VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 11:28:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Pruitt postgame comment  (Read 1599 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2019, 12:54:16 EST »

“I think it’s pretty simple. Unfortunately, we lost a couple players early in camp. We turned the ball over; we didn’t get turnovers. We started playing at a little higher level as the season went on. We probably tackled better. There wasn’t a magic pill we all took, we just started playing better.” On the growth of the football team since last year: “Unless you were here the first day that I walked in this building, I don’t think you understand how far we actually have come. Coach (Phillip) Fulmer was here. It’s a long way, I can assure you of that. Our guys, I’m excited for them – the way they feel, the confidence they have. We’re playing with so much more confidence. They’re believing in themselves, believing in each other. If you think back over the last five wins, there are just different points in the game where somebody stepped up, a unit stepped up and found a way. That’s what good football teams do. You have to find a way, even when you’re maybe not playing at your best. I look at what our assistant coaches have done, keeping these guys together, keeping them believing. And them finding a way, finding a way to get it done. And it’s been different guys. Tonight, it was Eric Gray on offense. It’s been different kind of all through the season. I just think it’s a mark of guys that believe in what we’re trying to get done, they believe in each other and they believe in themselves.”

On the growth of the team since August:

“Well, the way we’re playing now is what I saw in August, but you have to go play that way on Saturdays. I thought we had a chance to have a good football team. We stubbed our toe a little bit early on; that’s nobody’s fault but mine. But the kids stuck together, and it’s good to see all the hard work and effort and the things that they do paying off for them. We have lots of momentum. Our kids are excited about being at Tennessee. They’re excited about the future. I’m excited about it. I’m looking forward to bowl practice so we can continue to develop as a football team. We have a long way to go to where we want to get to, and we want to finish. We have one more opportunity to finish, and that’s something that we’re going to focus on. Right now, we want to focus on finishing in the classroom. We’ve got two weeks left in school, and our guys will do that. That’s what we’re focusing on.”
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 02:05:56 EST »

Whatever Pruitt’s other shortcomings, I’ll give him this: his players seem to love playing for him. He never lost the locker room through all of the early struggles. That’s half the battle, and that’s something his predecessors (even Fulmer) never did.

Whatever happens in the bowl game, this program has momentum. I said a few weeks ago that my minimum expectation for next year was 8-4. At the time, I didn’t think that was actually realistic. Now, I won’t be shocked if we better that mark by a game or two.

I’m still not yet sold on Pruitt. But I’m closer than I’ve ever been.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 03:02:39 EST »

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:59:58 EST »

Whatever Pruitt’s other shortcomings, I’ll give him this: his players seem to love playing for him. He never lost the locker room through all of the early struggles. That’s half the battle, and that’s something his predecessors (even Fulmer) never did.

Whatever happens in the bowl game, this program has momentum. I said a few weeks ago that my minimum expectation for next year was 8-4. At the time, I didn’t think that was actually realistic. Now, I won’t be shocked if we better that mark by a game or two.

I’m still not yet sold on Pruitt. But I’m closer than I’ve ever been.

I'll walk back what I said below about expecting to beat one of OU, FL, Uga or bammer (in order of increasing difficulty). I now think that's a very realistic expectation.

I am going to keep (for now) my expectations to 8-4, because we may drop one we are supposed to win also, but may reassess over the summer.   9-3 is definitely not unrealistic though.  I thought it was this year, but if we bother to show up against Ga State and don't blow a coverage vs BYU we'd be there.  Pretty amazing.

Having said that, we easily could also have lost to Mizzou and UK, both one-score games.  UK was particularly close.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: