VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 08:07:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 885 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:52:05 EDT »

Offense:
QB: C-/B  Maurer is a good QB, has a lot of skills but he made two bonehead throws in the redzone.  He also needs to learn how to slide.  That being said he is our best chance to win.  He  also support JG  and the team after the concussion.  JG was not asked to do much but when we need a pass he made them.  He seemed much more in rhythm today than he had been all year.  By all accounts he has taken the demotion about as well as one can and be supportive of the team. Pruitt had said multiple time that he needs to be ready when called and that he will win us a game going forward - he was and he did.

RBs:  B+  Ran hard.  Left a lot fewer yards on the field today.  In the last drive they were effective, first tim in a long time they have been in that situation.  Jordan has really come on

WRs:  B  Score downgraded a bit by poor downfield blocking, the exception being on the Byrd TD where a WR block sprung him to the endzone.  The receivers caught the ball well today but sometimes have difficulty getting separation, the 2nd Maurer pick is a prime example.

OL:  B+  Block much better today.  Were they perfect, no but much improved and far more consistent than they had been all year.  There was some nastiness displayed, taking blocks to the ground, sometimes during the echo of the whistle.  Pass blocking probably was the best all year.  Our QBs had time to go through their progressions for the most part.  Run blocking is still inconsistent but improved today as they did open some holes.

Coaching:  Thought Chenney had a good game plan.  Ran more inside (and had more success than I thought we would) than I thought, given the success teams has running wide against MSU. He seemed too conservative for my tastes with JG in but I suspect the defense playing well and the score were part of it.   When  we need a score at the end he called some good plays that were well executed.  We held the ball close to 6 min on that drive, first time in a LONG time we had done that

Defense:

DL:  A  Best game  by the DL in a LONG time.  They owned the LOS today.  The game was played in the MSU backfield.  They played their lanes well and tackled.  Got good push in the pass rush.  Between the OLBs and the DL they had 6 sacks today (7th was Thompson).  I can't remember far enough back to remember a similar performance against a Power 5 team.  They flat STUFFED the #1 rushing the SEC.  Kudos to them.

ILB:  B-  Poor pass coverage brought the grade down.  That is one area that Henry T needs to drastically improve on for example.  Bituli had a darn good game.  The entire LB group swarmed to the ball today, something that his been largely missing this year.

OLB:  B+  Played in the sack game (I see you Taylor).  Still took some poor angles.  Poorly executed at least one zone blitz.  If they play this well going forward we have a chance at 6 wins

DB:  B  Best game all year.  3 picks (though we lost Flowers with a broken leg on his pick).  2-3 of the sacks were coverage sacks.  Tackling was much improved.  Came off their coverages to hold the QB scrambles to fewer yards, a first this year.  Warrior had perhaps his best game in an orange uniform today.  When we blitzed corners the secondary rotated far better than they had been.  We also played quarters a couple of times today

Coaching:  A  Excellent game plan.  Felt the defensive calls were very good and showed confidence in the defense.

On a personal note, it felt damn good writing this report

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 10:57:54 EDT »

Agree with all.....And yes on Maurer. Needs to learn to get down...he's does not help us standing on the sidelines

And going forward if JG has to play turn him loose more or play Shrout.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 11:57:54 EDT »

Felt the secondary played outstanding. There were some coverage breakdowns but not too many. I felt like the majority of the sacks were cover sacks. Would like to see the DL get more push at times but the run defense was just outstanding overall.

Defense overall was by far the best effort since Pruitt has been here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: