VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 01:20:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC and ESPN networks may be dropped from AT&T/Direct TV this weekend  (Read 3051 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:25 EDT »

As if my interest in CFB could get any lower.

https://247sports.com/Article/SEC-Network-college-football-Week-3-games-DirecTV-ATT-U-Verse-TVNow-Saturday-135537367/

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:21:08 EDT »

Just want to point out that it’s been nearly four hours since I posted that, and this is the first response in the thread. If I had posted the same thing a few years ago, this thread would be 4 pages long by now. Which is a pretty strong indicator as to where this fanbase is right now.

“I may not get to see the Vols on TV for the foreseeable future? Oh well.”.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:01:48 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:51:27 EDT »

There's been threads about this on every UT board that I go to today.....Glad I've got cable right now....Back in the Winter I lost several channels for about 6-8 days due to a dispute between some networks and Charter cable.

With so many people cutting the cord with cable and satellite companies probably going to see more of this...I did learn something reading all those threads today....A lot of people are going to or already have gone to YouTube TV.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:56:32 EDT »

YTTV in my house for about a year now. I would never go back to Directv.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 04:48:05 EDT »

Seems kinda suspect that the specific deadline is “soon”.  Sounds like Disney wants to gen up a crowd of torches and pitchforks

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:17:10 EDT »

Seems kinda suspect that the specific deadline is “soon”.  Sounds like Disney wants to gen up a crowd of torches and pitchforks

Here’s what I know. In the past 4 months I’ve lost:

CBS for a month due to a contract dispute with AT&T.

NBC (Nexstar affiliate) for 2.5 months due to a contract dispute with AT&T.

And now possibly all the ESPN channels due to a contract dispute with AT&T.

Now I don’t know all the specifics of these negotiations, but I can readily identify what they all have in common.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 05:25:10 EDT »

My mom has Hulu live in her house. I’ve tried to watch live sports there- and I just can’t do it, because of the 2 (or more) minute delay. I like to follow along on Twitter, and I’ll know about a big play several minutes before I actually see it happen. Until that gets fixed, streaming TV is a non-starter in my house.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 05:46:46 EDT »

Now I don’t know all the specifics of these negotiations, but I can readily identify what they all have in common.

"It's AT&T" said the Master of the Obvious. AT&T wants all of the Uverse subscribers to move to Direct TV even thought this latest dispute involves Uverse and Direct TV. I believe that Uverse will be extinct within two years.  

A few months ago, I called Uverse for tech support. Somehow, I was connected to a person that continued to ask me about connecting to Direct TV. I kept saying that I wasn't interested and that I wanted tech support for Uverse but the woman on the line kept insisting that I sign up for Direct TV.

I'm going back to cable. I don't care how bad it is. I'm tired of being jerked around.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:03:32 EDT by droner » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 07:28:04 EDT »

My mom has Hulu live in her house. I’ve tried to watch live sports there- and I just can’t do it, because of the 2 (or more) minute delay. I like to follow along on Twitter, and I’ll know about a big play several minutes before I actually see it happen. Until that gets fixed, streaming TV is a non-starter in my house.

I went to streaming, then I went back to Dish Network because streaming was too aggravating, and now I'm back to streaming (Hulu Plus) because I got tired of being held hostage by overpriced satellite/cable contracts and garbage just like this. Not being able to follow Twitter while the game is going on is frustrating, but I've learned to do without it.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 02:34:09 EDT »

Yeah, it will probably happen, but I don’t think it will be today, otherwise they would say, “At such and such a time, these channels are going away.  I thought I heard it expires at the end of the month.  I had to get out the dang antenna to watch golf on CBS earlier this year.  I might join y’all and cut the cord as well.  I kinda like watching ME-TV over the air...

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 03:47:58 EDT »

Same here.  My #1criteria was sports coverage, and YTTV  laps the field.  And not one mnute of downtime in 9 months.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 08:43:30 EDT »

We kicked DishNetwork to the curb back in January in favor of Sling.  Cut our bill from $140 per month to $45.  Then in May Sling dropped the Fox Regional sports stations, which meant no Braves or Predators, which are two of the primary things I watch on TV.  I did the free trial thing with several options and ended up going with YouTubeTV and kept the bill at about the same $45 mark. 

We get pretty much everything we need.  The only sports station I watched before that we don't get now it the NFL Network, but that's ok even though I am going to miss the Army-UTSanAntonio game today.  I don't watch Thursday NFL games very often.  Usually watching either high school or college games on Thursday. 

Also don't get History and A&E, but I can see the programs (American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Swamp People primarily) on the apps I downloaded via Roku.  Just can't watch them during the time they originally air, but that's fine. 

We'll never go back to satellite, and of course, the reason we left Comcast some 10 or so years ago is because Comcast is the devil.  Streaming is the way to go. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 09:56:24 EDT »

Plus, and not to get too political- but Google (who owns Youtube) is currently ground zero in the battle over online privacy and censorship. I'm trying to ween myself off them. And while I realize it's impossible to completely quit Google, I can at least start by not directly giving them my money. If I were to ever switch to streaming, it wouldn't be through YTTV.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:58:31 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: