VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 02:53:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I've got the Vols on the big screen...  (Read 2704 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2019, 01:37:52 EDT »

...and the Preds on the small screen. I'm anticipating swapping them around halftime.  Hopefully the Vols force a change of plans.

Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 02:34:56 EDT »

The Vols are hanging tough.  I swore I wouldn't watch...but that changed.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 02:40:50 EDT »

I'd change those plans if I were you.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 02:55:57 EDT »

I thought the worst case scenario was Georgia scoring then getting the ball to start the second half. We gave them 50 seconds to score twice. Gonna be a 3 TD game by the time we get the ball back. Just no semblance of a pass rush. That’s bad against a QB like Fromm.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 03:04:05 EDT »

Vols played well for most of the first half. But that last 5:00 or so was pretty awful. I’ll keep watching (for the time being) but we all know how it goes from here.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 04:45:02 EDT »

Pleasantly surprised in the effort, but obviously we're still not good.

Assuming those injuries aren't serious, I have some hope for the back half of the season.
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 04:51:15 EDT »

Maurer absolutely looks like a better option at QB than JG, but I still don't see much to give me hope for anything better than maybe 2 more wins (UAB and Vanderbilt). I think the limited options on offense are frustrating Chaney. His play calling seems to lack identity. Defense is atrociously bad. I know the lack of talent, depth and experience are all factors, but it is beyond concerning that these guys struggle to get lined up correctly so often.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 04:53:06 EDT »

I'll say one thing: the first quarter and first part of the second quarter was a reminder of how much fun football can be when you have a QB who can stand in the pocket and zip the ball into tight spaces to receivers who can grab it. When is the last time we had that?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 05:20:10 EDT »

Maurer absolutely looks like a better option at QB than JG, but I still don't see much to give me hope for anything better than maybe 2 more wins (UAB and Vanderbilt). I think the limited options on offense are frustrating Chaney. His play calling seems to lack identity. Defense is atrociously bad. I know the lack of talent, depth and experience are all factors, but it is beyond concerning that these guys struggle to get lined up correctly so often.

Yep....We just can't score and without a running game good teams will pin their ears back and bring it. Our defense will not stop a team with a pulse...Can't score...can't stop. Bad Combo.

But they played hard....We are like those teams that are paid good money to come into your place. Play hard and compete for a spell.....the run out of gas and talent takes over.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 06:39:39 EDT »

I'll say one thing: the first quarter and first part of the second quarter was a reminder of how much fun football can be when you have a QB who can stand in the pocket and zip the ball into tight spaces to receivers who can grab it. When is the last time we had that?

Thought the same thing, "this is fun!"
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 04:10:34 EDT »

Cudos to Maurer for showing surprisingly solid poise in his first start, and to the team for hanging tough for most of the first half. 

But in the end, our deficiency on the DL in particular and our overall lack of SEC level talent reared it's ugly head. 

Be interesting to see how we come out against Mississippi Mistake next week, a team we are closer to in terms of SEC talent, than we've seen in Florida and UGA thus far. 

And barring injury, JG needs to continue to be a "great team mate" on the bench. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 08:44:01 EDT »

Cudos to Maurer for showing surprisingly solid poise in his first start, and to the team for hanging tough for most of the first half. 

But in the end, our deficiency on the DL in particular and our overall lack of SEC level talent reared it's ugly head. 

Be interesting to see how we come out against Mississippi Mistake next week, a team we are closer to in terms of SEC talent, than we've seen in Florida and UGA thus far. 

And barring injury, JG needs to continue to be a "great team mate" on the bench. 

Yeah, JG came in and threw three or four consecutive incompletes at the end of the game to remind everyone why he is benched.  I like him a lot as a person, seems like a good solid guy, but he just ain't got it at QB.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 10:00:25 EDT »

Yeah, JG came in and threw three or four consecutive incompletes at the end of the game to remind everyone why he is benched.  I like him a lot as a person, seems like a good solid guy, but he just ain't got it at QB.

Jordan was getting 5-6 yards a pop on that drive and we get to the 5 yard line and then Chaney decides to let Gitmoreworse throw it 4 straight times when he's proven for 3 years he can't do it.....Yep, that was the ticket.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 11:13:40 EDT »

Jordan was getting 5-6 yards a pop on that drive and we get to the 5 yard line and then Chaney decides to let Gitmoreworse throw it 4 straight times when he's proven for 3 years he can't do it.....Yep, that was the ticket.

Yeah.  Time was running out, so probably could not have run 4 consecutive times, but at least try one or two.

I thought the same about the drive near the end of the half.  Should have been at least one run in our last 2-3 plays prior to the missed FG.  It would have made the FG easier (or got a first down), likely take the dawgs off guard, potentially position the ball better for a FG attempt and most important, run the clock so that even if we come up empty uga can't score again.

Although I will say that uga probably got away with PI or holding on Calloway on the pass into the end zone, and I definitely above am not suggesting settling for FG over TD, but I am saying in case you don't get the TD a FG is a good consolation and why not call a play that has a good chance of a first down while making the FG easier.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: