VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 03:52:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, nobody saw this coming...  (Read 4215 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2019, 01:27:10 EST »

Lil’ Penny, keeping up tiger high’s proud tradition of cheating. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/memphis-james-wiseman-the-nations-top-recruit-can-play-due-to-court-order-after-being-ruled-ineligible/

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 02:25:23 EST »

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 03:43:30 EST »

And Memphis and the kid gets a injunction from a Memphis Judge this after noon allowing him to play in the game tonight which he did.....I can't believe any college AD would allow him to play in a game tonight. I hope he plays in several games and they have to forfeit all of them.

You are seeing more and more programs telling the NCAA to stick it....LSU coach and player caught by the FBI...player played and coach is coaching....Kansas State...UNC  etc...etc.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 05:02:36 EST »

Memphis ain't a blue blood.

They may very well come out of this with a the NCAA backing down but they might want to be cautious. They aren't UNC, Kansas, Duke, etc. The NCAA is going to be forced, at some point, to take a stand if for no ther reason than to show "the others" in college sports that they can still carry a big stick. Either that or complete cower down to a rising tide of revolt, imo. They've already shown that they aren't fearful of punishing some while allowing others to skate by with little to no reprisals.

Memphis could be the place where they draw a line in the sand.

It was definitely a questionable move by the administration in Memphis. The NCAA, after the injunction, has issued a statement that it is the university's responsibility to make sure that their players are eligible.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:06:13 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 11:43:19 EST »

Just handed a 12 game suspension. That's better than a whole season and pretty light since Memphis thumbed their noses at the NCAA. Won't play against us.

https://wreg.com/2019/11/20/james-wiseman-must-sit-out-12-games-this-season-ncaa-says/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:49:20 EST by Tnphil » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 12:08:43 EST »

I wish he was going to play against us. Dang.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 12:29:38 EST »

Just handed a 12 game suspension. That's better than a whole season and pretty light since Memphis thumbed their noses at the NCAA. Won't play against us.

https://wreg.com/2019/11/20/james-wiseman-must-sit-out-12-games-this-season-ncaa-says/

That's the NCAA's version of saying, "We can't let them get away with thumbing their nose at us while we do nothing because it will ruin our enforcement division toothless."
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 01:04:27 EST »

That's the NCAA's version of saying, "We can't let them get away with thumbing their nose at us while we do nothing because it will ruin our enforcement division toothless."

Exactly....And Memphis will lawyer up again I bet and next he will get a time served suspension.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 02:54:19 EST »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/report-ncaa-to-target-memphis-with-major-infractions-case-for-playing-james-wiseman/ar-BBX4bBm

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 03:36:58 EST »

Memphis, whatever pretensions they may have, is not UNC or Kensucky.  Hammer gonna fall, yeah.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 04:41:06 EST »

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/mark-giannotto/2019/11/20/james-wiseman-suspension-ncaa-memphis-basketball-penny-hardaway/2580197001/
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 04:51:33 EST »

Well, the writer clearly hates the NCAA but grudgingly notes that 1 cent is a complete and utter MORON!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 05:04:26 EST »

Well, the writer clearly hates the NCAA but grudgingly notes that 1 cent is a complete and utter MORON!

Yeah....He bashed Memphis and all involved there and hated on the NCAA at the same time. He covered all the bases.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 09:32:31 EST »

And I just don't buy the narrative that "Penny had no way of knowing he'd be the Memphis coach" in 2017. That's BS. At the time they had an unpopular coach in Tubby Smith who everyone knew was living on borrowed time. Don't tell me that Penny wasn't already in deep discussion with UM's power brokers at that time. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he promised to deliver Weisman and others as condition of his hire.

I also doubt that the Weismans only got "moving expenses" as part of the deal. What kind of parents would move their kid from one of the most prestigious private schools in the state to...Memphis East? For moving expenses only? It's not like Weisman needed the extra publicity boost. He was already the #1 rising recruit in America at Ensworth.

I mean, it's Memphis. Cutting corners is what they do. It's what they've done for decades, and they'll never learn. Whenever they start recruiting among the elite, you can be sure that the other shoe is about to drop.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 06:31:36 EST »

Good thing he didn't have a BBQ for him. He would have really got hammered....SMH

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 08:31:27 EST »

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/07/03/ncaa-slams-former-uconn-coach-lies-during-investigation-minor-rules-violations

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3244720
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:32:58 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 11:56:06 EST »

Parrish pulls no punches here...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/memphis-decision-to-defy-the-ncaa-so-publicly-backfires-proves-costly-for-its-program-and-james-wiseman/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: