VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 04:17:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tennessee Football Records History  (Read 2090 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2019, 02:47:00 EDT »

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/tennessee/index.html
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:32:36 EDT »

What's this data saying Phil?

11B4PJ3F7
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:55:14 EDT »

I must be getting old. What happened in 2005 that we went 5-6 under Fulmer? I don't even remember that season happening. We were 10-3 the year before and 9-4 the year after.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 03:20:39 EDT »

I must be getting old. What happened in 2005 that we went 5-6 under Fulmer? I don't even remember that season happening. We were 10-3 the year before and 9-4 the year after.

Great defense, bad offense, horrific special teams.

If the ST was merely average that year, we easily win 8 games.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 03:41:25 EDT »

Great defense, bad offense, horrific special teams.

If the ST was merely average that year, we easily win 8 games.

That was the year of the Clawfence, right?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 03:44:18 EDT »

That was the year of the Clawfence, right?

No, that was 08. 05 was Sanders' last year.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 07:40:53 EDT »

Yep. .   The slow rot finally caught up with him.   I was in the forefront of those wanting Sanders out.  Not only did the team do a slow decline offensively under his watch, but they often looked sloppy and unprepared.  And he had a habit of not calling the play until the last possible second that didn't help either.  So many illegal procedure, offsides, and delay of game penalties.

But looking back over the last 12 years, I'd take Sanders over what at times was an absolute shizzle storm.  Which is pretty sad. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 10:29:04 EDT »

Yep. .   The slow rot finally caught up with him.   I was in the forefront of those wanting Sanders out.  Not only did the team do a slow decline offensively under his watch, but they often looked sloppy and unprepared.  And he had a habit of not calling the play until the last possible second that didn't help either.  So many illegal procedure, offsides, and delay of game penalties.

But looking back over the last 12 years, I'd take Sanders over what at times was an absolute shizzle storm.  Which is pretty sad. 

The offense got a bad rap that year, and rightfully so. But the special teams were good for at least one turnover, one missed chip shot FG, and 150 yards in lost field position a game. Often more than that. They were atrocious.

Sad, because that was a championship level defense. Even with the O as bad as they were, the defense was good enough to win games by themselves if they weren’t being constantly undermined by the kicking game.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 12:37:45 EDT »

Lol. Man 05 really was the forgotten year.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 12:10:02 EDT »

The offense got a bad rap that year, and rightfully so. But the special teams were good for at least one turnover, one missed chip shot FG, and 150 yards in lost field position a game. Often more than that. They were atrocious.

Sad, because that was a championship level defense. Even with the O as bad as they were, the defense was good enough to win games by themselves if they weren’t being constantly undermined by the kicking game.

Yes. It was frustrating to watch great defensive performances only to see the offense do just enough to....lose the game by a small margin.  There are parallels to 2008.  Not sure which offense was worse, but the 2008 defense, while not as good as the 2005, was actually not that bad aside from a couple of games.  And yeah, special teams were bad that year also.  Fulmer trying 4 50+ yard FGs vs UCLA (and missing every single one!) comes to mind.   

I'll say this though...as bad as 2005 and 2008 were, at the time they were still considered anomalies.  Those types of seasons are now unfortunately pretty common, and if Pruitt doesn't turn this thing around may well become the norm.   

Having said that, I have faith that he can at least avoid losing seasons, starting with this one.  If he never, like Jones gets beyond 8 regular season wins, he will be out at some point, but even then I believe Pruitt will get to 10 wins at least once.  Perhaps that will involve an SECC game or not, and perhaps it will be enough to keep him around or not, but I do believe it will happen, possibly even next year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: