the time who are looking for an entry-level laptop, and don't need it for anything other than MS Office and basic tasks...go with a MacBook Air. You'll pay twice as much as you will for an entry-level PC, but it'll last twice as long, it'll be a lot easier to use and more stable during that time, and at the end of that time it'll still be worth nearly as much as what you paid for the PC out of the box.

There's a lot I don't like about Apple, the company. But for people like me who just want a computer that's reliable and does what they ask of it, and who don't give a damn about tinkering with the OS, Apple is a game changer.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:56:51 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 04:40:44 EDT »

My Mac is worth every penny. I might drop a couple of thousand on a MacBook Pro so yes, technically, I can get 3 PCs for the same price. But those are going to be entry-level PCs that offer far less than the MacBook offers. By the time I've added on to the PC to make it comparable to the Mac, we're looking at two similarly priced machines. The difference is that in 3-4 years, when I'm ready to upgrade, I can turn around and sell my MacBook for $500-$600 while the PC is going to be virtually worthless.

If I were a dedicated gamer or techie...then, yes, I'd probably go with a PC. I'm not. As long as I can update my OS and add more RAM if needed, all I need is a computer that will do what I need it to, reliably, without failing, and an OS that is designed around simplicity and functionality. The Mac wins, hands down.

I tell people all the time who are looking for an entry-level laptop, and don't need it for anything other than MS Office and basic tasks...go with a MacBook Air. You'll pay twice as much as you will for an entry-level PC, but it'll last twice as long, it'll be a lot easier to use and more stable during that time, and at the end of that time it'll still be worth nearly as much as what you paid for the PC out of the box.

There's a lot I don't like about Apple, the company. But for people like me who just want a computer that's reliable and does what they ask of it, and who don't give a damn about tinkering with the OS, Apple is a game changer.

I'm confused, what specifically would have to be added to a PC to make it comparable to a Mac?  Because the PC is far more popular, hardware is plentiful, cheap and more importantly easily interchangeable that Mac by a country mile. Also, OSx & Windows have grown so closely in features that it's hard to separate the two, yet the amount of off-the-shelf software tips heavily in PC's favor.

In short, if you want to watch movies or listen to music, get a Mac, but get a PC if you want to get work done

11B4PJ3F7
Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 06:14:15 EDT »

...but get a PC if you want to get work done

The need to get work done without relying on an inferior OS or inferior hardware is precisely why I switched to Apple and would never go back.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 06:35:46 EDT »

The need to get work done without relying on an inferior OS or inferior hardware is precisely why I switched to Apple and would never go back.

10% of the world agrees with you

11B4PJ3F7
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 06:59:29 EDT »

10% of the world agrees with you

Good thing this isn't a popularity contest.

And to back up to a previous comment: Those cheap PCs are coming out of the box with a weaker processor, slower graphics card, less battery life, etc. Once you upgrade the Dell to ensure you're getting the same hardware as the MacBook, their prices are similar. That's not confusing at all. It's a simple comparison.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:16:09 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 07:17:11 EDT »

Seriously considering getting an imac 27" when I get back to the states
Spent last Sunday playing with one in an approved Apple dealer (took <15 secs to remember how to navigate around the OS) and was impressed
Will keep my Windows gaming machine but would move the household over to the imac
BTW, tricked out the imac would cost about the same as my 3 year old gaming machine (which didn't include a monitor)

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 07:55:28 EDT »

And to back up to a previous comment: Those cheap PCs are coming out of the box with a weaker processor, slower graphics card, less battery life, etc. Once you upgrade the Dell to ensure you're getting the same hardware as the MacBook, their prices are similar. That's not confusing at all. It's a simple comparison.

Dell is PC's version of Apple. Not bad in performance, but very over priced, and now I'm beginning to understand your position

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 08:04:08 EDT »

This isn't entirely true. A base Macbook Air is $1199 (I'm not including the previous gen version, which they're still selling for some reason). That gets you a middling i5 chip, only 8G of RAM (which is pretty much the bare minimum these days), no discreet graphics card. The SSD is a nice feature, though it's only 128G. The slim build, battery life, and display are top-notch for this level. Still, you can spec out a similarly equipped PC for $300-400 less.

I like Macs. I have two. But there's no denying that you pay a premium for them.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 08:23:44 EDT »

I like Macs. I have two. But there's no denying that you pay a premium for them.

My beef isn't too much with the computers, it has more to do with them locking me out from parts to build or upgrade without taking it to them. I built a triple M.2 PC with twin GTX graphics cards for $3400. It would crush anything that Apple can put together, even their $xx,xxx machines, yet I'm sure they'll sell Mac's by the handful

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 08:11:17 EST »

Bringing this 6 month old thread back to the top. I said then that a full max build on the new Mac Pro could cost 30K. I was wrong. It's actually over 53K.

Creek Walker
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 02:31:49 EST »

Bringing this 6 month old thread back to the top. I said then that a full max build on the new Mac Pro could cost 30K. I was wrong. It's actually over 53K.

Only if you include the $800 wheels. 😂

Have you upgraded to Catalina? Have any problems? I upgraded all of mine and it was the worst mistake I have ever made. For the first time ever, I'm wishing I was back on Windows machines.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 04:47:50 EST »

My flip phone and Dell PC are laughing at all of this. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 07:48:36 EST »

Only if you include the $800 wheels. 😂

Have you upgraded to Catalina? Have any problems? I upgraded all of mine and it was the worst mistake I have ever made. For the first time ever, I'm wishing I was back on Windows machines.

No, I heard the same from others and decided to hold off. I'll wait to see if it gets fixed in future updates.

BTW, I just noticed that that 53K pricetag doesn't include the previously mentioned monitor (and $1000 stand). And for a rig like this, you're probably going to want AT LEAST two. So add another 12K, rounding up the price to a cool 65 grand.

By comparison, a brand new 2020 Corvette Stingray retails for $55,900.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: