VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 07:57:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Tennessee's football coaching salaries ranked nationally in 2019  (Read 3988 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2019, 06:45:07 EST »

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/2019-Tennessee-Vols-football-coaching-staff-salaries-ranking-updated-USA-Today-database-140336462/

According to the updated USA Today coaching salary database, Tennessee's 10-man coaching staff had the fifth-highest combined salary ($6.985 million) in the nation, and Jim Chaney was the second-highest-paid offensive coordinator in college football this year.

Only Alabama (7,541,277), Clemson ($7.41 million), Ohio State ($7.245 million) and Texas A&M (7,145,215) had higher-paid coaching staffs than Tennessee, which was ahead of SEC rivals LSU ($6.645 million) and Georgia (6,212,935) with Michigan ($6.005 million), Texas ($5,955,699) and Washington ($5,940,048) rounding out the top 10, though the database doesn't have financial figures from private schools such as Notre Dame and Southern California.

Tennessee also joined Alabama, Michigan and South Carolina in having two seven-figure coordinators. Clemson has three.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 09:55:24 EST »

I hope our return on investment improves quickly.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:04:53 EST »

You are blind as a bat and more stupid than gomer pyle

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 01:31:25 EST »

3 of the 4 teams that outpay us are in the playoffs. I say they have spent their money better. What else do you see differnt

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 02:18:19 EST »

3 of the 4 teams that outpay us are in the playoffs. I say they have spent their money better. What else do you see differnt
You are as fizzleing CLUELESS as the day is LONG!  You make trolls cringe!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 08:43:41 EST »

It already has, and it will continue to do so.

Like Pruitt said when he first got to Knoxville, Tennessee already has a program, they just need players.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 03:53:26 EST »

It already has, and it will continue to do so.

Like Pruitt said when he first got to Knoxville, Tennessee already has a program, they just need players.   

Pruitt's second year and we've got what, three all SEC freshmen one of them also being a freshman all American?  Really promising and this should pay dividends in recruiting.

Yeah we're paying the staff a lot, but you don't go from the roster Butch left to Clemson/Alabama/OSU in two years.  Lol, that's insanity.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 03:55:17 EST »

You really don't know anything about anything if you really think it's possible to go from the roster Butch left to the playoffs in two years, no matter what we pay the staff.

So to say "they spent their money better" is a really ignorant statement.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 04:40:21 EST »

Yep. I kept telling everyone during the "Pruitt is in over his head" panic that we had a great staff and that when he inherited a team that had to be taught "how to practice" it was insane to expect SECC caliber team in 1 yr. I tried to encourage patience with the expectation that the team would be much better by mid-season. It will take 2 more good classes to achieve the depth of talent we need to be consistently competing with the top echelon.          
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 04:49:07 EST »

Yep. I kept telling everyone during the "Pruitt is in over his head" panic that we had a great staff and that when he inherited a team that had to be taught "how to practice" it was insane to expect SECC caliber team in 1 yr. I tried to encourage patience with the expectation that the team would be much better by mid-season. It will take 2 more good classes to achieve the depth of talent we need to be consistently competing with the top echelon.          
Agreed

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 05:49:09 EST »

You are as fizzleing CLUELESS as the day is LONG!  You make trolls cringe!

Like I have said previously volsboy would find something to complain about if Barnes and company went 40-0 and won all the games and the National Title in Basketball.  All of us:  Wooohooooo Barnes and Company won the Natty and the Vols are the Champions of the NCAA......volsboy's hot take "Yeah they won the natty but their shorts were too long and the Tennessee on their chests looked out of size to the uniforms"

I guess his glass will always be 3/4 empty no matter how good Pruitt is as a coach or Barnes or anyone else. Since he knows everything why doesn't he take over the duties as the Athletic Director.  Oops I forgot he doesn't know everything!!!!!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 06:56:08 EST »

My point is if we are paying that much it will be difficult to get a good return on investment no matter what. There are 120 teams paying less than UT does.  The Vols will have to become an SECC contender every year to come close to justify those salaries. I hope Pruitt can pull that off. How many buyouts are we still on the hook for? That is a heavy burden financially that can be put to good use when all buyouts are done. How good do you feel the Vols will have to get to justify those salaries. I would expect 9-10 wins every season eventually. Once that talent and depth gets there it could happen.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 07:03:57 EST »

You really don't know anything about anything if you really think it's possible to go from the roster Butch left to the playoffs in two years, no matter what we pay the staff.

So to say "they spent their money better" is a really ignorant statement.
They have spent their money better. Most of them do not have gazillion dollars in buyouts to pay. All of those bad hires are on the Athletic Dept. No I don't expect them to be in the playoffs very soon. But you can't justify paying that much from here on out  and just getting 7-8 win teams to show for it. Pruitt has a lot of pressure on him, that was not all of his doing, to produce. Sooner or later if we are paying salaries like the Buckeyes, he will be expected to produce like the Buckeyes. Or is that not a fair thing to expect down the road?

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 09:15:33 EST »

They have spent their money better. Most of them do not have gazillion dollars in buyouts to pay. All of those bad hires are on the Athletic Dept. No I don't expect them to be in the playoffs very soon. But you can't justify paying that much from here on out  and just getting 7-8 win teams to show for it. Pruitt has a lot of pressure on him, that was not all of his doing, to produce. Sooner or later if we are paying salaries like the Buckeyes, he will be expected to produce like the Buckeyes. Or is that not a fair thing to expect down the road?
You are a fizzleING MORON!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 12:41:15 EST »

My point is if we are paying that much it will be difficult to get a good return on investment no matter what. There are 120 teams paying less than UT does.  The Vols will have to become an SECC contender every year to come close to justify those salaries. I hope Pruitt can pull that off. How many buyouts are we still on the hook for? That is a heavy burden financially that can be put to good use when all buyouts are done. How good do you feel the Vols will have to get to justify those salaries. I would expect 9-10 wins every season eventually. Once that talent and depth gets there it could happen.

It's all relative.  If Pruitt gets us to annual 10-2/11-1/12-0 stage with annual in the middle of the competition for SEC East crown, he has succeeded IMO.  At that point, I would not bitch because maybe we were second to Florida and they paid their staff 10K less than ours.  Perspective.

My guess is, Pruitt could make the SEC East SECC rep two of three years, win one, and you would bitch about the time we didn't go and that we should not have lost one of two.  I can almost guarantee you would.  Whereas I would say "mission accomplished, that's hard to do in the SEC".

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 12:53:53 EST »

It's all relative.  If Pruitt gets us to annual 10-2/11-1/12-0 stage with annual in the middle of the competition for SEC East crown, he has succeeded IMO.  At that point, I would not bitch because maybe we were second to Florida and they paid their staff 10K less than ours.  Perspective.

My guess is, Pruitt could make the SEC East SECC rep two of three years, win one, and you would bitch about the time we didn't go and that we should not have lost one of two.  I can almost guarantee you would.  Whereas I would say "mission accomplished, that's hard to do in the SEC".

You are right, it's perspective. 3 of the 4 teams with higher paid staffs expect to compete for the playoff every year. The 4th one is aTm. Would you honestly be happy paying our staff as much as we do and just settling for an SECe title if/when Pruitt gets all of HIS pieces in place. Those salaries warrant pressure and expectations. Knowing what our staff makes compared to others, what is the over/under for how long it takes for him to win a SECCg or how long before he is expected to.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 01:05:04 EST »

You are right, it's perspective. 3 of the 4 teams with higher paid staffs expect to compete for the playoff every year. The 4th one is aTm. Would you honestly be happy paying our staff as much as we do and just settling for an SECe title if/when Pruitt gets all of HIS pieces in place. Those salaries warrant pressure and expectations. Knowing what our staff makes compared to others, what is the over/under for how long it takes for him to win a SECCg or how long before he is expected to.

Georgia and LSU are not that far behind us.  Bammer is the highest paid, and their results speak for themselves.  Tamu has obviously underachieved, just like us.  Actually Tamu is a great team to compare to since we both finished 7-5 this year, but guess what, our SEC record is better (and yeah, I know they played Clemson), but I'll take how we ended the season over how Tamu ended it any day.

Georgia and LSU have only made the playoffs one out of three years. Thus I guess we can conclude that they are both failures, since according to you we must make the playoffs every year, right?

On the contrary, since there are two teams higher paid than us in the SEC, we should only make the playoffs once every three years, exactly the scenario I laid out.

So your point is...?????   

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2019, 04:36:42 EST »

Georgia and LSU are not that far behind us.  Bammer is the highest paid, and their results speak for themselves.  Tamu has obviously underachieved, just like us.  Actually Tamu is a great team to compare to since we both finished 7-5 this year, but guess what, our SEC record is better (and yeah, I know they played Clemson), but I'll take how we ended the season over how Tamu ended it any day.

Georgia and LSU have only made the playoffs one out of three years. Thus I guess we can conclude that they are both failures, since according to you we must make the playoffs every year, right?

On the contrary, since there are two teams higher paid than us in the SEC, we should only make the playoffs once every three years, exactly the scenario I laid out.

So your point is...?????   
Not what I meant. I mean that teams that are paying that much should be in the playoff conversation every year. No they aren't going to make it every year. Hell making it once is tough. Its been the same old teams except LSU in the playoff most of the time, with Notre Dame and Washington thrown in there once for good measure. Eventually you are going to have to win something to justify that salary. Being third in the SECe will not cut it in a year or two.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 04:38:39 EST »

I mean that teams that are paying that much should be in the playoff conversation every year.

I know you trip over yourself to be the Voice of Reason around here but do you even believe the drivel you post? You ignore the fact that there's a process involved to building a playoff contender. It's not like someone can be paid to snap their fingers and have it magically happen overnight.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 08:23:22 EST »

I know you trip over yourself to be the Voice of Reason around here but do you even believe the drivel you post? You ignore the fact that there's a process involved to building a playoff contender. It's not like someone can be paid to snap their fingers and have it magically happen overnight.
Can't you read? I said when Pruitt gets all the pieces in place he needs to contend,  people are not going to accept being third in the SECe very long.  With those salaries why shouldn't fans expect at least a Top 10 team every year and compete for a playoff spot sporadically.  About all the other schools that pay that well expect it.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 09:01:37 EST »

Can't you read? I said when Pruitt gets all the pieces in place he needs to contend,  people are not going to accept being third in the SECe very long.  With those salaries why shouldn't fans expect at least a Top 10 team every year and compete for a playoff spot sporadically.  About all the other schools that pay that well expect it.

Why do you ask, you have shown you are incapable of independent thought or cognitive thinking.period.dot.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: