VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 06:53:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UT vs. LSU in 2001 SECCG is on SEC network right now...  (Read 2108 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2019, 01:44:57 EDT »

I watched a few minutes but couldn't stomach watching a lot.

I still can't believe UT lost that game.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 02:34:37 EDT »

That game is ground zero. Where the downward spiral began.

fizzle that game.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:34:06 EDT »

Yeah, I was getting a haircut at Sports Clips, was thrilled to see they had a classic Vol game on, till I recognized it.   

So much wrong with that game.  Having to watch Saban say he didn't expect to win at all is one of the worst parts.

I did catch part of it while waiting for my haircut. I had forgotten that LSU went for it on 4th and short from their own 23 late in the second quarter trailing 14-7, and failed.  Saban called that the worst decision he has ever made in a game. 

Of course, Clausen bailed them out on the very next play by throwing short of the line and getting an intentional grounding call, and we had to settle for a FG.  I loved Clausen, but he was prone to occasional stupid plays, to be sure.

But ugh, yeah.  That game started the slide. 

Maybe things will finally turn around the next year or two.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 05:50:05 EDT »

Consider this: They were only down 14-7, but given how the game was going, Saban decided he had to go for it on 4th and 1 at his own 23 late in the second quarter. It was a huge go-for-broke gamble. Tennessee's defense held.

In that moment, it seemed inevitable. Rose Bowl-bound. Then came the disastrous sequence that followed, UT had to settle for a field goal, and freakin' Matt Mauck leads LSU back to win.

Given the way the second half went, maybe LSU wins even if Tennessee scored a touchdown there. Or, maybe going up 21-7 would've broken their will. Either way, the celebration of that 4th down stop -- when it seemed like UT had just won the game in the second quarter and locked up a spot in the national championship game -- was the last celebration that really mattered for Tennessee football, at least where national relevance is concerned. And that was 17 years ago. Damn, that's depressing.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 06:30:31 EDT »

I was at Tom Black after UF, and in the GA Dome for LSU. Emotions changed a lot in that short amount of time.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 09:00:29 EDT »

Consider this: They were only down 14-7, but given how the game was going, Saban decided he had to go for it on 4th and 1 at his own 23 late in the second quarter. It was a huge go-for-broke gamble. Tennessee's defense held.

In that moment, it seemed inevitable. Rose Bowl-bound. Then came the disastrous sequence that followed, UT had to settle for a field goal, and freakin' Matt Mauck leads LSU back to win.

Given the way the second half went, maybe LSU wins even if Tennessee scored a touchdown there. Or, maybe going up 21-7 would've broken their will. Either way, the celebration of that 4th down stop -- when it seemed like UT had just won the game in the second quarter and locked up a spot in the national championship game -- was the last celebration that really mattered for Tennessee football, at least where national relevance is concerned. And that was 17 years ago. Damn, that's depressing.
I told the wife at halftime we were going to lose. 
Tennessee was better than L$U in all areas but mental.  We left our mental game the week before in the swamp.
Though I was 'tween jobs at that moment and was wondering how I was going to work out reporting late to my new job if we survived and made it to the Rose Bowl
BTW, the corn dog fans were their normal obnoxious #badword#s before, during and after the game
Interesting that the week before TRO, 'Lama, Crockett, Bandit (the wrestler fan I can't remember his name) and I spent the day with FL fans and enjoyed the entire afternoon (though the croc band wouldn't play Rocky Top for us at the tailgate)
A tale of two fan bases

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 07:09:55 EDT »

Still not over that game.  My Dad was there with my bro in law, and I had to stay behind to take an Economics final at UT...  what a bad night.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 10:31:56 EDT »

Told my buddies I was with that loss would be the downfall of UT football as we had known it for several years till that point...Put out the starting QB and the starting RB and we couldn't stop the QB draw.... Chavis!!!

Pirate is right...we were checked out. I knew when they arrived back on UT campus after the FL win and they got off the bus with roses between their teeth it wasn't a good look and Fulmer had zero business letting them do it...It just added fuel to the fire for LSU who we had already beaten during the regular season. We have never recovered from that loss.

Till this day I've never watched a replay of that game....and won't.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 06:15:18 EDT »

I told the wife at halftime we were going to lose.  
Tennessee was better than L$U in all areas but mental.  We left our mental game the week before in the swamp.
Though I was 'tween jobs at that moment and was wondering how I was going to work out reporting late to my new job if we survived and made it to the Rose Bowl
BTW, the corn dog fans were their normal obnoxious #badword#s before, during and after the game
Interesting that the week before TRO, 'Lama, Crockett, Bandit (the wrestler fan I can't remember his name) and I spent the day with FL fans and enjoyed the entire afternoon (though the croc band wouldn't play Rocky Top for us at the tailgate)
A tale of two fan bases

Yeah, I was at both games also.  The Florida game is one of my favorites, probably third after Florida 98 and bammer 95, LSU game one of my least favorites, needless to say.

My sister lives in Atlanta and my bro-in-law and I made plans to go and scalp.  At the last minute my sister decided she wanted to go, and three tickets together are hard to scalp.  So they sat together and I got to sit by myself surrounded mostly by LSU fans.  LOL, that was miserable.

I will say though that none of the LSU fans sitting near me were uncool, but some of them did show their (coon) asses outside the stadium after the game.

We definitely should have won that one.  Still haven't gotten back to that level, but I do think Pruitt is head and shoulders above anyone else since Fulmer.  Problem is, for one thing that's a pretty low standard, lol,and for another I wonder if the job is too big for even a good coach....but I truly believe that while he may not get us back to the 2001 level, Pruitt will get us farther than Butch.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:16:01 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 09:37:37 EDT »

The 2001 SECCG was absolutely the most frustrating game of my Vol life!!!    When we put Davies and Toefield out early I knew it was over and then we "got smart" and played non-aggressive on D and allowed a freshkman QB to beat us.....absolutely the worst coached game I can remember.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: