VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:36:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that the regular season is over who do you think is the best team in the  (Read 3698 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2019, 04:39:46 EST »

country? Think is the key word here. That's why college football will never have a true champion. Ten different people will have ten different answers to who they THINK should be in the playoff. That's the problem with having a committee decide.Back to the original question....I THINK the Bucknuts are the best team. Followed by Clemson(gulp), LSU and UGa. I keep thinking LSU's defense is going to come back to haunt them. After the conference championships I will probably change my list. Even if LSU beats UGa, if they played the 5th and 6th place teams..don't you think UGa would beat Utah or OU?   My point is do you think a 2 loss UGa is better than 1 loss Utah or Ok? 

volsboyinsodak
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:56:13 EST »

Right now, I THINK Florida Gators are playing better than UGA. As bad as LSU D played earlier, I THINK the UGA offense is infinitely worse than LSU D. I THINK LSU will run up the score big time on UGA. I THINK UGA will be playing catch up all game.

I THINK the Bears will finally beat the Sooners to put the country out of the misery of watching the Sooners getting crushed by No.1 Buckeyes. I THINK the UTES will beat the Ducks handily and make the playoffs. I THINK the 4 playoff teams will be:

1. Ohio State   2. LSU   3. Klempsum  4. Utah with Ohio State and LSU facing off in title game.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 05:30:12 EST »

Right now, I THINK Florida Gators are playing better than UGA. As bad as LSU D played earlier, I THINK the UGA offense is infinitely worse than LSU D. I THINK LSU will run up the score big time on UGA. I THINK UGA will be playing catch up all game.

I THINK the Bears will finally beat the Sooners to put the country out of the misery of watching the Sooners getting crushed by No.1 Buckeyes. I THINK the UTES will beat the Ducks handily and make the playoffs. I THINK the 4 playoff teams will be:

1. Ohio State   2. LSU   3. Klempsum  4. Utah with Ohio State and LSU facing off in title game.

I agree with this.....What will get interesting (if) Oregon beats Utah Friday night and Baylor beats OU which will give both of these teams a split. Another (if) is if UGA beats LSU will that get 2 SEC teams in? No way do I see LSU dropping out (if) they do lose to UGA.

I  think it's going to be a wild ride this weekend.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 05:45:25 EST »

2 and 3 play the first round. That makes it easier on the Buckeyes if LSU and the Tiglets play each other first. The only reason I think UGa has any chance against LSU is their defense. LSU's d is bad.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:20:57 EST »

OSU and, unfortunately,  the danged tiglets are the two best teams. LSU's defense is suspect.  Oklahoma's defense hasn't been good although it has gotten better. I don't think Utah has the depth to keep up with any of the others. Even if UGA beats LSU and gets into the playoffs, their offense has gone missing and probably can't stand up to OSU or the tiglets.

Assuming that everything goes as I expect, OSU plays the danged tiglets for the championship.

On another note, I'm tired of hearing whining Dabo complain that everybody is against them. They have played the sorriest schedule. In all honesty, and I hate to be honest about the tiglets, they are required to play the pitiful ACC teams and they made a decent try to beef up the schedule but didn't know that A&M wouldn't be rated.

But facts are facts. If the tiglets lose to a 29 point underdog UVA team there is no way the tiglets should be in the playoffs instead of another one loss team considering the tiglet schedule. So, Dabo is using the "everybody is against us" schtick just in case they lose Saturday, hoping you won't remember that they lost to a 29 point underdog! What a whiner. Hey Dodo, if you lose to a 29 point underdog everybody will be against you. Dumbass.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 10:13:08 EST »

It's pretty much a consensus that if uga wins, LSU is in.  I don't think that will happen, I share the observations about uga's offense and in fact called it very early in the season, to expressed skepticism of some.

Having said that, I will observe that uga is more in the mold of the traditional team that wins championships, i.e., "defense wins championships". Scoring defense is the single most correlatable statistic to winning in college football, and it's not even close.   It doesn't matter if you can't score much if the other team can't either.  Saban teams were classically that way prior to Tua, and although he did win the 2017 MNC with Tua, Tua literally only started during the playoffs so that team was still built on the old mode.  New mode didn't work so well this year or last.  Enter LSU, a team that resemlbes the Tua version of bammer, and Saturday's game becomes very interesting.

Long story short, uga may have a shot due to having a much better D than LSU and an offense that takes less chances.  We will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 10:50:35 EST »

I think UGA "could" be that level of team but their offensive playcalling and Fromm's limitations are holding them back.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 11:33:30 EST »

As much as I hate OSU, if they face UGA and beat them while Fields goes off, I'd laugh.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 12:42:24 EST »

If UGa played Utah and OU today, I think they would be favored over both of them. If then, they lose to LSU, why should they still not be in the playoff. They would still be better than Utah and OU.  UGa has more quality wins than either of them despite losing to SCar. A physical SEC team should beat a one loss PAC or Big 12 team. Even if they get their second loss against LSU.  I would like to see UGa play OSU and Fields.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 04:04:43 EST »

Imo, it's so tough to compare these top teams across conference lines, especially the defenses.

I think that OSU, LSU, and Clemson all deserve spots in the playoff. The fourth spot is the biggest question, obviously. I don't know who I'd select if I had to choose.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 07:35:48 EST »

As much as I hate OSU, if they face UGA and beat them while Fields goes off, I'd laugh.

Absolutely!  I might root for uga in the SECC just to see this happen 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 06:07:28 EST »

Imo, it's so tough to compare these top teams across conference lines, especially the defenses.

I think that OSU, LSU, and Clemson all deserve spots in the playoff. The fourth spot is the biggest question, obviously. I don't know who I'd select if I had to choose.
Just asking....How many SEC teams would be undefeated playing Clemson's schedule? Hell Auburn would run the table with that schedule. Would Clemson be undefeated playing Auburn's schedule? Hmmm.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 07:27:52 EST »

Just asking....How many SEC teams would be undefeated playing Clemson's schedule? Hell Auburn would run the table with that schedule. Would Clemson be undefeated playing Auburn's schedule? Hmmm.

That's not the question, though.  The topic question is "who is the best team".  To answer your question, I would say that I doubt that Clemson would be undefeated playing in the SECW but I cannot know the answer definitively.  Would Auburn run the table with Clemson's schedule?  I think that they would stand a very good chance but cannot know for certain.

I think that Clemson's schedule is weak (from every objective comparison that I think you can make).  That said, they played in the same conference last season and ended up atop the college football world.  The fact that they play a weak schedule does not preclude them from still being the best team in college football.

You did, however, hit on my earlier point I think.  The fact that there are different conferences and different levels makes it very problematic, imo, to determine the best teams in the country.  There is a great deal of subjectivity in the discussion.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 10:14:32 EST »

Would Auburn beat the shizzle out of bammer after playing that weak schedule, like they did earlier this year?   

Well Auburn did beat bammer, though it didn't approach the epic beat down Clemson put on them. 

So maybe Auburn would run the table in the ACC, but come closer to losing than Clemson is my guess.

Until proven otherwise, Clemson is the best team in the country by virtue of the crimson ass-kicking they delivered last January.  Who gives a shizzle what schedule they played.  It will be settled in the playoffs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: