VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:02:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC suspends Jj for the first half of the Bowl Game  (Read 4020 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2019, 11:17:15 EST »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:32:27 EST »

No words.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 11:38:17 EST »

This is all because of that shizzlehead DJ Shockley saying it was intentional when he doesn't know that as a fact.  If you look at the video you can see JJ has hands on him from 3 different folks (including a Vandy asst) as he is getting up.  And he DEFINITELY is not looking down as he is getting up.  They need to appeal this MickeyFickey.  

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 12:22:59 EST »

Well that sucks. Hope it gets overturned. 

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 03:40:12 EST »

Buncha junk!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:55:57 EST »

I didn't see anything that proved intent on JJ's part as far as stepping on the kid from Vandy. There was an obvious scuffle but I can't clearly determine the aggressor/instigator and do not see how the SEC office could either (unless they have other views that I haven't seen). I also cannot clearly see that punches were thrown by JJ or anyone else. The incident looked ugly and I wish that it hadn't happened, but from what I saw this is a dangerous precedent to set.

I have no problem with the SEC office stepping in with additional punishments in situations where there is evidence of unsportsmanlike acts, so far as there is uniformity.

It's incredibly hypocritical to apply a punishment in this incident when the same office allowed the Raekwon Davis incident to be handled internally by Saban and the Bama athletic department.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 07:34:58 EST »

It's incredibly hypocritical to apply a punishment in this incident when the same office allowed the Raekwon Davis incident to be handled internally by Saban and the Bama athletic department.

Yep. 

And @Coupe, agree that Shockleys' comments made it worse

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 04:01:28 EST »

I was upset last night when this was announced, and still am, but after thinking about it I do kind of understand why they handed down the punishment.  Clearly JJ was doing some "extra" stuff there and we can all agree he has a history of "extra" stuff, that's even hurt his team in some cases.  I love him to death and his last run through the T was one of the saddest ones in many years, but let's call it like it is.. if he was a player on another team we'd label him a "thug".  But he's ours and we love him.  His dawg-ness is what makes him special, for sure.

And I really hate the fact that the SEC has not punished others for similar and even worse looking incidents, but at the same time... All JJ had to do was get up after the initial hit.  But he hit him and was on top of him clearly going "extra" and it went from there.

No, you cannot tell for sure from the video that it was his intent to step on the guy's face.  But the other extra stuff right before it coupled with JJ's body of work, I see why the SEC did what they did.  Don't like it, but I understand somewhat.  Personally, my opinion, I do think JJ meant to step on the guy.. but that's me.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 04:11:42 EST »

I was upset last night when this was announced, and still am, but after thinking about it I do kind of understand why they handed down the punishment.  Clearly JJ was doing some "extra" stuff there and we can all agree he has a history of "extra" stuff, that's even hurt his team in some cases.  I love him to death and his last run through the T was one of the saddest ones in many years, but let's call it like it is.. if he was a player on another team we'd label him a "thug".  But he's ours and we love him.  His dawg-ness is what makes him special, for sure.

And I really hate the fact that the SEC has not punished others for similar and even worse looking incidents, but at the same time... All JJ had to do was get up after the initial hit.  But he hit him and was on top of him clearly going "extra" and it went from there.

No, you cannot tell for sure from the video that it was his intent to step on the guy's face.  But the other extra stuff right before it coupled with JJ's body of work, I see why the SEC did what they did.  Don't like it, but I understand somewhat.  Personally, my opinion, I do think JJ meant to step on the guy.. but that's me.

JJ seemed to get riled at the time he was getting up.  There seemed to be a pause before he got up and maybe the the vandy player grabbed him or said something or maybe JJ just went off for no reason, but JJ definitely got too animated.  I don't think he meant to step on the dudes face, but he clearly did.  Did he mean to stomp on the player or stomp right near the player - yeah, could be, or it could be JJ just went a little crazy - got a little too hyped up after the big hit.  The hit was legal I thought, but borderline and really unnecessary.  However, I think this suspension is all about the impression that JJ stomped on his face intentionally, and that is BS.  And maybe the SEC folks are still clutching their pearls over the Mason Rudolph incident.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 04:55:01 EST »

I completely agree with this, except for being able to say that I think that he intentionally stepped on the kid.  I definitely think that is a possibility, but I'm just not completely comfortable saying that.

Life is one decision right after another, 24/7/365.  Making decisions is the easy part - living with the consequences of those decisions is the difficult part, especially when you make poor decisions.  JJ made a poor decision and must now live with the results of that decision.  For that reason I'm OK with the SEC office suspending him, but I also see the injustice that is being brought up when compared to other incidents.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 05:05:58 EST »

JJ seemed to get riled at the time he was getting up.  There seemed to be a pause before he got up and maybe the the vandy player grabbed him or said something or maybe JJ just went off for no reason, but JJ definitely got too animated.  I don't think he meant to step on the dudes face, but he clearly did.  Did he mean to stomp on the player or stomp right near the player - yeah, could be, or it could be JJ just went a little crazy - got a little too hyped up after the big hit.  The hit was legal I thought, but borderline and really unnecessary.  However, I think this suspension is all about the impression that JJ stomped on his face intentionally, and that is BS.  And maybe the SEC folks are still clutching their pearls over the Mason Rudolph incident.

I also think JJ was noticeably and visibly frustrated throughout the game over not getting the ball.  You know he wanted to have a monster game against those guys.  Kinda seems he unloaded his frustrations and other emotions on that play.  I know and agree, his raw emotion is a big reason he's so good... But imo he took it a bit too far, did some stuff he shouldn't be doing.  I don't think he planned it, but the situation boiled over and from everything we can see, it boiled over because of JJ.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:10:13 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 05:07:01 EST »

I completely agree with this, except for being able to say that I think that he intentionally stepped on the kid.  I definitely think that is a possibility, but I'm just not completely comfortable saying that.

Totally fair. 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 06:02:05 EST »

Did he do it maliciously or are we just looking at it with orange colored glasses and making excuses. I haven't seen it so I can't say. Speak amoungst yourselves.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:44 EST »

I think JJ just got caught up in the moment.....excited...surrounded by teammates, equipment, wires, coaches. I have no idea if the Vandy player said something...did something but it looked like JJ was going for the pen in a WWF match. When he got up it looked like his helmet was twisted and chin strap was up around his eye.

I don't think the stepping on the head was intentional...with all the commotion in that small area I think it just happened. I also agree that if was reversed we'd probably feel it was done on purpose. I read yesterday that a Miss State player was suspended for the 1st half of their bowl game in 2014 for kicking a player in their last regular season game.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:20:21 EST by Tnphil » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 07:15:22 EST »

I'm not usually a homer on these issues. I catch flack from the Vol Twitter mob for calling out our own who are acting like punks. I want players to represent this university with class and character, no matter who they are. Derek Barnett is our most dominant DL of the last 20 years, yet he's one of my least-favorite players because he consistently did dumb stuff to hurt or jeopardize the team.

With that said, I just don't see anything that justifies the SEC's decision. I can't look at that video and say conclusively that Jennings accidentally stepped on the dude's face...but I sure can't look at it and say conclusive that he did mean to, either. If he meant to do it, a half-game suspension is too light. If he didn't mean to do it, a half-game suspension is too much. Even the Vandy homers in the media admit that there's no way you can look at the video and determine Given what we know about #15, I personally think that would be out of character for him. He's no choir boy, and it wouldn't surprise me too much to find out he meant to do it, but my gut says he didn't do it on purpose.

My biggest beef with this is the SEC's hypocrisy. A lot of people are saying this sets a dangerous precedent. I don't agree with that. When every decision you make is made arbitrarily, there is no precedent.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 07:19:16 EST »

My biggest beef with this is the SEC's hypocrisy. A lot of people are saying this sets a dangerous precedent. I don't agree with that. When every decision you make is made arbitrarily, there is no precedent.

In my first post above, I started to talk about precedent and then realized that there would be no such thing.  I agree with you 100% in this regard.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 07:49:10 EST »

In my first post above, I started to talk about precedent and then realized that there would be no such thing.  I agree with you 100% in this regard.

Yeah, kind of like the NCAA transfer rules.  No precedent, seemingly Willy Nilly.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 07:29:44 EST »

Whether he meant to step on the kid or not or did or not I don't know. What I do know is if you just get up and walk away without all the extra stuff like ripping the dude's helmet off,you don't get penalized by the SEC.
I agree that he most likely got frustrated and took it out on the kid. Hopefully he will come out with his hair on fire in the 2nd half and have a monster game without all the extra stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: