VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 01:40:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What have you seen that makes you think we will beat UF? I have looked at  (Read 3912 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2019, 09:06:36 EDT »

a lot of fan sites and a lot of folks predict a win over UF this year. God, I hope so. But some preseason publications have them as a Top 10 team. AP poll has them at 8. I just don't see how that translates to a victory for the Vols. History has shown we can't beat them even when we have the better team. Do we beat UF?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:39:03 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:36:01 EDT »

IIRC they have a young OL and QB, D is still very good supposedly. IMO it depends on, once again, our OL play (mainly they have to be able to establish a run consistent game) and how effective our DL and LBs starters are and how competent are the depth providers. We have very good skill players on O and in the DB but the rest is to be determined.           
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 01:29:13 EDT »

One of these days it has to turn....I hope I've not seen or heard many UT fans say we will beat FL....Today we are a 16.5 underdog based on the Vegas early line.

We are 5 of the last 21 games against FL and 1-25 against our 2 biggest rivals in FL and Bama. That should never happen..ever. Hopefully Pruitt will turn these numbers around some.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:57:37 EDT »

IIRC they have a young OL and QB, D is still very good supposedly. IMO it depends on, once again, our OL play (mainly they have to be able to establish a run consistent game) and how effective our DL and LBs starters are and how competent are the depth providers. We have very good skill players on O and in the DB but the rest is to be determined.            

@volsboy....I think we have a shot, but expect to lose

Reasons we could win....last year's game was distorted by the 6, yes SIX, turnovers we had.  Even that up or even put us on the plus side in turnover ratio, we do a lot better.  Then there is the issue of the OL.  VOLMAN I wouldn't call Felipe young.  He started some in 2017 and was the starter all last year.  However, I do agree that he sucks, even though he has improved under Mullen (a master at turning QB garbage into something workable).  

Their OL is definitely a weak point for them this year.  Mullen has publically stated they are doing great in practice and he's not concerned, but I think that's whistling past the graveyard cooachspeak bullshizzle.

So my hope is, their soft OL exposes Felipe, who tends to make really bad decisions under pressue, they turn the ball over a few times and we pull a huge upset. I am certinaly not predicting that though, just saying we might have a chance, emphasis on the word might.

I might be a bit more optimistic, but our potential weakness on DL might cancel any advantage from their young OL.  On the other hand, I am looking forward to what I think will be a huge improvement on offense this year from Chaney, new OL talent, better S&C and another year under the belt for Gurantano.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:22:16 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 04:44:02 EDT »

All I know is... GO CANES!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 05:55:56 EDT »

we won't beat UF

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 06:26:02 EDT »

we won't beat UF

I disagree

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 07:47:49 EDT »

I disagree

Been in those English Pubs again I see?
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 05:10:53 EDT »

Unless I see Casey Clausen trot out with absolutely 0% chance of even a stray raindrop, I don‘t believe.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 05:29:33 EDT »

Been in those English Pubs again I see?
I wouldn't be traveling 5K miles to watch the game if I didn't think we will WIN!

The little side trip to Knoxvegas to close on a house doesn't count

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 05:30:50 EDT »

Unless I see Casey Clausen trot out with absolutely 0% chance of even a stray raindrop, I don‘t believe.
There is one key player from out last win against the crocs who will trot onto the field on the 21st and I'll take the alpha dog to win

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 08:02:14 EDT »

Florida seems to have a great pass rush unit. With that said,hopefully our O-line will be better than last year and just run the ball right at them and try to establish a running game first.
Hopefully Chaney will come up with a game plan to use Florida's speed against them in passing situations.
Screens and reverse plays,shovel passes and qb roll outs to move the pocket and quick release passes to the backs in the flat.
If Chaney tries to keep JG in the pocket all day,he might not make it through the game.. Go Vols!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:05:58 EDT by crockettman » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 01:45:02 EDT »

Florida seems to have a great pass rush unit. With that said,hopefully our O-line will be better than last year and just run the ball right at them and try to establish a running game first.
Hopefully Chaney will come up with a game plan to use Florida's speed against them in passing situations.
Screens and reverse plays,shovel passes and qb roll outs to move the pocket and quick release passes to the backs in the flat.
If Chaney tries to keep JG in the pocket all day,he might not make it through the game.. Go Vols!!

This very much concerns me.  The Florida DL camped out in the Miami backfield, and their QB did his best to emulate JG holding on to the ball so tight that all the air squeezes out.  However, reading up on Miami they replaced as many OL as us from last year (one of whom was former Vol V Boulware), with four starters or part time starters gone and two starters back, but one only a part time starter. 

So (maybe grasping at straws) at least our OL is on paper more talented than Miami's and will have three games, one against a credible BYU team, to prepare.  And yes, hopefully Chaney will do wonders for JG and the overall offense, so not all is lost.  Still, that was ugly last night.  8 sacks.   

Then again, Miami QB complete rook, so there I think we have a solid advantage, even given JG's tendency to super glue the ball to his hand.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 09:43:01 EDT »

I disagree

Problem will be on the OL - not going to handle their D

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 09:45:31 EDT »

There is one key player from out last win against the crocs who will trot onto the field on the 21st and I'll take the alpha dog to win

That's Jennings... but he isn't on the OL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 09:56:19 EDT »

That's Jennings... but he isn't on the OL

I know that but do you remember the performance of the O-line THAT year?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 12:01:00 EDT »

I reckon we should probably cancel the trip to Gainesville and offer Florida a buyout.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 11:02:26 EDT »

after the Miami game was so sloppy.....I feel we have a better chance. However it's the Gators. They will play well against us of course.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 06:23:57 EDT »

after the Miami game was so sloppy.....I feel we have a better chance. However it's the Gators. They will play well against us of course.

Maybe, maybe not. It has to break our way at some point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: