VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 08:17:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reconsidering my pessimism a bit  (Read 2836 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:00:09 EDT »

...I know, this seems like a "duh" statement coming off a real, live SEC win. But really, it's not (just) about yesterday's game.

After the GSU loss, I called for a 1-11 season. To be clear, I still think this is a really, really bad team. But there have been a couple developments that I didn't see coming. First of all, this team, per all outward appearances, has still kept a positive attitude and still seems to be playing hard. Huge credit to Pruitt and staff for that. Recent editions of Vol Football would've checked out by now. Second, the bottom of the SEC is absolutely terrible. Historically terrible. Maybe the worst I've ever seen. And as luck would have it, that's mostly who we'll be playing after next weekend. I never thought I'd say this a few weeks ago, but I see a realistic path to bowl eligibility. If this team continues to play hard, they should beat UAB, UK, and Vandy. SHOULD. (but watch out for UAB- they're actually pretty good). Which means they'd just have to win one of Mizzou and USCe. Tall order, but not impossible.

I don't think it happens. I think we end up 5-7 again. But at least it no longer appears hopeless.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:08:59 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:17:04 EDT »

Agree, recent Vol squads would've quit by now.

The fight I saw against UGA is what made me perk up.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 02:59:09 EDT »

If this team continues to play hard, they should beat UAB, UK, and Vandy. SHOULD. (but watch out for UAB- they're actually pretty good). Which means they'd just have to win one of Mizzou and USCe. Tall order, but not impossible.

I don't think it happens. I think we end up 5-7 again. But at least it no longer appears hopeless.

If we beat USC, I believe that we'll win out and go 7-5. I'm hoping for a win over USC, it's the one game my wife and I will attend, and we're bringing our good friends who are USC fans.

Must. Beat. USC.

11B4PJ3F7
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:25:21 EDT »

I can't decide if I'm glass-half-full or glass-half-empty at this point. It's discouraging that most of us (myself included) were pleased with the fight and progression the team showed against UGA, yet we still got destroyed 43-14 and they lose to South Carolina a week later. (Obviously South Carolina's defense played out of its minds and Georgia didn't play well -- particularly Fromm, who easily had the worst game of his career.) On the other hand, there are some things to be encouraged by.

I still think Pruitt is in way over his head...but I like what he's molding the character of this team into as he continues to weed out those who don't belong.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 03:54:26 EDT »

Anything green will grow. Just got to keep growing. I just hope Bama doesn't undo our growth and mental altitude this weekend.

At the 10:20 mark of the 4th quarter UGA was up 15.....I felt good about that. Things went South quick after Maurer was darn near killed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:41:02 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 04:28:50 EDT »

FPI says big favorites over UAB and Vandy, but a dog to UK, though not a big one:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi/_/id/2633/tennessee-volunteers

Of course, it's just a simulation, with all the shortcomings of such.  

UAB is 5-1, but the only decent D1 team they have played is Western Kentucky, who they lost to.  The five wins are against an FCS school and four D1 schools that are a combined 3-22    Two of them, Rice and Akron, are winless. How a team manages to schedule two winless teams is beyond me, lol.  We certainly can't take them for granted, but so long as we play like we did against MSU, we should handle them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:32:20 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 04:30:38 EDT »

If we beat USC, I believe that we'll win out and go 7-5. I'm hoping for a win over USC, it's the one game my wife and I will attend, and we're bringing our good friends who are USC fans.

Must. Beat. USC.

Also planning to attend that one.  Preseason I wanted to attend either MSU or USCe, because those were key games (no desire to see us blown out by uga) on our quest for a bowl.  Couldn't make it this weekend, was going to grit my teeth and go to USC anyway, but now i'm actually looking forward to it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 03:04:24 EDT »

I can't decide if I'm glass-half-full or glass-half-empty at this point. It's discouraging that most of us (myself included) were pleased with the fight and progression the team showed against UGA, yet we still got destroyed 43-14 and they lose to South Carolina a week later. (Obviously South Carolina's defense played out of its minds and Georgia didn't play well -- particularly Fromm, who easily had the worst game of his career.) On the other hand, there are some things to be encouraged by.

I still think Pruitt is in way over his head...but I like what he's molding the character of this team into as he continues to weed out those who don't belong.

UGA game was way closer than the final score.  Just sayin'.
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 03:25:58 EDT »

UGA game was way closer than the final score.  Just sayin'.

Absolutely. The Florida game was, too. But both got away because we simply don't have the depth to close out those games. I'm just saying it's discouraging to think that South Carolina is still that far ahead of us in those terms.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 03:49:38 EDT »

Absolutely. The Florida game was, too. But both got away because we simply don't have the depth to close out those games. I'm just saying it's discouraging to think that South Carolina is still that far ahead of us in those terms.

Gotcha.  Also encouraging was our response this past weekend after the UGA loss... good to see them respond the right way.  Hope that continues as well.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 04:49:48 EDT »

I think 5-7 will be the record. We will win vs Vandy, UAB, UK, but lose to cocks, Mizzou, and Bama

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 11:10:46 EDT »

I felt earlier in the year after the shock of the Ga St and BYU losses wore off that this team had a shot at getting better as the year went on. Other than the obvious of JG regressing,I think it was a matter of the players with talent didn't have the experience yet and the players with experience weren't the most talented due to injuries and transfers etc.The depth just wasn't there. The O-line is starting to gel and Maurer has given the team the spark that was missing with JG.
The defense is starting to play well now that the young guys are not so new and are learning their roles better and are starting to play well together as a unit.
I think 5-7 or even 6-6 is possible if they stay healthy and continue to improve and if the coaches do their part.
With a little luck,anything is possible.. Go Vols!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:15:32 EDT by crockettman » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 06:58:26 EDT »

I think 5-7 will be the record. We will win vs Vandy, UAB, UK, but lose to cocks, Mizzou, and Bama

I think we have a good shot vs the cocks, in spite of their win over uga.  Last year Kentucky beat Florida who blew us out, but we dominated Kentucky.

We have played Junior really close three straight years, they might be on their 3rd-string QB (they snuck away with the win in spite of that Saturday), and we are improving. 

5-7 is certainly a reasonable projection at this point, but there is a shot at 6-6 still.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 07:43:52 EDT »

I think UK will be a toss-up.  But I more or less agree.  If we can beat either SC or Mizzou, we might have a good chance at 6 wins.  OTH, 4 wins is a definite possibility.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: