VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 03:28:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey BDV...........  (Read 4712 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2019, 03:08:01 EDT »

What do you think the Braves are going to do when Inciarte comes back? He just was assigned to Mississippi for rehab.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 04:55:00 EDT »

My guess is they'd like to assign him to AAA as an insurance policy in case Acuna gets hurt. Other than Pache/Waters, there's no one else in the org capable of playing a ML level CF, and they probably don't want to start those guys' arbitration clocks until next year at the earliest. But as a veteran he can turn that down. In that case they'd probably see what they can get for him in trade (probably not much). As a last resort, he'll be DFA'd.

Bottom line, he's probably finished in Atlanta barring a catastrophic injury. Too bad, because he was one of my favorites- but there's just no place left for him on the 25 man roster. You can't take Riley or Markakis out of the lineup right now.

Another interesting roster question is what they're going to do with Donaldson in the offseason. My guess is they'll make him a qualifying offer. If he accepts, great. If not, Riley moves to 3rd and Pache/Waters are ready to step in in the OF. Plus, they'd get draft compensation- but only if they make the QO. If they just let him walk, they get nothing. I would think they'd make the QO in hopes that he turns it down.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:10:00 EDT »

I like Donaldson, but I would just as soon use money that would be spent on him to do a deal with Riley like they did with Acuna and Albies and keep him in Atlanta for a while.  His future is clearly at third base, and not in the outfield. 

Both Pache and Waters are having really good years at Mississippi.  The Braves have brought a lot of guys straight from AA to the big leagues over the years.  Wouldn't surprise me to see both of them in the big leagues by mid season 2020. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 09:04:11 EDT »

I like Donaldson, but I would just as soon use money that would be spent on him to do a deal with Riley like they did with Acuna and Albies and keep him in Atlanta for a while.  His future is clearly at third base, and not in the outfield. 

Both Pache and Waters are having really good years at Mississippi.  The Braves have brought a lot of guys straight from AA to the big leagues over the years.  Wouldn't surprise me to see both of them in the big leagues by mid season 2020. 

Yep. Locking up Riley, Soroka, and maybe even Swanson needs to be a priority.

With Pache and Waters coming up, it's easy to envision an entirely homegrown starting 9 in the near future (Swanson broke into the majors in ATL so I'm counting him even though he doesn't "technically" qualify as homegrown). I wonder when is the last time that happened with ANY team?

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 12:40:37 EDT »

Then there's this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/atlantic-league-to-experiment-with-batters-“stealing-first-base”/ar-AAE8q0F?li=BBnb7Kz
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 01:39:31 EDT »

That's just stupid. 

About as stupid as starting minor league extra innings with a runner on second base.  It's become girl's high school softball. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 02:46:08 EDT »

I'm all for outlawing defensive shifts, though. That's ruined the game.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 06:40:46 EDT »

I agree. But that is why all batters should be able to or learn to "hit them where they ain't".  I just don't see them being able to outlaw it.  You shouldn't have to play every batter straight away.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 07:13:51 EDT »

I have no problem with the shift. If some of these left-handed batters would put down a hard bunt on the left side they would get a double.

But it probably doesn't matter anyway. Everyone is either striking out or hitting home runs. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 04:52:45 EDT »

Huh.  That's just good strategy by the defense and all within the rules.  The batters just have to adjust.

OTOH, the league has likely juiced the ball again, or allowed it to be juiced. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/is-justin-verlander-right-about-mlbs-juiced-balls-or-just-reluctant-to-admit-baseball-has-changed/

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 07:52:50 EDT »

Huh.  That's just good strategy by the defense and all within the rules.  The batters just have to adjust.

OTOH, the league has likely juiced the ball again, or allowed it to be juiced. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/is-justin-verlander-right-about-mlbs-juiced-balls-or-just-reluctant-to-admit-baseball-has-changed/

It is within the rules (that needs to change). And batters HAVE adjusted by trying to hit the ball harder and over the shift. This has resulted in more homers, but also more strikeouts. Which has made the game much more boring.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 07:58:26 EDT »

I have no problem with the shift. If some of these left-handed batters would put down a hard bunt on the left side they would get a double.

But it probably doesn't matter anyway. Everyone is either striking out or hitting home runs. 
In most cases, that's not the batter's call. Most teams now have sabermetrics guys in the front office making these decisions. And the metrics apparently tell them to swing for the fences rather than take a free base.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 08:45:08 EDT »

Just learn to use the entire field an the shift doesn't make a tinker's damn. 

Don't mess with the game.  It's fine the way it is. 

Except for the DH.  Kill the DH. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 08:56:01 EDT »

Just learn to use the entire field an the shift doesn't make a tinker's damn. 

Don't mess with the game.  It's fine the way it is. 

Except for the DH.  Kill the DH. 

If the batters were allowed to, don't you think they would've by now? Freddie Freeman gets shifted by everyone. If he always tried to poke it down the 3b line, he'd hit about .500, but his run production would drop. The metrics guys upstairs think he's better off pulling it to RF in most situations, so that's what he does. Ending the shift would take these decisions out of the hands of the pinheads in the front office, and give them back to the guys on the field where they belong.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 10:00:28 EDT »

If the batters were allowed to, don't you think they would've by now? Freddie Freeman gets shifted by everyone. If he always tried to poke it down the 3b line, he'd hit about .500, but his run production would drop. The metrics guys upstairs think he's better off pulling it to RF in most situations, so that's what he does. Ending the shift would take these decisions out of the hands of the pinheads in the front office, and give them back to the guys on the field where they belong.

But Freddy does go the other way, often.  

Yes.  Use the entire field.  If it means giving up some power numbers in the short run it will pay off in the long run.  There's nothing wrong with a double down the oppo line every now and then.  

The rules say that the defensive fielders, except for the catcher, have to be in fair territory. There is no way the rules can be altered establishing "zones" for specific positions.  That's just an insane idea.  Scouting and defensive positioning is part of the strategy of the game. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:02:14 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: